Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap Visa CLI tips?

tag
saving_grace16
New Contributor

Gap Visa CLI tips?

Hi everyone - 

So I just applied for a CLI for my Gap Visa (GECRB).  Asking to go from 4200 to 6500, but was denied.  Do you know how long I would have to wait to do another CLI (is it another 4 months like I have seen on other threads?).  Also, any tips to be more successful in my next CLI request with them? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gap Visa CLI tips?

I've been able to get an increase on GE accounts after a 30 day wait from denial.  I've never done the online CLI, so I always call Credit Solutions and name the amount I would like.  They will counter offer if they can.  They tend to like having balances report, then pif.

Message 2 of 10
saving_grace16
New Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I've been able to get an increase on GE accounts after a 30 day wait from denial.  I've never done the online CLI, so I always call Credit Solutions and name the amount I would like.  They will counter offer if they can.  They tend to like having balances report, then pif.

How do you call credit solutions?  I just called the # on the back of the card and spoke to a representative - would I need to do something different?  

And yes, I have learned that they like to have balances report.  In fact - over the last 2 years, I have received CLis without asking every 6 months, which was when my utilization of the card was at it's highest. 

Message 3 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@saving_grace16 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

How do you call credit solutions?  I just called the # on the back of the card and spoke to a representative - would I need to do something different?  

And yes, I have learned that they like to have balances report.  In fact - over the last 2 years, I have received CLis without asking every 6 months, which was when my utilization of the card was at it's highest. 

Try calling the GE backdoor number from the sticky.  If you've had the account 2 years you could probably just call now, I believe they close at 9pm Pacific.

Message 4 of 10
saving_grace16
New Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@saving_grace16 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Try calling the GE backdoor number from the sticky.  If you've had the account 2 years you could probably just call now, I believe they close at 9pm Pacific.

From the sticky?

Message 5 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

When you click "credit cards" from the menu at top, one of the pinned posts is "backdoor numbers."  It's a very nice tool, all of the numbers for lenders!

GE:  877-379-8173

Message 6 of 10
saving_grace16
New Contributor

Thanks!  You think I could call now, even if I just called and talked to a CSR for the GAP line specifically about an hour from when i originally posted?

Message 7 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@saving_grace16 wrote:

Thanks!  You think I could call now, even if I just called and talked to a CSR for the GAP line specifically about an hour from when i originally posted?

No problem!  Yes, I would try now.  Just tell them you have a Gap Visa card and would like to be considered for a higher limit.  They will ask what amount you want and what is your income.

Some people ask for as much as $25k, but just ask for whatever you're comfortable with.  I usually ask for 3x my current limit, but I haven't requested any in about a year.

Message 8 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Any update?
Message 9 of 10
vega25

I have tried once a year using the online CLI option. It worked every year - was instant and immediately notified online - for the past four years EXCEPT this February. I seem to have hit the max they are willing to offer me, which is $5K. I am not planning to call in and speak to a manager or try again in a bit, because I don't think it'll be worth a hard pull on the credit report if they decide to do that.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.