Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB gave us acct anyway...WTF!!!

tag
Eric958
Established Contributor

GEMB gave us acct anyway...WTF!!!

DW and I applied with Empire for $7200 worth of Floor treatments.{Rugs/ tile}for our new house. GEMB who finances their customers only approved us for $2000 so we didn't do it. Lo and behold I get a new acct alert today. GEMB Empire $2000 limit $0 Balance!!!It is helping my util but I don't want it. Do you think they will allow me to convert to one of their other cards? or should I just close it before they do for non use?

E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Eric958
Established Contributor

Re: GEMB gave us acct anyway...WTF!!!

Anyone?

Never Give Up!!
Message 2 of 6
Cooneyca
Regular Contributor

My only experience with GEMB is a JCPenney card I haven't used in 5 years so can't answer the question about whether they'll let you convert, but as far as closing the line you received, you already took the inquiry hit so unless you have to pay fees to keep it, I would definitely not close it.  If you have or are planning to have any CC balances carry from month to month, the extra CL will help with your util.

It takes a while - in my experience - for cards to go inactive for non-use. In fact, my JCPenney card showed open/inactive but went open "pays as agreed" recently when I submitted a late dispute.  Not only were they kind enough to remove the baddie without much hassle, they reactivated the account. Not costing me a thing!

Carol

Jan 07: tu 498, ex 501, eq 504
Oct 07: tu 716, ex 712, eq 723
Nov 07: tu 693, ex 664, eq 672_post app frenzy
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think they will close it. I was in the same situation 4 years ago and they still have not closed the account. I have NEVER used that card.
I tried to convert to one of their major cards (recently) and was told, "go to our web to apply for one there," maybe its because I never used the card.
They did not allow me to combine (or upgrade) which is what I was trying to do.
Let me know how it turns out.
Message 4 of 6
Eric958
Established Contributor

Thanks Guys.
E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 5 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If it is not costing any money keep the card and let it age. After 6-12 months it will start helping your FICO score go up.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.