Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GF wants to add me as AU on her BCE - Questions

tag
muumike
Regular Contributor

GF wants to add me as AU on her BCE - Questions

Hey Guys,

My girlfriend wanted to joint app for a BCE, but I insisted not yet because were not married.

She apply regardless and was approved - her EX came back as 792 (I know).

Now she wants to add me as an AU just so we can track the bill under one roof, which I understand, but I have a couple questions:

I am an existing customer with Amex (Zync NPSL) and have been since August with good history. Currently im about 680 EQ because of my high util (70%) on Discover that I am paying down). I also have an old collection (3+ years) that I am disputing right now in order to correctly resolve it.

Will I get declined as an AU for any reason with them or will my GF see anything negative about me if she adds me as an AU? Is there anything I should know about this process before agreeing to it?

To make it not sound as sketchy, she knows about the past collection and aware that I am handling the debts accordingly.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: GF wants to add me as AU on her BCE - Questions

@muumike wrote:

Hey Guys,

My girlfriend wanted to joint app for a BCE, but I insisted not yet because were not married.

Now she wants to add me as an AU just so we can track the bill under one roof, which I understand, but I have a couple questions:

I am an existing customer with Amex (Zync NPSL) and have been since August with good history. Currently im about 680 EQ because of my high util (70%) on Discover that I am paying down). I also have an old collection (3+ years) that I am disputing right now in order to correctly resolve it.

Will I get declined as an AU for any reason with them or will my GF see anything negative about me if she adds me as an AU? Is there anything I should know about this process before agreeing to it?

To make it not sound as sketchy, she knows about the past collection and aware that I am handling the debts accordingly.

No there should be no reason for them to deny you as an AU unless you have a really bad history with them,

And no there will be no negative affect on her unless you run up a huge bill and she can't afford to pay it.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 13
muumike
Regular Contributor

I would assume its only beneficial to me, correct? We will only be using the card for groceries.

Does she need my SSN? and with that would she get feedback from them on any credit history, or is it simply just to have it appear on my credit reports?

Message 3 of 13
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Never heard of someone getting denied being an AU. so don't worry about it. the AU can only hurt you really. if she or the both of you combined run up the balance of the BCE, then it will hurt both yuor UTIL and her UTIL.

Other than that, being added as an AU will add another positive reporting trade line to your reports.

Keep the balance on the BCE to a minimum or zero every month and neither of you will notice any score change related to that card.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 4 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

No you won't get declined as an AU, you are allready an AMEX member if they were worried about you they would of closed your Zync account or started an FR.  The BCE will help your UTL but may hurt your AAoA since its a new card if the score pulled takes into account AU'd cards.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 13
muumike
Regular Contributor

Will it increase my overall credit limit since it will be reporting?

Message 6 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@muumike wrote:

Hey Guys,

The best advice is for you to get your own card when you are ready... You don't need to be an AU on her card, and its actually not smart to do so unless you're married.

Don't do it, and if she is pushy, that would be a red flag for me personally.   sure she is trying to help, but err... you're not married.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 13
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

AMEX requires you're SSN and DOB.  My sister is on my dads personal AMEX account and it does show up on her CR.  I am on all of my Dads business AMEX accounts and none of them show up on my CRs

We add employees that have less than perfect history onto our business accounts quite often and they never even question it at all, I think you're past with AMEX would have to be pretty bad for them to declind you as an AU.

If you have a card with them now you will have no problem being added as an AU, I was declined for a card and then added to my Dads business account the next day.  Waited a month and re-applied and boom accepted.  I'm thinking me being an AU on his accounts (25+ years of history) probably helped me get approved for my own.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 13
muumike
Regular Contributor

Yea thats kind of how I viewed it. I was going to app for the card anyway after a year with the Zync when my util was brought down overall, but I just wanted to make sure that she wouldnt get like a rundown of my credit report from adding me as an AU. Like I said, even though she is aware of whats on it, looking at it bothers me, nevermind her haha.

Message 9 of 13
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@muumike wrote:

Yea thats kind of how I viewed it. I was going to app for the card anyway after a year with the Zync when my util was brought down overall, but I just wanted to make sure that she wouldnt get like a rundown of my credit report from adding me as an AU. Like I said, even though she is aware of whats on it, looking at it bothers me, nevermind her haha.

If you want the card go ahead and app now, you have had your Zync long enough that you will most likely be approved.  If for some chance you are not approved it will only be a soft pull since you are a current card member, so it won't affect you're credit score at all if you're not approved.  Just make sure you apply from the website and you are logged in when you apply.

She will NOT get any information related to you're credit if let her add you, and yes it will help your utilization.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.