Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB hates me

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

GEMB hates me

I don't understand it.  I can't get approved for any CC that is backed by GEMB.  I've only ever had one CC with them & it was almost 20 years ago & not even sure if GEMB was the one backing JCPenney at that time or not.  But I had perfect payment history.  Never late.  Almost always PIF.  I eventually closed the card as I really didn't have a use for it. 

Okay so now fast forward to the present where I've had some issues with my credit but have been working on them.  I've got 2 new TL reporting which has helped my utilization as well as giving me revolving credit which I didn't have on my CR.  I checked my FICO score & I'm in the mid 600s & I still can't get a stupid CC backed by GEMB.   I've been shot down by them twice for Care Credit, Lowe's, PayPal & Target.  (probably some others I don't know that they back)

I even tried for Target as I've seen several with lower scores approved for at least the $200 limit & I got the 7-10 message which means I'll get a letter in 7-10 days saying I'm not approved.  I had applied with them a couple years ago & at that time was denied due to public records & collections on my EQ report & those are all gone now.  So frustrating. 

Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:41 AM
Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:44 AM
Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:47 AM
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jdsays
Contributor

Re: GEMB hates me

They dont like me either.  I read about many people being approved for a Wal-Mart card with low scores in the 600s...so I applied and was denied.  And they pulled Transunion which was the best of my scores (around 640)and still was denied.  Oh well...

Starting Score: EQ: 590 TU: 599
Current Score: EQ: 642 TU: 683
Goal Score: 720 by 12/31/10

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

The 2 that I applied for most recently were Lowe's & Target which I understand they pull EQ for which is my best report. 

Message 3 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Target is not GEMB  card.

While I understand your frustration, the truth is that GEMB sux. I have 3 accounts with them and all three are on chopping block, gonna be closed in 11/09.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

Oops sorry you are right about Target.  I just don't get the denials from GEMB though.  Good thing my CU likes me!

Message 5 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

G-d bless Credit Unions.

I applied to Target about 2.5 years ago, 6 months after coming over to the States, of course got denied. I enjoy using my Macy's Visa in Target and decline cashiers' offer to apply to Target card.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 16
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

GEMB hate my wife too! She has applied for JC Penny and Old Navy, denied. Her scores are all around 650 to 660. She tried twice each last year and no go.

On the other hand GE likes me. I had scores in the low to mid 600's and they approved me for Chevron $650, Old Navy $450, WalMart $650, Bass Pro $500.

These were all last year. I have recieved CLI's with all but Bass Pro. I don't get it, my scores were all lower than my wifes. I don't understand what GE is looking for but they like me for some reason.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 7 of 16
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I don't understand it.  I can't get approved for any CC that is backed by GEMB.  I've only ever had one CC with them & it was almost 20 years ago & not even sure if GEMB was the one backing JCPenney at that time or not.  But I had perfect payment history.  Never late.  Almost always PIF.  I eventually closed the card as I really didn't have a use for it. 

Okay so now fast forward to the present where I've had some issues with my credit but have been working on them.  I've got 2 new TL reporting which has helped my utilization as well as giving me revolving credit which I didn't have on my CR.  I checked my FICO score & I'm in the mid 600s & I still can't get a stupid CC backed by GEMB.   I've been shot down by them twice for Care Credit, Lowe's, PayPal & Target.  (probably some others I don't know that they back)

I even tried for Target as I've seen several with lower scores approved for at least the $200 limit & I got the 7-10 message which means I'll get a letter in 7-10 days saying I'm not approved.  I had applied with them a couple years ago & at that time was denied due to public records & collections on my EQ report & those are all gone now.  So frustrating. 

Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:41 AM
Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:44 AM
Message Edited by mt2va on 05-31-2009 08:47 AM

If by any chance you are getting the 7-10 business day notice from GEMB, I would call them.  Now, they ARE cutting CLs at the moment... (hoping I will be spared this time around), so it might be hard at this particular moment.  And I do not know if this is the case with you, but for all of the GEMB accounts for which I got that message, there was an identity verification problem.  Good Luck!

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

If by any chance you are getting the 7-10 business day notice from GEMB, I would call them.  Now, they ARE cutting CLs at the moment... (hoping I will be spared this time around), so it might be hard at this particular moment.  And I do not know if this is the case with you, but for all of the GEMB accounts for which I got that message, there was an identity verification problem.  Good Luck!

I suppose its possible but I got the same 7-10 day message the previous times when I was denied.  And I've never had a problem with identity verification with anyone else.  I guess I'll just stick with my 2 CU cards for now & get what I can cleaned up to re-fi my car loan. 

Message 9 of 16
y22kc
Established Member

For some odd reason, GEMB likes me on the store cards.  I got a preapproved letter in Nov of last year for a penneys card.  Got a $300 limit.  Was approved for $150 American Eagle, $300 Dillards, and $650 Wal-Mart in January 09.  Got a CLI on Penneys to $1,500 4 months later, and I had only used the card once.  CLI on Dillards to $400, no dice on AE or WalMart though.  Applied for the ebay MC last week, but was offered the paypal buyer's credit for $400 instead.  I have a paypal debit card, so I selected the backing source on it to be the paypal buyer's credit, so it works like a mastercard now.  When I was preapproved for the penneys card, my scores were in the low 600s.  691 at this time on TU according to myfico scores.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.