Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GECRB/ShopNBC closed to non-usage

tag
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

GECRB/ShopNBC closed to non-usage

So it will be reporting as "closed by credit grantor."

I was going to close the thing "at consumer's request" a while ago when I saw they had cut the CL to the $124 inactive limit. (Anytime a GECRB CL ends in "$24," it indicates the card isn't being used enough for them.) But I clicked the CLI button and they bumped it back to $500. I looked for something to buy, but couldn't find a single thing I could justify purchasing.

Anyway, I have decided it is time to close some more accts. I had been weeding out store cards: PayPal Smart Connect, Wal-Mart, Meijer, and QVC.

I still have 12 CCs, 6 of which are store cards, which I think is too many.

I think Amazon Store Card, Kohl's, and HSN will be next.

I will keep Neiman Marcus and jcpenney b/c they have high CLs.

Also, Neiman Marcus didn't close my acct. during my BK, so it is my oldest reporting CL.

And I am only keeping Fingerhut b/c it was my first post BK acct.

This whole CC/fico score game is getting tiresome, and my BK won't drop of until friggin 2014 (if I live that long.....lol) so I won't get any reasonable interest rates on any new accts. until after that anyway.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GECRB/ShopNBC closed to non-usage

Your experience brings up an interesting question.  Does it really have any negative impact on your credit if it says closed by grantor?  As long as there are no derogs on the history of that card, I would think it should not matter.

Only 2 years to go before your history becomes much more attractive, it is not that much longer at all Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

how often id you use the card and when was the last time you used it?  Im thining about closing a few store cards also insted of just waiting for them to close for being inactive.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

I can't rememeber the last time I used that ShopNBC card.

I only opened it b/c i was on an app spree at the time.

NO MORE APP SPREES EVER!!!, I ended up with CCs I didn't want or need.

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 4 of 10
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

This whole CC/fico score game is getting tiresome, and my BK won't drop of until friggin 2014 (if I live that long.....lol) so I won't get any reasonable interest rates on any new accts. until after that anyway.

red: That bothers you? There's people who are looking down the receiving end of the next ten years... even people half way through are still waiting for 2017. 2014 is in two years, you've already done the hardest part. If the game is getting tiring, stop playing it for a bit and operate under cash, most lenders won't shut you down for a measly couple of months inactivity and there's always something for $10 or less at even the most prestigious of stores.

blue: If you're referring to the 'end of the world' at the end of this year... I hardly think our credit reports will be on anybodies mind. I'm actually rooting for a zombie apocalypse myself. I've got an overstock of zombie sized 40sw rounds just in case. C'mooonnnnnn zombies.

Message 5 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

I just checked, I haven't used the HSN card since 2008.

I guess they don't care if you use it or not.

I am still going to close it.

Update: DONE.

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 6 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Update #2:

GECRB/Amazon Store Card DONE. CLOSED.

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 7 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Update #3:

Kohl's DONE. CLOSED.

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 8 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Total Closing Spree, incl. involuntary ShopNBC closing:

$5200 less rope to hang myself with.

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Your experience brings up an interesting question.  Does it really have any negative impact on your credit if it says closed by grantor?  As long as there are no derogs on the history of that card, I would think it should not matter.

Only 2 years to go before your history becomes much more attractive, it is not that much longer at all Smiley Happy

It makes no difference whether the account is closed by the consumer or the issuer.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.