cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining points/miles for free using Paypal?

tag
Darius1976
New Contributor

Gaining points/miles for free using Paypal?

This is a little immoral story, but I wanted to know if its sounds true.  I didn't think it was.  Anyhow.  I talked with a friend of mine and he stated that he and another friend want to test a theory and it worked.  He had a Delta miles card and his friend had a paypal account.  He transferred money buy "purchasing" an item from his friend and paid it to the paypal account.  Once the paypal account cleared the money, the other guy withdrew the money and just gave it back to the orignal guy.

Isn't that really shady thing to do?  What are your thoughts?

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gaining points/miles for free using Paypal?

This would fall under the "Manufactured Spending" conversation

If done in moderation, or at least very carefully, you can get away with it. But if your lender finds out you're clearly, and obviously gaming their reward system, they will come down on you hard.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 2 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Its called manuafactored spending, and is forbidden in most credit card agreements, it does happen, its dangerous for the credit card holder, if the person with the paypal account doesn't give you the money back it can get ugly, if you are caught the creditor will shut down all of your accounts, and possibly black list you for life, don't forget that paypal has fee's as well which are greater than the rewards you get, could be helpful for meeting spend requirements to get sign up bonuses. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 15
Darius1976
New Contributor

i totally agee. I told him that credit card companies have ways to protect themselves from those types of actions.  it didn't sound good at all.

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 4 of 15
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Darius1976 wrote:

This is a little immoral story, but I wanted to know if its sounds true.  I didn't think it was.  Anyhow.  I talked with a friend of mine and he stated that he and another friend want to test a theory and it worked.  He had a Delta miles card and his friend had a paypal account.  He transferred money buy "purchasing" an item from his friend and paid it to the paypal account.  Once the paypal account cleared the money, the other guy withdrew the money and just gave it back to the orignal guy.

Isn't that really shady thing to do?  What are your thoughts?

Most things that seem shady usually are...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Its called manuafactored spending, and is forbidden in most credit card agreements, it does happen, its dangerous for the credit card holder, if the person with the paypal account doesn't give you the money back it can get ugly, if you are caught the creditor will shut down all of your accounts, and possibly black list you for life, don't forget that paypal has fee's as well which are greater than the rewards you get, could be helpful for meeting spend requirements to get sign up bonuses. 

I don't think this is particularly forbidden in the T&Cs, which focus more on buying of cash equivalents, whereas this is more of a fake transaction.  What stops this more, as you say, is the PP fees, did the friend return the total purchase price (in which case there was a loss) or purchase-fees, in which case the transaction probably wasn't profitable for the card holder.

Using phrases like "shady" doesn't mean much.  There is a sliding scale that each person has a comfort level with.  For example, where are you on this scale!

1) I apply for a card I don't really "need", just for the bonus.

1a) Shortly after meeting the bonus, I close the card

1b) or, since it doesn't have an AF, I just SD it.

2) As above in 1a), then after whatever time is needed, I apply again and churn for the bonus

3) I use Amazon payments to send $1K to my partner, and he/she withdraws it and gives it back as a check (a smarter way of what was described in the OP)

4) I MS $2K a month

5) I MS $20K a month

6) I MS $200K a month

7) I work at a bar, and whenever possible I clone people's cards and sell them to a friend for $100 each

8) I kill people, hide their bodies and steal their cards, this gives me a long time to use them before they are reported.

Message 6 of 15
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

I don't think this is particularly forbidden in the T&Cs, which focus more on buying of cash equivalents, whereas this is more of a fake transaction.  What stops this more, as you say, is the PP fees, did the friend return the total purchase price (in which case there was a loss) or purchase-fees, in which case the transaction probably wasn't profitable for the card holder.

Using phrases like "shady" doesn't mean much.  There is a sliding scale that each person has a comfort level with.  For example, where are you on this scale!

2) As above in 1a), then after whatever time is needed, I apply again and churn for the bonus

3) I use Amazon payments to send $1K to my partner, and he/she withdraws it and gives it back as a check (a smarter way of what was described in the OP)

4) I MS $2K a month

5) I MS $20K a month

6) I MS $200K a month

7) I work at a bar, and whenever possible I clone people's cards and sell them to a friend for $100 each

8) I kill people, hide their bodies and steal their cards, this gives me a long time to use them before they are reported.

LTlurker,

Before #1 is also this one:

a)  I freeze all my CRs except the one I want creditors to see;

b) I RECON and ask the creditor to HP only the CRA that favors me;

There is also #19:

Which goes something like this..

a) I know and am aware that reload cards require cash to buy but I will come up with many ways to trick the cashier to selling me one;

b)  I will buy reload cards from CVS but only at late evenings when no one is really paying attention;

c)  I will offer to pay a cashier at CVS so he will sell me a reload card using CC;

For me tho I probably fit in #20 which goes like this:

I find the closest card to 5% rewards and I MS and load to paypal.  Then pay for things using Paypal and get an extra 1.5% cashback for using PP debit card.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 7 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

4) I MS $2K a month

5) I MS $20K a month

6) I MS $200K a month

LTlurker,

There is also #19:

a) I know and am aware that reload cards require cash to buy but I will come up with many ways to trick the cashier to selling me one;

b)  I will buy reload cards from CVS but only at late evenings when no one is really paying attention;

c)  I will offer to pay a cashier at CVS so he will sell me a reload card using CC;

I find the closest card to 5% rewards and I MS and load to paypal.  Then pay for things using Paypal and get an extra 1.5% cashback for using PP debit card.

This is not encouraged and is in a violation of the TOS please refrain 

Thanks MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

4) I MS $2K a month

5) I MS $20K a month

6) I MS $200K a month

LTlurker,

There is also #19:

Thanks MJ

That's quite funny, giving the impression that freezing your reports is more frowned upon than my 7 and 8!

Message 9 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

4) I MS $2K a month

5) I MS $20K a month

6) I MS $200K a month

LTlurker,

There is also #19:

Thanks MJ

That's quite funny, giving the impression that freezing your reports is more frowned upon than my 7 and 8!

Actually I'll be watching the whole thread because It's full of unrelated credit subject matter going on here 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.