Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE credit solutions are clueless

tag
jre
Regular Contributor

GE credit solutions are clueless

I've been trying to increase my CL on my GE cards to increase my credit score. I was told by someone on these forums that calling credit solutions is the best way to get this done.

A heads up to those in similar situations the GE customer service are absolutely clueless when it comes to the mechanics of how the credit limit increase process works. They will tell you that a request for a credit limit increase requires a HARD pull when in fact it is NOT. In fact, they don't even pull a new credit report. They use OLD credit reports from months ago to make a determination. So if you had baddies taken off it won't matter. Further, I got a supervisor to admit that he had no idea how the process works and that all they do is "press a button".

Terrible experience all around.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
afr4life06
Contributor

Re: GE credit solutions are clueless

Hmmm...that would def explain why i still cant get an increase, even with my scores jumping 80 points and baddies taken off. I called and they seem to ask the same questions the online version asks. Even when i try and explain the situation, they say all they do is put it in the system and it lets them know. I am not sure if others have different experience as far as the people they talk to.

Starting Score: 525 TU 515 EX 510 EQ Oct '13
Current Score: 644 TU(Oct 14) 678 EX(Oct 2014) 684 EQ (Oct'14)
Goal Score: 700 and a Home in 1yr

Message 2 of 10
Involver
Valued Contributor

Yeah after I had a few big dings come off my reports in October I called GECRB at the end of November for a CLI on my Amazon card and they said there was nothing they could do.  They also told me they could not explain to me on the phone why they could not process a CLI.  Is this common practice?  Anyways, when I got the denial letter in the mail the credit information they were using was from September 9th.  I called them promptly again after receiving this and explained to them that the information they were using to make the decision was inaccurate and nearly three months old and they explained that they could not process a CLI unless they did a hard pull on my account.  No thanks.  Pretty disappointing experience.

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just give it about a full 60 days from when you have score and report changes for the system to refresh a new report... I just had to go through this with Capital One then call back into the backdoor numbner credit solutions and ask for manual review again.

Online and regular customer service just click the same button as you and the computer spits back answer instantly and they can't even see your credit report... only credit solutions people can look at it.

Message 4 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Just keep trying every once in a while...Persistence breaks resistance!

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 10
jre
Regular Contributor

I called the credit solutions number on the sticky. I think the customer service are the same people as the credit solutions unless you can prove otherwise?

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 6 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Calling credit solutions GECRB the 877 number seems strange getting that kind of response after seeing all the positive feedback others have posted. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jre wrote:

I've been trying to increase my CL on my GE cards to increase my credit score. I was told by someone on these forums that calling credit solutions is the best way to get this done.

A heads up to those in similar situations the GE customer service are absolutely clueless when it comes to the mechanics of how the credit limit increase process works. They will tell you that a request for a credit limit increase requires a HARD pull when in fact it is NOT. In fact, they don't even pull a new credit report. They use OLD credit reports from months ago to make a determination. So if you had baddies taken off it won't matter. Further, I got a supervisor to admit that he had no idea how the process works and that all they do is "press a button".

Contacting Credit Solutions and asking for a CLI will not wave a magic wand.  Credit reports, payment history, income etc are all part of the review process.  GE underwrites for all types of credit as well with different stores having their own credit requirements. 

Obviously, you will have the best return for your buck if your crs are clean, util is low and have adequate income.  You will run into denials if there are past issues on your CR's,  util issues and if you have not met that particulars stores UW requirements. 

GE is not alone in having CSRs that have little to know knowledge of hp vs sp nor are they alone in explaining the reasons for the denial.  

There are some creditors that have UWs with more responsibility and can manually review files, GE is not one of them. 

Message 8 of 10
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

It seems for me they pull reports quarterly so if  that one was bad you have to wait and they want you to bbe above 650 just in general.

Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@jre wrote:

Contacting Credit Solutions and asking for a CLI will not wave a magic wand.  Credit reports, payment history, income etc are all part of the review process.  GE underwrites for all types of credit as well with different stores having their own credit requirements. 

Obviously, you will have the best return for your buck if your crs are clean, util is low and have adequate income.  You will run into denials if there are past issues on your CR's,  util issues and if you have not met that particulars stores UW requirements. 

GE is not alone in having CSRs that have little to know knowledge of hp vs sp nor are they alone in explaining the reasons for the denial.  

There are some creditors that have UWs with more responsibility and can manually review files, GE is not one of them. 

+1 to this. 

My scores took a dip when I opened some new accounts 3-4 months ago, so GE hasn't been handing out the CLIs to me lately.  That's just part of the process of rebuilding.  It's a frustration, but it's a temporary one.  Due to a few factors, I expect my scores to rise this month, so I'll just try again for CLIs.

"Credit isn't a race, it's a journey," says one of the board members.   So to the OP, just work on what you need to work on to improve your scores and try again when reporting improves. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.