Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB Amazon high util... CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB Amazon high util... CLI?

Just opened an Amazon store card with an $800 limit (6 mo financing, $680 in cart) last week. All 3 reports updated with the new card and inquiry within a few days - insane!

The bad news... it's posting that Amazon purchase as my high limit. Smiley Sad As a result, it's showing that the card is close to 80% util.

I was able to post a payment today when I got the card ($680 down to $530), but there's no way I could PIF or get it down to a low util by the end of the month.

After reading this amazing post, I was thinking... Should I call and ask for a CLI?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GEMB Amazon high util... CLI

call them and tell them ask to speak with a supervisor, dont tell them the reason, then tell the supervisor you were talking with an underwriter about a concern on your credit limit, ask to be conected. once you are conected with an underwriter give them a modest CL that you would like and they will try and approve you.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would $400 be too much? (raising from $800 to $1200). 

What would be a realistic CLI to ask for instead?

I have a few baddies (paid) that I worry about though... but I plan on using this a decent amount since I have a Prime membership.

Can't (and won't) when the util. is so high... Smiley Sad 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

what ever you feel comfortable with

Message 4 of 11
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would $400 be too much? (raising from $800 to $1200). 

What would be a realistic CLI to ask for instead?

I have a few baddies (paid) that I worry about though... but I plan on using this a decent amount since I have a Prime membership.

Can't (and won't) when the util. is so high... Smiley Sad 

Its worth a shot.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Just tried calling and was declined. Smiley Sad

Getting a letter in 7-10 business days as to why... oh well.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GEMB Amazon high util... CLI?

On some reports, my revolving accounts report both a "high limit" and a "credit limit".  On other versions, it lists the CL as the "largest past balance" even though I have never come remotely close to the CL.

Is your Amazon showing both a "high limit" and a "credit limit"? 

And, if I can ask, where are you pulling the report that is showing this?  Some third party reports have only partial information, so that will be helpful to know.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi beamMEup,

All three reporting agencies reflect both High Limit (current financing offer of 680) and CL (800).

I pulled EX from FreeCreditReport.com, EQ from myFico Score Watch and TU via TrueCredit. My EX and EQ FICO/PLUS scores both plummeted the day the Amazon account posted. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, yes, I see.  On second reading I understand your post better - originally I thought you were concerned that your High Limit was being used as your CL for utilization calculations.  My bad - must have been lack of sun.  Time for me to go out and do some tanning!!!

Message 9 of 11
slarano
Frequent Contributor

You just opened, so I don't think you should ask for a CLI. After paying down you balance to $0, try at that point. You'll have some history behind your account, and they'll probably want to entice you with a larger CL to take advantage of more financing offers or even more expensive products on the site. I too started with around an $800 limit a few years ago, and am currently at $2700. I've made a few big purchases with financing (plasma TV, Macbook Pro) and my CL was automatically increased each time by Amazon without having to ask for an increase. Ironically, the one time I did ask for an increase (right before I bought my MBP, because I needed a little more of a limit to buy the higher model that I wanted), they denied the increase despite being at $0 balance at the time. Every time they have initiated a CL increase on their behalf, I was actually carrying a fairly large balance. Go figure!

ImageImageImage

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.