Regular Contributor

GECRB/CareCredit pay off?

I tried searching, but I'm on my way to work so I had to give up... I have heard stories and rumors about people paying off their GE cards with no interest charges before the interest hit and having GE shut them down. I'm a little worried about that happening, how common is this or is it just rumor? I paid mine down to below 20% prior to apping, but now that I'm done I'm considering just making the minimums (which I've been overpaying up until now) with some hope that a little bit of interest will hit it in order to keep me alive. I suppose I could go buy another box of contacts or something with it...

Regular Contributor

Re: GECRB/CareCredit pay off?

I have not ever heard that, but I am not really too familiar with the CareCredit - they denied me but approved my son....we have used the account twice for his dental...the first time PIF on first statement....no problems, then about a year later we used it again (this year) and after this next pmt...will have PIF'd over 3 mos...so for what it's worth, they never seemed like it was a problem paying it off in one statement or over a couple of months.

Thanks and good luck

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:716 (SW Alert 5-7-14) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden till at least 5/1/14
Regular Contributor

I have not had this happen to me.  I have to admit that GE does like to nail you for interest and they seem to have a few too many errors when you are in the land of promotions.  I have 5 GE cards and not one has been shut down because I paid off the balance while it was still at 0%.

Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Epic Contributor

delayedinsanity wrote:

I tried searching, but I'm on my way to work so I had to give up... I have heard stories and rumors about people paying off their GE cards with no interest charges before the interest hit and having GE shut them down. I'm a little worried about that happening, how common is this or is it just rumor? I paid mine down to below 20% prior to apping, but now that I'm done I'm considering just making the minimums (which I've been overpaying up until now) with some hope that a little bit of interest will hit it in order to keep me alive. I suppose I could go buy another box of contacts or something with it...

This scares me... I don't know what the original charge amount was and how long you have been revolving this balance but 0% promos on store type cards accrue interest from time of purchase, If you charge $1000, then pay it down to lets say just $100 and you go over the lets again say 12 months that you had 0% into month 13 thinking 20% interest on $100 - no biggie and they will like me... no you will pay the 20% on the original charge amount for the last 12 months!!!

Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

psychoinhell wrote:

I have not had this happen to me.  I have to admit that GE does like to nail you for interest and they seem to have a few too many errors when you are in the land of promotions.  I have 5 GE cards and not one has been shut down because I paid off the balance while it was still at 0%.

This is also my experience. I've had a CareCredit card for about 5 years and have had many promotional balances that I've always paid off early without any adverse action.

Established Contributor

I just paid off a 12 promo balance that was to expire on 7/10/12.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. However, if  paying interest is a requirement to keep the account open, well, you know what they can do with it.

FYI, the accrued interest charges when I paid ( two months early) was $530.00. I think I would rather spend the money at the coast for a couple of days, as opposed to paying GE.

Mine- Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / DW's- I'm AU on most- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / Citi Simplicity MC $4.4K / GE Lowes $10K / GE CareCredit $5K
myFico Scores as of 10/03/2014
Equifax 798 / Experian 811 / TransUnion 814
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately you wouldn't pay a little interest if you had a balance carry past the 0% timeframe. You would pay all interest on the full amount. Even if they would close the account (which I haven't heard of them doing as I know a few people who have used it), I could t think of a reason to pay all that extra interest just for them to keep it open. You would've been better off choosing the 10% flat interest or whatever that other plan is they offer in that case.
2/22/13: TU-716, EX-702, 4/24: EQ-749
2/20/14: TU-695, EQ-671
Goal: mid-700's
Super Contributor

If you have a good relationship with GE, PIF won't hurt you with them.  They are a great company as long as you don't cross them.

11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Regular Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

This scares me... I don't know what the original charge amount was and how long you have been revolving this balance but 0% promos on store type cards accrue interest from time of purchase, If you charge $1000, then pay it down to lets say just $100 and you go over the lets again say 12 months that you had 0% into month 13 thinking 20% interest on $100 - no biggie and they will like me... no you will pay the 20% on the original charge amount for the last 12 months!!!

I'll respond in the middle because it will pretty much address the general consensus; the balance wasn't dramatic, it was just under $500, which has been paid down to $200 in the past month and a half since accruing it. I still have a long time left on the 6 month grace period... and I was thinking it seemed a little out there (closing me for paying the balance), but I heard of such things prior to my actual credit education and I recall seeing some mention of it here on a Lowe's GE card which brought it back into the realm of what if. I just wanted to get a little more feedback before I PIF this month, and I appreciate the range of responses received!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.