Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gander Mountain Mastercard and store card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gander Mountain Mastercard and store card

I don't have this card, but did notice that Gander Mountain is closing a number of its sporting goods and outdoor stores very suddenly and declaring bankruptcy as well.

There is both a mastercard and a store card version currently issued by Comenity. I wonder if this will be yet another Comenity card that gets shut down and no longer will be in existence.

Comenity has discontinued quite a few card relationships with other merchants in the past year and a half (i.e., Vitacost, Red Roof, Motorola, MyPoints Visa, CREDO, and at least 10 others).  We will see.

Since quite a few Gander Mountain stores will still remain open, no one can really say exactly what will happen at this early juncture. They have 162 locations and are only closing 32 of them, so not all stores are closing.

Certainly something to keep an eye on. This seems to be a difficult era for retail overall.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Gander Mountain Mastercard and store card

My guess is yes the card would just be shut off. Comenity doesn't really have their "own" cards so when a relationship ends it's not like they will convert you to some other random store card in most cases. It will likely just cease to exist if all the stores close.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what would happen to those accounts (like mine) that still carry a balance if they were to do away with those cards?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So what would happen to those accounts (like mine) that still carry a balance if they were to do away with those cards?

Since they're declaring bankruptcy but only closing 32 out of 162 locations, it's more of a "wait and see" situation at this point. No need to worry, just something to keep an eye on.

Generally, even if a card closes, the lender has to let the cardholder pay according to the terms of the original agreement. It could create an issue however for utilization if you had a card showing it was closed but had utilization.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not worried about it, I was just curious. I never really thought about it until I came across this post today. Just wasn't sure about the payment terms and how all that would work with a company that was filing bankruptcy 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reduced my stable of Comenity cards down from 12 to Sportsmans Guide Visa and Total Rewards MC.

They continue to try and get me to come back with snail mail pre-approvals for Gander Mountain MC, Cold Water Creek MC, Williams-Sonoma Visa and so forth.

Our Gander Mountain here is safe for now.  I think I am done for a long time after my massive approval with NFCU.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I reduced my stable of Comenity cards down from 12 to Sportsmans Guide Visa and Total Rewards MC.

They continue to try and get me to come back with snail mail pre-approvals for Gander Mountain MC, Cold Water Creek MC, Williams-Sonoma Visa and so forth.

Our Gander Mountain here is safe for now.  I think I am done for a long time after my massive approval with NFCU.

I  also received a prequal for Gander Mountain last month.  For a company on the chopping block, Comedy is certainly pushing this card.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the gander mountain master card and as of today, they are telling me that it's still good to use....I have had it about 1.5 years so I would hate to lose it. That's the problem with hole in the wall banks they really have nothing to replace it with. Have to wait and see.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called regarding this. I was told that the Mastercard will continue to work wherever Mastercard is accepted. Unfortunately, I have just the store card. I was told that those with just the store card, the card is useless as of right now, and can no longer be used. I asked what will happen to my account, and was told that they really don't know, but it will remian open for the time being.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a Cabela's visa and am in the middle of what will happen to that also....one thing I hate about store branded cards. I was really hoping that BOA would take over world foremost bank and my card would just be switched to a bass pro card. Gander mountain was also so much higher on products I was wondering when it would go broke.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.