Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE card upgrade

tag
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

GE card upgrade

I have an offer to upgrade my Gap card to a VISA.  Does anyone know if this will be a hard pull or report as a new TL?

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GE card upgrade

Wow congrats... I guess you made GE happy Smiley Happy 

Some people have gotten this upgrade offer with their Old Navy accounts, and with their Wal Mart accounts (Discover network)

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
learnin113
Established Contributor

@snowangel wrote:

I have an offer to upgrade my Gap card to a VISA.  Does anyone know if this will be a hard pull or report as a new TL?

Soft pull.  New TL.  Your old account will close.

Message 3 of 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Oh no, I just called GE a little while ago and they told me no new TL so I went ahead and upgraded.  

Message 4 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@snowangel wrote:

Oh no, I just called GE a little while ago and they told me no new TL so I went ahead and upgraded.  

Smiley Surprised

I think your in for a surprise.....check your CR's soon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I guess i can't be too disappointed, my CL went from $871 to $4K!!  But I could live without another new TL reporting.  When I called in the rep really seemed to know what she was talking about  so I felt confident and took her word. 

Any chance it will keep the same open date and payment history? That would surely make me feel better.

Message 6 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@snowangel wrote:

I guess i can't be too disappointed, my CL went from $871 to $4K!!  But I could live without another new TL reporting.  When I called in the rep really seemed to know what she was talking about  so I felt confident and took her word. 

Any chance it will keep the same open date and payment history? That would surely make me feel better.

Nope, your CR will show your old account's history and your new account's history. I think it's worth it because of the new higher CL and the ability to use it outside of Gap. I use it to earn extra reward dollars. I think you'll like it. Congrats on the upgrade and new CL!

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 7 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Always upgrade GAP to Visa if offered.  Everytime I've seen it done the CL increase has been rather massive.

Message 8 of 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

boom - are they still generous with CLIs every 4 months or should I expect to stay where I am with that limiti now?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.