cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

The privacy aspect of it is interesting. To explore that issue, what would someone concerned about privacy in this way do when ordering an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant or bar, or buying alcohol or tobacco at a merchant? Clearly, merchants in those cases would not only be justified in asking for ID but are for the most part required to do so, regardless of method of payment. Same could apply to picking up a prescription at a pharmacy. These are all private businesses wanting to see our IDs in order to conduct business. Sure, these are purchases of controlled substances, but that doesn't lessen the privacy implications. So I'm curious, other than the fact that Visa and MC agreements prohibit requiring ID (though they do not prohibit asking for one), in privacy terms, what's the difference here?

This..... is a good post.... They could equally "steal" your identifying info in these cases

Message 31 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to GNC today, ive been to this location a couple times never had an issue like this.

I went to the counter with my item, one guy came over asked me if i wanted to buy another tub of protein because its buy one get one half. Then asked me if i wanted to become a GNC member for $15. I said no thank you. Then the manager comes over, and hes like "i got this ill ring him up." Then proceeds to ask me the same exact questions the previous sales person did. Again i said no thank you. He scans the item, i pull out my wallet, shuffle through 4 cc's pull out my freedom. I notice him looking the whole time. I swiped and then he started demanding to see some ID.

I said no, why should i have to show you ID? 'Ive never had to show ID to make a purchase anywhere. Ive been here before why do i have to show ID now? He then tells me its company policy, and how credit card companies require it. I told him "Thats not true, thats how you lose your visa license." He then says something idiotic "Well AMEX requires we ID everyone thats how it is." I started laughing at him "I told him you really dont want me to call AMEX and tell them you are requiring ID for purchases, they will call you so fast, dont do it." I told him i dont want to complain but he really should look it up, because this is how you lose your merchant license with them.. He just looked at me pissed when i kept refusing. 

He then said whatever, and rang me up.

This was a manager by the way. I was pretty shocked. Im not really sensitive or touchy, but i felt like i was being discriminated against. Im a mid 20s black guy with a beard and I had on a baseball cap. Im wondering if he felt i was scamming him or something. I dont know. A gentleman was serviced before me, he swiped his card and was not asked for ID. Again im normally not sensitive, but i cant ignore the feeling.

Debating if i should report them to VISA. Or call GNC corporate. 

Have you been asked to see ID to make a purchase before on an unrestricted item?

This is the number you need to call VISA  800-847-2911, they will ask you few questions to complete the report  and they will investigate in one week.

Message 32 of 65
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to GNC today, ive been to this location a couple times never had an issue like this.

I went to the counter with my item, one guy came over asked me if i wanted to buy another tub of protein because its buy one get one half. Then asked me if i wanted to become a GNC member for $15. I said no thank you. Then the manager comes over, and hes like "i got this ill ring him up." Then proceeds to ask me the same exact questions the previous sales person did. Again i said no thank you. He scans the item, i pull out my wallet, shuffle through 4 cc's pull out my freedom. I notice him looking the whole time. I swiped and then he started demanding to see some ID.

I said no, why should i have to show you ID? 'Ive never had to show ID to make a purchase anywhere. Ive been here before why do i have to show ID now? He then tells me its company policy, and how credit card companies require it. I told him "Thats not true, thats how you lose your visa license." He then says something idiotic "Well AMEX requires we ID everyone thats how it is." I started laughing at him "I told him you really dont want me to call AMEX and tell them you are requiring ID for purchases, they will call you so fast, dont do it." I told him i dont want to complain but he really should look it up, because this is how you lose your merchant license with them.. He just looked at me pissed when i kept refusing. 

He then said whatever, and rang me up.

This was a manager by the way. I was pretty shocked. Im not really sensitive or touchy, but i felt like i was being discriminated against. Im a mid 20s black guy with a beard and I had on a baseball cap. Im wondering if he felt i was scamming him or something. I dont know. A gentleman was serviced before me, he swiped his card and was not asked for ID. Again im normally not sensitive, but i cant ignore the feeling.

Debating if i should report them to VISA. Or call GNC corporate. 

Have you been asked to see ID to make a purchase before on an unrestricted item?

To be honest, it sounds like you were racial profiled. I think you should complain to GNC Corporate. The manager's name and/or employee ID# is probably printed somewhere on your receipt. 

I never really "carded" people except when I worked at Target because we were required to for alcohol purchases (yes, you can refuse to show me your ID but guess what? I ain't selling you alcohol; same with pseudoephedrine and yes, your address may stay on file for a few years). I know there's an issue of privacy but if you just show someone your ID long enough for the cashier to verify it's you and you are of legal age, it should be fine. As a former cashier, I never even looked at the address on the license. I just matched the picture to the face of the person holding and the date of birth. 

I personally think using a signature to ID the person is really outdated (and let's face it, unless you have special training, it'd be hard to pick a good forgery). I think Chip + PIN would've been the way to go..

