Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB/ Ikea BEWARE!

tag
redhed1026
New Contributor

GEMB/ Ikea BEWARE!

I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

I got a notice today that my GEMB issued IKEA card will begin assessing a $1.99 "monthly maintenance fee" on their accounts. Of course, the letter enclosed basically blamed the Credit CARD act for the changes. So, I called right up and cancelled my card. No need to pay for IKEA credit, especially when their interest rate is exhorbitant at 25.99%. I wonder if GEMB plans to do this for other store branded cards they issue? I'm going to be looking carefully now!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: GEMB/ Ikea BEWARE!

i'll keep an eye out!  thank you!

Message 2 of 6
poet
Regular Contributor

Sucks... I did just request a CLI online and was approved for $100 increase for a total of $600. I've got no special need for more IKEA furniture, but I'll keep it hanging around for the total available credit. Worth 1.99/mo to me at this stage... and I could use a new dresser once some other priorities dealt with.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

That's an absolutely ridiculous charge for a store card, especially if it comes with a low credit limit. If I had one, I'd call immediately and get rid of that card.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

poet wrote:and I could use a new dresser once some other priorities dealt with.

Just remember that interest rate - this is definitely a PIF card.  Love IKEA but there's nothing at that store worth going into debt for!  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure other GE accounts will follow if so they will be closed.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.