Did you mean: 

Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

tag
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

@techman2008 wrote:

txjohn,

Many times where I overpaid for an item on ebay lol.  I bought a lot o stupid things too cause I couldn't stop in trying to always to win.  Though I compare first before I go crazy.   They do the max bid, though you're right in that you don't want to lose.   Of course sometime the one who's putting the item on bid might be using their friend to raise to get you to over bid. 

Sniping is your friend. Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's so addicting about the possibility of aquiring more credit cards? I'm looking to get rid of mine and you folks are collecting them like rookie baseball cards. Smiley Surprised
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What's so addicting about the possibility of aquiring more credit cards? I'm looking to get rid of mine and you folks are collecting them like rookie baseball cards. Smiley Surprised

Isn't the "get rid of" a part of "upgrading" meaning you had certain cards, then got better cards, then would like to get rid of the older or less desirable?

That is part of the proposed addiction.  Not just in getting cards, but over time getting better cards, which often means pruning the less desirable.

In the beginning many people are "excited" to get their first Orchard or First Premiere.  Then a year or two later they are getting better cards and the love is gone from the relationship of Orchard, etc.  Eventually there does come a time when you look back, are happy with your portfolio in general, but would like to prune a few of the less useful or desirable.  But wasn't that a direct result of the "getting the good 'uns?"

Message 13 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

In addition to a gambling mentality that I think some of our kinda-out-of-control app'ers display, I also think that there's a separate hunter mentality. Learning about your prey, choosing the right weapons, stalking them, picking the right moment, and blam! --or zing, I suppose, for the bowhunters among us. Skillful hunters don't waste their shots, and they hit their targets with a minimum amount of ammo.

So instead of carrying home a deer strapped to the roof, another card gets wedged into the wallet.

I'm of this second group. When I was upgrading my credit profile, I did a lot of research and a lot of waiting, and I got what I wanted. (I also succumbed to buck fever with another card which I have since dumped. Smiley Very Happy )

I enjoyed the hunt, and I enjoyed my "kill", so to speak, especially as I didn't have to sit in a tree, drag heavy corpses back to the truck, or gut anything. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 17
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Great analagy Hauling! Now I can't wait for deer season and it isn't even summer yet Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled effin equifax, 744, I have a repo and they shot me down. I am taking it personal, and moving my checking to a different bank. Screw em..
Message 16 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

if you don't want a report pulled without prior knowledge consider freezing.  with scores that high your repo must be pretty old, and hopefully gone soon. 

i wouldn't be psyched about a banking relationship after the denial either.  Alliant is my current CU pick for banking and USAA my favorite bank so far.  gl finding a good one to match your requirements.

Message Edited by score_building on 05-19-2009 04:12 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.