Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB - Low Limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB - Low Limits?

I've just recently gone on my first app spree since joining this site. Had a bk 9/04 and have been fighting my way back to the 700 club ever since. Refi'd my mortgage last year after 9.95% 2/28 ARM - now 6.5% with Wells and have two auto loans: 1). BMW financial lease; 2) Lexus (Toyota) Credit 10.5%. However, when it comes to CC's, I can't really seem to get much credit or good limits - especially GE Money Bank!

After going through the app spree, here is what I received:

New Cards applied for 2/08:

Hooters - $1500 cl
HSBC Discover - $400 cl
Lowe's GEMB - $300 cl
Target - $200 cl
Ikea - $300 cl
Walmart - $250cl
Best Buy MC - Not sure yet... but I'm sure it will suck - >$500

Cards from 2005-2007:

Juniper MC - $2200 cl
HSBC Plat Visa - $1100 cl
HSBC Plat MC - $1000 cl
HSBC Plat MC - $1200 cl
Direct Merchants HSBC MC - $1100 cl
Merrick Bank Visa - $1600 cl

All of these card have a less than 50% balance and all but the Merrick barely has any balance at all. What do I need to do to get back above 700? All my baddies / CO's  were iib,  thus gone from my reports. I don't have anything bad except for these recent inquiries and my goal is to get a couple of good limit prime cards $5k & up limits and be gone with the builder accounts. I just don't know how to get there and am getting impatient!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GEMB - Low Limits?

GEMB is infamous for low llimits.... just called for a CLI on my Dillards and had to give up my first born....lol!!
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what's happening but I got Dillards AMEX and Discover in the same week... Revolution Card, too.
Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Hi FairCreditGuy, I was wondering what the CL is on your GEMB Discover.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

For what its worth...I've had a GEMB Lowe's card, cl of 1100.00 since May 07.  Made purchase, paid it off within 3 months (no interest Smiley Wink) and let it sit.  Last week, I received notice that they were *upgrading* it to a regular VISA card with a ......(drumroll) 4000.00 CL!!

When I log into my account, it shows all 3 cards with the different limits.  I also have a project card. 

What is truly strange, when asked for a cli on my Walmart card, I got a measly 50 bucks added to my whopping 500 cl!

With my CareCredit, I originally only had a 500 cl when I requested a cli without a hard pull.  Once they learned I was having major dental work done, they did do a hard pull, no cli on my original account but they gave me another one for 5k! 

For the life of me, I just don't get it! 
I'm not complaining though as my scores were very low 600's, possibly dipping down below 600!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe all crditors are tightening up - there have been big increrases in defaults (both CC and mortgage).  They are getting stingy and cautious now.

Use it - pay it -  and keep the history clean ---things will change around in about 5 years.
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

DD#1 has had a GAP card for a couple of years. She has disgustingly perfect credit history, although she's only 22. Several months ago, they mailed her an offer for a $K GAP Visa, which she declined. But her GAP store card hasn't changed.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a GEMB/SAMS card I thought the limit was fairly decent since we can only use the card at sams/walmart, $10,000.  I guess everyone has different success with different cards.  Good Luck all Vicki
Message 8 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

FaircreditguyFL wrote:
I'm not sure what's happening but I got Dillards AMEX and Discover in the same week... Revolution Card, too.

Wow. You got Revolution Card? You are the only one I have found who is approved for this card. How do you like the card? Did you find any places where this card is accepted?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.