cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB CLI's and utilization question...(Long and confusing...)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GEMB CLI's and utilization question...(Long and confusing...)

Sorry to hear about your no love from GECRB. I believe they do CLI after 4 months. Started at $400 and up to $800 within 4 months of opening my JCP account. Also had an Old Navy one started at $400 back in March 2011, raised to $800 in August 2011, and then upgraded to Old Navy Visa with $2,000 limit in April 2012. My belk store card by GE also jumped from $150 to $650 after about 5 months. GE has been good to me, but I wonder if they are picky. Also have the Amazon and Wal-mart from GE just opened in December 2011, and waiting to see if auto CLI are in play soon. And I don't believe utilization comes into play at all. I have a Shell card by Citibank, with about 85% utilization and they still increased CLI from $500 to $700. Not sure what they are basing it on, but I'll take CLI where ever. Of course, my overall CL is $8750 on all cards with 30% uti.

Message 21 of 24
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course, my overall CL is $8750 on all cards with 30% uti.

...and my overall CL is $30,850 with 63.8% util.

No baddies on any of my CR's....util is the only thing I can think of...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

tcbofade,

I am not sure what to tell you.  I have been between the two extremes that have been mentioned in this thread when I got love from GE.  My biggest increases in CL from GE cards have come during constant and light usage, with about 90% PIF.  My fico util probably has not gotten over 30% since I started monitoring and got my GE cards.  GE has not shown me any love when I have not used the cards.  They only show me a little love when the card in question has a high balance.

Examples...  High first:  Amazon store card has given me decent increases, but last year I charged an entire home theater system on the card and this year I got my smallest increase to date, util on that card about 80% (all 0%, where the devil lives Smiley Wink  )  Similar situation with Walmart store card, I got my smallest increase when I was over 50% on my CL, even though that was all also 0%. 

mid...  When I brought my Walmart card down closer to the 25% range I called because there was an error on my card.  They corrected the error and offered me an upgrade to Walmart Discover, almost increasing my CL 300%.  Funny sidenote, after my store card was closed, I got a notice that my CL on it was increased.

No balance...  I contacted JCP for an increase when I thought it was about time (I was gardening) and I was rejected due to lack of payment history.  I had not used the card in almost a year.

If you want my .02, I would suggest you bring your overall util down to 30% then hit up the GE cards for increases.  You should have enough payment history that the internals will look good to them and with a higher fico the externals will match.  I would not be surprised to see your CLs with GE jump 100 or 200%.  You will have shown them that you can dig yourself out of debt and they will want to give you the chance to get back into debt.

Message 23 of 24
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

tcbofade,

If you want my .02, I would suggest you bring your overall util down to 30% then hit up the GE cards for increases...

Thank you for your thoughts and input.

It wasn't until I found myfico that I discovered just how much high utilization was hurting me...I knew it was a negative thing, but didn't realize the impact that it has on my credit score...

I'm werkin' on it...but "under 30%" is at LEAST a year away... 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.