cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GF wants a BT card what card to apply for?

tag
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

GF wants a BT card what card to apply for?

she has 720-750's across the board. 

Wellsfargo visa for 10 years, barclays apple card, citibank doublecash, some random airline, nordstrom and think banana republic. oh and bestbuy 

Whats the largest limit card + good balance transfer apr she should apply for to consolodate about 5-10 grand on ?

appreciate the advice/help

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: GF wants a BT card what card to apply for?

her scores are good, cards are not very new right? or at least less than 5 new cards in 2 years? Although she doesnt have a relationship with Chase it sounds like to me, which could yield a not as agreat limit but still with those scores Id think at least 10k limit maybe depending on income. slate 15 months no apr, no b/t fee if done in 60 days. 

Citi also has some good b/t cards but they inmho are harder to get limits out of but I could be wrong on that. If you go to the citi site, some of there cards or at least one of them offers a 21 month no interest balance transfer. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ten grand... Well you'll want to avoid the 300 in BT fees. I'd say chase slate (only if she's opened less than 5 new credit cards in the last 2 years) along with freedom or AARP just to get more bang for your buck. How long does she need to pay this off? Getting something like the Penfed promise would give a long-term low apr from day one, no cash advance or bt fees... And would be useful for future debt shuffles. That way if you are getting bt offers on a card with a balance that's being charged interest you can shuffle the debt to the promise and then back to the original card for less.

Of course if it's short term you'd leave it on the promise. Barclay ring would be similar.

I'm not sure how long the Bank of America Better Balance Rewards intro offer is but you'd easily earn 100-120 a year in rewards... Plus BOA is notorious for future bt offers.

Message 3 of 7
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

her scores are good, cards are not very new right? or at least less than 5 new cards in 2 years? Although she doesnt have a relationship with Chase it sounds like to me, which could yield a not as agreat limit but still with those scores Id think at least 10k limit maybe depending on income. slate 15 months no apr, no b/t fee if done in 60 days. 

Citi also has some good b/t cards but they inmho are harder to get limits out of but I could be wrong on that. If you go to the citi site, some of there cards or at least one of them offers a 21 month no interest balance transfer. 

i think 3 or 4 of her cards are from the last 2 years. banana and best buy closed due to non-usage and she opened new ones i think theyre considered new lines, at least she got HP's for them lol.

No chase cards. will look inito it  only need maybe 12 months i dont think she'd want longer ..

do chase or citi have pre-qualified checkers?

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 4 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

The Citi prequalification tool is solid, if she gets a single APR after the promo period, that's a good sign.

Consider Bank of America also.

You can try Capital One, the Quicksilver has a BT offer I think for new cards. Their prequalification tool is also fairly solid, look for a single APR after the promo APR.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slate if she can get a high SL. If not, I love my Citibank Simplicity. Please update the thread and let us know which card your girlfriend decided to apply for. Thanks in advance!
Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@SLO805 wrote:

Whats the largest limit card + good balance transfer apr she should apply for to consolodate about 5-10 grand on ? 

Don't count on the card and creditor alone for limit and APR.  They're just one consideration.  She will get whatever her credit profile and income qualify for.  Definitely consider BT fees as well as revolving utilization on the new BT card and how quickly the utilization can be reduced.  Also keep in mind that it's never just about score.  What's her existing total and individual utilization like if she's looking to BT?  High utilization can impact the limit and APR that she would stand to qualify for -- the catch 22 with BT cards.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.