Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE cards cli question

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

GE cards cli question

I'm just wondering..... For those who got credit limit increases on their GE cards, is there a better chance of getting the increase approved if there is a $0 balance?

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GE cards cli question

@kobe2012 wrote:

I'm just wondering..... For those who got credit limit increases on their GE cards, is there a better chance of getting the increase approved if there is a $0 balance?

Yes, if you charge, then PIF... expect an Auto CLI

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Honestly, I dont know if it matters a whole lot  ? I have gone thru the automated process every 4 months and I have never gotten outright denied. I have tried both with 0 balance and with carrying a small balance. I started off with a 600CL and in about 16 months am up to 3100CL on a GE Walmart account... ymmv

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 3 of 9
Anf_dude
Contributor

I Recently Logged Into My ANF Credit Account To Check My Balance As I HaD Already Sent A Payment, And To My Surprise, my Credit Line Was Incresed By $300. I Always Pay Before Due Date And Keep A Balance Of Only $100 From Month To Month. I've Only Had It For 6 Months Or So. 

Message 4 of 9
Jlu
Established Contributor

Anf_dude wrote:

I Recently Logged Into My ANF Credit Account To Check My Balance As I HaD Already Sent A Payment, And To My Surprise, my Credit Line Was Incresed By $300. I Always Pay Before Due Date And Keep A Balance Of Only $100 From Month To Month. I've Only Had It For 6 Months Or So. 

Wow That Is Really Annoying To Read

But yes, I would imagine having a low utilization on that card would help them feel more comfortable with extending more credit. I certainly wouldn't extend credit to someone who already owed me as much as I was willing to give them at the time.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 9
Anf_dude
Contributor

My Appologies. It's a habit, but I'll stop it.

After posting I remembered my A&F card is issued by WFFNB or something like that. My GapCard is from GE. I've Only had that 3 Months an no increase yet or anything. The rewards are great though.
Message 6 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:

Not necessarily. All but my most recent CLI on my Walmart card were received after maxing out the card and making only the minimum payment month-to-month.

Message 7 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I noticed larger increases when I made bigger payments on my Wmt card , then got the Discover upgrade after 2-3 months of having no balance. I do suspect, however, that my higher credit score at that time 670ish encouraged GE w limits/upgrade.

Btw, my ANF card has a $2,650 limit with no balance :-) started off at $250 in '06.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 9
tbolt2
Contributor

My experience with 6 GE backed cards between myself and my wife:

Assuming there are no negatives on your CR

JCPenney - PIF does not matter, usage does not matter, payments do not matter..... as long as they're on time....they're giving away CLI's like they're goin outta style Smiley Happy

Amazon - somewhat stingy, but appear to happen at 6 month intervals vs the typical 4 months most people report with GE

...and 700 or so credit score seems to help Smiley Happy

We each have a separate JCP and Amazon account

Wife has gone from 200 to 1800 on JCP in a year with auto CLI's, none of the requests were initiated by her

Wife's Amazon has only been increased once

My cards:

JCP, WalMart, Amazon - CLI may not happen at all if something bad pops up on your CR report after being approved ( see below)...even if your history with GE is spotless

Lowes - too soon to tell, just opened the account

My GE backed cards have not increased since early last year because 6 small collections appeared on my CR about 6 months after I got the cards. 3 will drop off this month, 3 in Feb.

I have not had any late payments on anything in more than 4 years, but because of the way these old collections reported, it looks like I started to crash and burn a year and a half ago.....

GE won't increase any of my existing cards, but they gave me a new 300.00 Lowe's card this month....still scratching my head on that one.....

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.