Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOT FR by AMEX ! Have questions...

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: GOT FR by AMEX ! Have questions...

@Anonymous wrote:

luckily I haven't been using it since I passed the 1500 spend to get the bonus threshold, so I didn't get the embarrassment of being declined at a store!  I have been using my Chase Freedom pretty heavily now since I find that the rewards are a bit better for me and my spending, and I have the Chase Freedom and the CSP and checking account combo so the rewards just in the first couple of months have been amazing so far.  I am not really sad about being out of the AMEX family, since Chase shows me more love :-) 

Just a question though, if in a year I decide to apply for another AMEX card do you guys think I will get FR right away because I had an FR before I closed my cards this year?

who knows....

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 11 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks walt for answering my question (or really reading my mind :-) 

Message 12 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

No one knows for sure but i would think AMEX keeps good records or their cardholders and will more than likely see your FR and closing on an account review

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 42
longhorn11
New Contributor

If I had to make a guess just on the info you supplied, it would probably have something to do with opening another 3-4 new accounts just 2 months after you opened 2 revolving cc's with them.  Their credit cards are already more difficult to get than charge cards and to get 2 (on the same day I assume) plus getting more accounts just a few months after could have been a red flag.  Especially with the way the BoA card reports, what amex sees is a new account that is already maxed out.  

As far as being able to apply later on, I've heard some reports that you could try it 90 days later and everything is fine.  Others have said even after a year, they may get approved but their charging will be suspended the day they get their card.  YMMV.

Message 14 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey longhorn,

Thanks for replying.  In regards to the 3 new accounts, my chase accounts have not yet reported so the only thing AMEX is seeing is the bofa visa sig card.  At least getting the 100 bonus covered my 75 annual fee for the AMEX BCP (SPG AF was waived the first year).  Good thing I didnt get a charge card or else I would have lost my welcome bonus points...

Message 15 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bcbglover Have you tried calling the executive offices about it? (number in backdoor # thread at top of CC forum)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey LS,

I would call if I actually thought they could help me avoid releasing my tax returns...anybody else have success with FR recon via exec offices at AMEX?

Message 17 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It may not be successful but its always worth a shot! Cant hurt!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 42
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Please help me understand, friends...but what is so unnerving about a FR? So you have to send them your tax returns to match the income and employment info you provided when they approved you. Why is this a bother to so many? They are showing good faith extending the credit/charge account to you in the first place. As long as information hasn't been fudged (not accusing...just saying in general...) on the app, there shouldn't be an issue.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Amex decided to FR me, I wouldn't go through with it.  I consider it too invasive, but I think I'm a very private person in general.  There are plenty of other lenders that will issue me a card without that process, so I'd go to somebody else.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.