Established Contributor
MsKiwi

Re: Gahhhh! Why is apping so addicting?

techman2008 wrote:

txjohn,

Many times where I overpaid for an item on ebay lol.  I bought a lot o stupid things too cause I couldn't stop in trying to always to win.  Though I compare first before I go crazy.   They do the max bid, though you're right in that you don't want to lose.   Of course sometime the one who's putting the item on bid might be using their friend to raise to get you to over bid. 

Sniping is your friend. :smileyvery-happy:

Valued Member
MaxPower

What's so addicting about the possibility of aquiring more credit cards? I'm looking to get rid of mine and you folks are collecting them like rookie baseball cards. :smileysurprised:
Senior Contributor
txjohn

MaxPower wrote:
What's so addicting about the possibility of aquiring more credit cards? I'm looking to get rid of mine and you folks are collecting them like rookie baseball cards. :smileysurprised:

Isn't the "get rid of" a part of "upgrading" meaning you had certain cards, then got better cards, then would like to get rid of the older or less desirable?

That is part of the proposed addiction.  Not just in getting cards, but over time getting better cards, which often means pruning the less desirable.

In the beginning many people are "excited" to get their first Orchard or First Premiere.  Then a year or two later they are getting better cards and the love is gone from the relationship of Orchard, etc.  Eventually there does come a time when you look back, are happy with your portfolio in general, but would like to prune a few of the less useful or desirable.  But wasn't that a direct result of the "getting the good 'uns?"

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

In addition to a gambling mentality that I think some of our kinda-out-of-control app'ers display, I also think that there's a separate hunter mentality. Learning about your prey, choosing the right weapons, stalking them, picking the right moment, and blam! --or zing, I suppose, for the bowhunters among us. Skillful hunters don't waste their shots, and they hit their targets with a minimum amount of ammo.

So instead of carrying home a deer strapped to the roof, another card gets wedged into the wallet.

I'm of this second group. When I was upgrading my credit profile, I did a lot of research and a lot of waiting, and I got what I wanted. (I also succumbed to buck fever with another card which I have since dumped. :smileyvery-happy: )

I enjoyed the hunt, and I enjoyed my "kill", so to speak, especially as I didn't have to sit in a tree, drag heavy corpses back to the truck, or gut anything. :smileytongue:
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Frequent Contributor
dizbuster

Great analagy Hauling! Now I can't wait for deer season and it isn't even summer yet :smileyhappy:
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Frequent Contributor
going2tdc

They pulled effin equifax, 744, I have a repo and they shot me down. I am taking it personal, and moving my checking to a different bank. Screw em..
Senior Contributor
score_building

[ Edited ]

if you don't want a report pulled without prior knowledge consider freezing.  with scores that high your repo must be pretty old, and hopefully gone soon. 

i wouldn't be psyched about a banking relationship after the denial either.  Alliant is my current CU pick for banking and USAA my favorite bank so far.  gl finding a good one to match your requirements.

Message Edited by score_building on 05-19-2009 04:12 AM
FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+