cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB/Sam's Club Discover Credit Limit from 6250 to 200!!!!!

tag
jcx808
New Contributor

GEMB/Sam's Club Discover Credit Limit from 6250 to 200!!!!!

I just paid off my balance of 4975.78 on October 5th... I check my account online on October 14th, notice that the credit limit was decreased to 200!!!!  I called and asked why they did that, I got an answer saying they mailed me a letter on the 9th.  I have yet to receive my mail as of today.  What are they thinking?  I have been a good customer with them since 2005, never paid late.  I can't believe they would do this.  Is there anyway of getting my credit limit back or at least getting a refund of my money and pay it off slowly.  I feel cheated... The only reason I paid that account in full was because I wanted to lower my debt ulitilzation.  If I knew I was gonna get cheated, I would have paid off another credit card instead.  Can anyone help me?

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Re: GEMB/Sam's Club Discover Credit Limit from 6250 to 200!!!!!

The same thing happened to me with my Sams Club credit card.  As soon as I paid it off, they lowered my credit limit all the way down to 100.00.  GEMB also lowered my Paypal down to 960.00 from 1600.00.  I never missed a payment, always paid more than 3 times the minimum payment due.  I called customer service for both cards and expressed my opinion of this.  They would not budge.  If you get any success, please let me know how you went about doing it.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

That's a big decrease!   How long did it take for you to pay the $4975.78 balance down to $0.   GEMB more than likely was happy to get all of its money back, and decided to cut your CL in fear you may run it back up.  Did GEMB do any soft pulls on you each month?  GEMB must have saw things in your credit reports it didn't like.  Sorry for the decrease. 
Message 3 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Sam's Club CC/LOC was closed by the credit people at Sam's.  (It was attached to my membership.  The information showed up for the cashier when I checked out.  I don't remember having a separate cc, but I may have had one.)  When I called them about it, they would not discuss it with me.  I had a 5k limit, no debt on it, and paid it in full each time.  They said the account was closed, end of story.  I never received a letter either.

I told them to cancel my membership too and send a refund.  I had JUST paid my renewal fees using the said card (they auto billed membership to the card).  They argued, whined, begged me not to cancel my membership.  I asked them what the point of having membership if I don't have the cc to go with?

That was like two years ago.  I did receive my full refund.  No idea what was up with their actions or their attitude.  I had "perfect" credit at the time - no baddies.  Oh.  My mortgage.  Maybe that triggered it.  But hello?  It was recorded on the CR that I paid way more than what was due.  I had a few creditors go squirrelly on me for getting a mortgage.  I didn't have a car payment.  Student loans (small amounts) in deferment, but being paid anyways.  My overall other debt was 200k less than my available credit at the time.  My credit report clearly showed positives.

Anyways, who knows why banks are doing things.  They want to reduce risk, make money.

BofA said they are going to start implementing CC annual fees ranging from $29-99 a year, to include targeting consumers who do not carry a balance over, pay no interest, and are great customers.  (this was reported in the newspaper)  OUCH. 

Message 4 of 15
jcx808
New Contributor

I paid it full this month.  I went on vacation 2 months ago and used this card to buy airplane tickets and what not.  I don't know if they were doing soft pulls or not, but I also paid off 2400 on another GEMB/Sams Club card as well, the instore card.  I hope they don't decrease the credit limit on that one too.  This is bull**bleep**!!!!  Has anyone had any luck?

Message 5 of 15
jcx808
New Contributor

After trying unsuccessfully with repeated calls for 3 hours....  I was told I can write a letter to consumer affairs and the risk department.  I plan on writing a letter to both, I was given the name of the president for GEMoney Bank, Mark Gebor.  If anyone wants to join in and write them letters as well feel free to do so.  Here are the addresses:

Risk Department

P.O. Box 981064

El Paso, Tx 79998 fax number: 1-866-433-6076

Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 981726

El Paso, Tx 79998

(edited to remove name - posting of personal information, your own or someone else's, is not allowed in the Forums)

Join the fight!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by Scamp on 10-16-2009 06:16 AM

Message 6 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

@jcx808 wrote:

After trying unsuccessfully with repeated calls for 3 hours....  I was told I can write a letter to consumer affairs and the risk department.  I plan on writing a letter to both, I was given the name of the president for GEMoney Bank, Mark Gebor.  If anyone wants to join in and write them letters as well feel free to do so.  Here are the addresses:

Risk Department

P.O. Box 981064

El Paso, Tx 79998 fax number: 1-866-433-6076

Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 981726

El Paso, Tx 79998

(edited to remove name - posting personal information such as full names is not not allowed in the Forums)

Join the fight!!!!!!!!!

I think you have already exhausted all your options.  That has/is happening to many cardholders.   Apply for a new card.   But any way, if wish to continue your fight, PM me, and I will send you (name removed) email.  He won't reply directly, but you will here from an executive via mail within a week.  

Message Edited by Scamp on 10-16-2009 06:18 AM
Message 7 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

Slightly OT but last year I noticed that GEMB was doing an AR on both my GEMB accounts at least once a month.  They stopped doing that back in May and I dont know if they started again since I dont use EQ's scorewatch anymore.

IMHO they were looking at my CR for activity on other accounts as a possible precursor to AA.  I did get a CLI on the Sams card (I didnt ask and never would) and nothing on the Chevron card.

What was your activity on other accounts? also did you have any new accounts?

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 15
guydiver
Established Contributor

Uh-oh.  I better keep an eye on my accounts.  I have a Sam's Club store card that I just paid to zero $ balance.  I had a no interest electronic purchase, but paid it off very early.  I have had a zero balance most of the time, I usually PIF before the due date.  They give me 6 mo. CLI's like clockwork though.  Started at $400, now at 2100, and my six months is up in two weeks.  I tried for a CLI on-line, but got the decline, and the letter stating "not enough experience at this credit level" a few days later.  Done that before, just gave it a shot in the dark.  As for my Sam's Club Discover card, I never get it paid to zero  because I always have automatic charges on it, and I use it for just about everything.  I stay at the 2% cash back level most of the year, so it does pay me to use it frequently until I can get something better like a Discover More(next year if I can get all my Fico's above 700).  What I am now concerned about is GEMB might be doing CLD's arbitrarily.  Guess I'll have to check that  balance often, and see what happens in a couple of weeks when my CLI's come due.  Maybe others will chime in on their recent experiences with Sam's Club and GEMB.  I do know that I got a CLI to 10K on my Lowe's card when I hit the LUV button a month ago.  I quickly went and made a purchase to report activity this month, got a sweet 6 mo. no interest on a kickin BBQ grill I've been eyeballing.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see. 
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What good is a card you can't even fit a weeks worth of groceries on.....what could they possibly be thinking? The only response they could be looking for is for you to close your account. Why would they not just close it and eliminate any of the overhead associated with keeping it on their books?
Message Edited by idmd on 10-17-2009 07:06 PM
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.