Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GECRB/CareCredit pay off?

tag
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

GECRB/CareCredit pay off?

I tried searching, but I'm on my way to work so I had to give up... I have heard stories and rumors about people paying off their GE cards with no interest charges before the interest hit and having GE shut them down. I'm a little worried about that happening, how common is this or is it just rumor? I paid mine down to below 20% prior to apping, but now that I'm done I'm considering just making the minimums (which I've been overpaying up until now) with some hope that a little bit of interest will hit it in order to keep me alive. I suppose I could go buy another box of contacts or something with it...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jk26978
Regular Contributor

Re: GECRB/CareCredit pay off?

I have not ever heard that, but I am not really too familiar with the CareCredit - they denied me but approved my son....we have used the account twice for his dental...the first time PIF on first statement....no problems, then about a year later we used it again (this year) and after this next pmt...will have PIF'd over 3 mos...so for what it's worth, they never seemed like it was a problem paying it off in one statement or over a couple of months.

Thanks and good luck

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not had this happen to me.  I have to admit that GE does like to nail you for interest and they seem to have a few too many errors when you are in the land of promotions.  I have 5 GE cards and not one has been shut down because I paid off the balance while it was still at 0%.

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@delayedinsanity wrote:

I tried searching, but I'm on my way to work so I had to give up... I have heard stories and rumors about people paying off their GE cards with no interest charges before the interest hit and having GE shut them down. I'm a little worried about that happening, how common is this or is it just rumor? I paid mine down to below 20% prior to apping, but now that I'm done I'm considering just making the minimums (which I've been overpaying up until now) with some hope that a little bit of interest will hit it in order to keep me alive. I suppose I could go buy another box of contacts or something with it...

This scares me... I don't know what the original charge amount was and how long you have been revolving this balance but 0% promos on store type cards accrue interest from time of purchase, If you charge $1000, then pay it down to lets say just $100 and you go over the lets again say 12 months that you had 0% into month 13 thinking 20% interest on $100 - no biggie and they will like me... no you will pay the 20% on the original charge amount for the last 12 months!!!

Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have not had this happen to me.  I have to admit that GE does like to nail you for interest and they seem to have a few too many errors when you are in the land of promotions.  I have 5 GE cards and not one has been shut down because I paid off the balance while it was still at 0%.

This is also my experience. I've had a CareCredit card for about 5 years and have had many promotional balances that I've always paid off early without any adverse action.

Message 5 of 9
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I just paid off a 12 promo balance that was to expire on 7/10/12.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. However, if  paying interest is a requirement to keep the account open, well, you know what they can do with it.

FYI, the accrued interest charges when I paid ( two months early) was $530.00. I think I would rather spend the money at the coast for a couple of days, as opposed to paying GE.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 6 of 9
Erica1
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately you wouldn't pay a little interest if you had a balance carry past the 0% timeframe. You would pay all interest on the full amount. Even if they would close the account (which I haven't heard of them doing as I know a few people who have used it), I could t think of a reason to pay all that extra interest just for them to keep it open. You would've been better off choosing the 10% flat interest or whatever that other plan is they offer in that case.
2/22/13: TU-716, EX-702, 4/24: EQ-749
2/20/14: TU-695, EQ-671
Goal: mid-700's
Message 7 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

If you have a good relationship with GE, PIF won't hurt you with them.  They are a great company as long as you don't cross them.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 9
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

This scares me... I don't know what the original charge amount was and how long you have been revolving this balance but 0% promos on store type cards accrue interest from time of purchase, If you charge $1000, then pay it down to lets say just $100 and you go over the lets again say 12 months that you had 0% into month 13 thinking 20% interest on $100 - no biggie and they will like me... no you will pay the 20% on the original charge amount for the last 12 months!!!

I'll respond in the middle because it will pretty much address the general consensus; the balance wasn't dramatic, it was just under $500, which has been paid down to $200 in the past month and a half since accruing it. I still have a long time left on the 6 month grace period... and I was thinking it seemed a little out there (closing me for paying the balance), but I heard of such things prior to my actual credit education and I recall seeing some mention of it here on a Lowe's GE card which brought it back into the realm of what if. I just wanted to get a little more feedback before I PIF this month, and I appreciate the range of responses received!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.