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 33 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Companies have to skate a thin line. If nobody ever cards anyone, fraud is much less likely to be detected, and you'd be annoyed if they didn't catch someone else using your card, right?

So if for whatever reason the merchant wants to ID you to verify that it is indeed your card, what's the big deal? It takes all of 2 seconds to show your ID and move on with your day. I'm not saying whether it was right or wrong to card you in this case, it may not have been justified, but I don't know what filing a complaint will do...they're just going to say "sorry" and that's about it.

Sadly fraudsters and scammers ruin things for everyone and force retailers to be hypersensitive. I can understand privacy concerns but the sad fact is no one has privacy anymore. Do you not think the gov can see all your phone calls? Emails? Texts? Your smartphone knows where you are all the time, and is sending data to google or apple or whoever. The point is that privacy is pretty much gone no matter what thanks to the Internet and all things connected to it.

Well I have to disagree. It is a big deal if the OP was singled out because of his race.  It doesn't matter how long it takes to show the ID, he shouldn't have to show it because the merchant might not think he fits the profile of a typical credit card user.  There is a reason why MasterCard/Visa tells merchants that they can't require ID to use their cards and this is a perfect example why.

Message 34 of 65
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lots of places ask for ID now. Staples, for example, asks every time I shop there. It isn't a big deal. And I'm a 59 year old white guy.

You missed the point. The guy in front of him was not asked for ID> if this is across the board it is not a problem. but if op is singled out for whatever reason. Race. dress code whatever. NO. NO. unless all are singled out. It does not matter you are white, black., brown or Spanish. one for all. he had every right to complain. It only happens to me when im in the hood. but not in general places. and i never ever sign my credit cards. just to see who is really paying attention. 99 percent of the time. no one ever asks me for ID.

Message 35 of 65
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Companies have to skate a thin line. If nobody ever cards anyone, fraud is much less likely to be detected, and you'd be annoyed if they didn't catch someone else using your card, right?

So if for whatever reason the merchant wants to ID you to verify that it is indeed your card, what's the big deal? It takes all of 2 seconds to show your ID and move on with your day. I'm not saying whether it was right or wrong to card you in this case, it may not have been justified, but I don't know what filing a complaint will do...they're just going to say "sorry" and that's about it.

Sadly fraudsters and scammers ruin things for everyone and force retailers to be hypersensitive. I can understand privacy concerns but the sad fact is no one has privacy anymore. Do you not think the gov can see all your phone calls? Emails? Texts? Your smartphone knows where you are all the time, and is sending data to google or apple or whoever. The point is that privacy is pretty much gone no matter what thanks to the Internet and all things connected to it.

Well I have to disagree. It is a big deal if the OP was singled out because of his race.  It doesn't matter how long it takes to show the ID, he shouldn't have to show it because the merchant might not think he fits the profile of a typical credit card user.  There is a reason why MasterCard/Visa tells merchants that they can't require ID to use their cards and this is a perfect example why.

Well said.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 36 of 65
steel_string
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I have to disagree. It is a big deal if the OP was singled out because of his race.

That's a pretty big "if"... we have no real indication that that's what happened here. It could just as easily be the OP's personal prejudices that are making this into a racial incident. Maybe they randomly check ID. Maybe the OP did something suspicious. And maybe it really was because of his race. We have nothing to support any of those possibilities, really.

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 37 of 65
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@steel_string wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I have to disagree. It is a big deal if the OP was singled out because of his race.

That's a pretty big "if"... we have no real indication that that's what happened here. It could just as easily be the OP's personal prejudices that are making this into a racial incident. Maybe they randomly check ID. Maybe the OP did something suspicious. And maybe it really was because of his race. We have nothing to support any of those possibilities, really.

Yeah but the whole manager stepping (barging) in during the transaction and then attempting to enforce this "policy"? ...doesn't sound very normal to me!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 38 of 65
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

No they don't. A business would have to decide whether or not the benefit outweighs any risk associated with accepting additional payment methods and then determine it is within their risk appetite. And what they don't get to do, is add unnecessary steps to the transaction process that Visa and MasterCard preclude. Both associations have determined that ID cannot be a prerequisite for a transaction. Asking for ID, payment minimums, surcharges are ultimately petty efforts by merchants to discourage card use and instead direct a customer to use cash, this is called card suppression. Customers expect a uniform and consistent experience when they properly present their card for payment and so the rules are meant to ensure this is achieved. A business has to make a choice on cards and that choice excludes adding steps like requiring ID. You either accept cards and comply with card acceptance procedures or you don't accept cards.

Message 39 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear ya!  I was asked once and felt intimidated and showed it to the woman.  And that was in Bath & Body Works!  Like really?  I'm a middle-aged white woman.  I think some just like to be jerks & push their weight around. Glad you stood up to him! Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.