Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB is giving out NEW cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB is giving out NEW cards

I was filling my car up at the Chevron station the other day and saw that little plastic box filled with applications for the Chevron Visa card issued through GEMB.

I figured what the heck, took one, went home and filled it out online.

The infamous "you will be notified in 7 to 10 days" came up.

Two days later I get a call from them asking me to answer some questions.  Like what city did I grow up in, what county was my house in from 22 years ago etc..   Hmmm, they went back like 26 years. Anyway, after answering the questions she tells me my account is approved with a $7200 credit line.

I know it is not a large credit line but it is nice to see that banks are still opening some kind of accounts in this horrible economy.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: GEMB is giving out NEW cards

WHAT!!!!  That is a dang fine credit line.  Merry Christmas to You!!!!!!!
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is an OK credit line but much lower then my other cards.  It was just nice to see that new accounts are still being opened after what you hear on the news everyday.

They pulled just one credit report "TU" which is my highest score.

Message 3 of 14
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your new card and you decent CL!!!

I have sockdrawered my 18 month old Chevron card because:

1. Penfed Cash Rewards Visa makes buying gas at Chevron stations with a Chevron card not cost-effective.
  2. GEMB refuses to convert my Chevron card to a Chevron Visa

GEMB insists that I make a NEW application and I would receive a NEW card which would lower my average age because of getting dinged with a new account. I am done with new applications for the forseeable future or no sooner than sometime in 2010.

Again congrats.

Message 4 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

congrats!  a 7.2k cl on a GEMB product esp. a gas card is an enormous starting cl even somewhat unhead of actually (at least from GEMB) in today's climate (regardless of your other cls or even because of them.  read:  exposure).

a recent post this week indicated  high 700's, clean reports, 9% util and lengthy history, only 2 or 3 revolving accounts:  GEMB care credit card app. denied.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by a friend of mine who is a senior credit analyst at GEMB that they take into account your line of work and how recession proof your job is.

If you have a credit score of 800 but your job may not be considered recession proof you may still be declined.

Since my scores are good , not great they may be taking into account my source of income which will always be there regardless of any recession and or depression.

Message 6 of 14
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told by a friend of mine who is a senior credit analyst at GEMB that they take into account your line of work and how recession proof your job is.

Maybe your senior analyst friend could get my Chevron card converted to the Chevron Visa.

ROFLOL

Message 7 of 14
heirophant
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is an OK credit line but much lower then my other cards.  It was just nice to see that new accounts are still being opened after what you hear on the news everyday.

They pulled just one credit report "TU" which is my highest score.

Dude, seriously, some of us would kill for a 5K credit line and think we are awesome.  After rebuilding for the past 2 years, my highest line is still my Hooters card at $3,300 with Wamu at $2,500 in a close second.  Of course MD's probably always get higher credit lines because of higher income.  I am extremely jelous.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heirophant wrote:

Dude, seriously, some of us would kill for a 5K credit line and think we are awesome. 

I agree, some of us would, In know I would, but whatever you do, don't post that in the "New Laws" folder, I got railed on by haters for saying that exact same thing. 
Message 9 of 14
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

CCC's are giving out new CC's every day. I am certain I could get a gas card if I wanted one. The questions are: 1) Do I really want one? Answer: NO! I have a PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa which is a better deal. 2) Do I really need to take in INQ hit for this type of credit app? Answer: NO! 3) Do I need to face the problem of my other issuers reviewing my credit file and seeing a brand spanking new gas card sitting out there (in your case with a very high CL) and use it against me as an excuse for AA? Answer: Absolutely NOT!

Message Edited by fused on 12-19-2008 11:13 AM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.