Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gamestop CC - to hold onto or close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gamestop CC - to hold onto or close?

so ive been debating about my gamestop credit card.. its my second oldest card at 2 years and it started at $350 and is now up to $950.. i used to play my xbox a lot more but now it only gets turned on when my nephew visits.. i could use it just to pay my powerup rewards pro membership but i really dont need that either haha.. if i was going to buy anything there now id probably use one of my regular rewards cards.

the only thing about keeping it is for my AAofA and utilization.. will Comenity close it on me if i dont use it and what will that do to my credit? will it be the same thing as me closing it?

theres no upgrades for it to a visa or mc right? do they ever reallocate credit? like to my VS and Express?

thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gamestop CC - to hold onto or close?

If you close it will not affect your AAOA. It will stay on your reports 10 years as satisfactory and still factor into your AAOA's.

Keeping it open will pad your UTI if you need it to.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will not reallocate it.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thank you donny.. maybe ill just hold onto it and keep my powerup rewards going cause i guess you never know!

Message 4 of 9
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I say keep it and use it for padding. I don't think its doing anything to hurt at this point.
Just send them $1 payment every few months. This helps in many ways. It keeps the account active and forces a statement to cut. They wouldn't give me a cli on any cards, i don't use them. They also stopped reporting since no statements were cut. Sending them $1 payment resolved these issues. Worked on all my comenity cards. Received cli on all cards after the statements cut too.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close it. Store cards are ok but if it isn't really serving you a purpose, it doesn't look good. Bank cards are the way to go except for store cards that you will absolutely benefit from. Resist the temptation!

Also some insurance companies don't like seeing store cards on your credit file in excess. Always keep that in mind if you're someone who relies on those kinds of services.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

what? insurance companies? i already have life, health and auto so...?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

what? insurance companies? i already have life, health and auto so...?

Don't worry about it Sasha. It may not look good under a manual review if you have only multiple store cards that are caught up in toy limit hell.

Keep it open.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Close it. Store cards are ok but if it isn't really serving you a purpose, it doesn't look good. Bank cards are the way to go except for store cards that you will absolutely benefit from. Resist the temptation!

Also some insurance companies don't like seeing store cards on your credit file in excess. Always keep that in mind if you're someone who relies on those kinds of services.

Each card should serve a purpose. How do you know it doesn't serve a purpose for the OP? Insurance companies? Really? Cut me a break.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.