Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

I got an invite to apply for a wachovia Visa rewards card, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. TU is clean @ 757, newest account is a Chase Freedom from 1/2009. Before that I went on a spree in 8/2008.

I got the 10 day message,

Think I will get the card?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

I would think so with those scores.  Wachovia always pulls TU in VA so you should be good. I am not sure if they do instant approvals. You can always can all inquire.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wachovia, to the best of my knowledge, does not do instant approval.  I didn't hear from them for at least 4-5 days, and I was approved.  FYI, their initial CL tends to be lower. but gave excellent CLI at 6 months.
Message 3 of 17
techman2008
New Contributor

I don't see why not with your score.    It's addicting isn't it?  I remember applying for an boa amex reward card in oct/2008  and didn't get any instant approval and had to wait for two weeks before they sent me the card with a limit of 7500. 

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks good. I don't see anything wrong with the application.

If you think you overdo it, there are always other outlets for dusting off your existing cards:

1. With Discover, just order one of their other card designs.

2. With many other banks, you can customize your cards, perhaps with a pic of your pet spider?

3. You can also buy card covers, like this one  Smiley Very Happy  

Have fun!

Message 5 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I appd for and received a Wachovia last fall. I never called and thought I was denied, but nearly 3 weeks later, I received a card in the mail for $2500 CL with TU at 670 or so.
Message Edited by llecs on 05-17-2009 09:08 AM
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@I got an invite to apply for a wachovia Visa rewards card, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. TU is clean @ 757, newest account is a Chase Freedom from 1/2009. Before that I went on a spree in 8/2008.

I got the 10 day message,

Think I will get the card?

App'ing can be very addicting, so to speak.  It is very similar to gambling, if you think about it.  You "play your hand" (your CR/FICO) against your opponent (various CCC's) and when you "win" you see a dollar value winnings (your initial CL). 

Ebay is a similar phenomena.  It has been shown that many people actually pay a higher cost for many items on Ebay than if they had shopped around online or locally.  However, Ebay provides a "gambling" like "bid process" in which you get "Congratulations!  You have WON!"

There is a psychology to this that definitely makes this somewhat "addicting" as you said.  The key, moderation in all things, just like drinking, gambling or other addicting activities.

Message 7 of 17
techman2008
New Contributor

txjohn,

Many times where I overpaid for an item on ebay lol.  I bought a lot o stupid things too cause I couldn't stop in trying to always to win.  Though I compare first before I go crazy.   They do the max bid, though you're right in that you don't want to lose.   Of course sometime the one who's putting the item on bid might be using their friend to raise to get you to over bid. 

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@techman2008 wrote:

txjohn,

Many times where I overpaid for an item on ebay lol.  I bought a lot o stupid things too cause I couldn't stop in trying to always to win.  Though I compare first before I go crazy.   They do the max bid, though you're right in that you don't want to lose.   Of course sometime the one who's putting the item on bid might be using their friend to raise to get you to over bid. 

Yep, I know the feeling.  That's why I only use auction snipe for anything on ebay.  I put my bid into the snipe service that is the maximum value I'm willing to pay, then I walk away and don't look at it again.  If I win, great, I got a good deal.   If I don't win, great, I didn't overpay Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, I know the feeling.  That's why I only use auction snipe for anything on ebay.  I put my bid into the snipe service that is the maximum value I'm willing to pay, then I walk away and don't look at it again.  If I win, great, I got a good deal.   If I don't win, great, I didn't overpay Smiley Happy

I have never got anything I wanted on ebay for a fair price without sniping. That's one thing I learned: If I place a bid, no matter how small, it will make the item interesting. Then someone else will come and outbid me. If I wait to the last moment, chances are that I will be the only bidder.

This brings us back to this board Smiley Very Happy. As soon as someone here applies for a certain credit card and gets it, 50 others will follow, because that one success of someone else makes the card interesting to others. That's why we see so many spontaneous card applications for the same card in succession. It also explains the "flavor of the month" mechanism Smiley Happy.

I try to deal with this by making a list of the cards I still want. There are two "for sure" and one "maybe" on that list. I promised myself to stick to this for the moment. I admit that my new Alliant card was not on that list, but at least I had a half way reasonable explanation here, because I wanted to have their savings account, and I took the carrot when it dangled in front of my nose.

But I try to keep this a one time occasion. As much as my experience with many ebay "wins" where I later have no idea why I actually bought those, I don't want to end up with many cards I have no real use for. And that's a goal I want to stick to!

Message Edited by Ulan on 05-17-2009 09:24 AM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.