Garden Club - August 2015

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Garden Club - August 2015

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TIME FOR FRIDAY NIGHT SOCIALLLLLL..........

MENU: SEARED SCALLOPS WITH BACON-BRAISED CHARD

DRINKS: LA FLORIDA RUM DAISY & OTHERS

TODAY'S JUICY TOPIC: IN LIGHT OF THE ASHLEY MADISON HACK, DO YOU THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SMARTER FOR THE DUDES AND DUDETTES ON THERE TO USE PREPAID CARDS INSTEAD OF ACTUAL CREDIT CARDS? 

NOTE: LET'S HAVE A HEALTHY DISCUSSION & NOT ARGUMENTSSmiley Wink....

HD-200810-r-scallops-bacon-chard.jpg

HD-200907-r-choc-cake.jpg

HD-2010-r-cocktail-florida-rum-daisy.jpg

ENJOY AND I HOPE EVERYONE'S START IS OFF TO A GOOD STARTSmiley Tongue....

Tonight social topic

A debit card or prepaid card would have been a good choice but sex on the mind probably outweighed good judgement I would suspect Smiley Very Happy

^+1..  One doesn't think clearly when thing such as this are on their minds.  Smiley Happy

Exactly ROFLOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 1271 of 1,370
BUN
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TODAY'S JUICY TOPIC: IN LIGHT OF THE ASHLEY MADISON HACK, DO YOU THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SMARTER FOR THE DUDES AND DUDETTES ON THERE TO USE PREPAID CARDS INSTEAD OF ACTUAL CREDIT CARDS? 

NOTE: LET'S HAVE A HEALTHY DISCUSSION & NOT ARGUMENTSSmiley Wink....

HD-200810-r-scallops-bacon-chard.jpg

HD-200907-r-choc-cake.jpg

HD-2010-r-cocktail-florida-rum-daisy.jpg

Tonight social topic

A debit card or prepaid card would have been a good choice but sex on the mind probably outweighed good judgement I would suspect Smiley Very Happy

^+1..  One doesn't think clearly when thing such as this are on their minds.  Smiley Happy

Exactly ROFLOL

Yes, in this day and age, if you're gonna creep, expect to be found out and be proactive about making sure you cover your tracks. Pre paid AMEX would have been a game changer.

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 1272 of 1,370
Anonymous
Not applicable

All kidding aside -- would a prepaid card have really solved the problem?  Wouldn't professional hacks have traced the users back to their IP addresses, because the dudes and dudettes had to sign up on-line for their accounts, right??  

Message 1273 of 1,370
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hey GC! Got my Bronze spade today! Smiley Very Happy AND to top it off, I got a nice 15 point bump on my EX score! 658--->673!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1274 of 1,370
BUN
Established Contributor

Spectacular meal, BTW, thank you for that and the thought provoking topic!!Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 1275 of 1,370
BUN
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Hey GC! Got my Bronze spade today! Smiley Very Happy AND to top it off, I got a nice 15 point bump on my EX score! 658--->673!

Way to go dude!!! Keep up the good work!!!Smiley Happy

Message 1276 of 1,370
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gardened for several months prior to my latest app before I even knew what gardening even was.

I've been gardening for 1 week. It feels so much longer now that I know.

Happy friday, all.

Message 1277 of 1,370
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, spectacular meal. I REALLY need a good meal tonight. LOOONNNNG Week. 

I think even not-in-light-of-the-hack, it would have been smart to use pre paid cards, if anything could be considered 'smart' about the endeavor in the first place. 

Message 1278 of 1,370
Anonymous
Not applicable

OmarGB9, congrats again! It seems you're climbing up everyday!

In terms to the topic, it may have been irresponsible of them to use their CC info, and it will cost them dearly, but I'm honestly more concerned with the release of their names and addresses--perhaps not so much with people who were cheating because it was convenient for them, but with people who were using the site because divorce is either impossible or imposes a danger on them, or because their orientation is illegal in their country, or something like that. In some countries, things like this can be a death penalty offense.

It's one thing that many might lose their relationship with their SO, or have to pay hefty fines for adultery or alimony or child support or something, and it's another thing that some might lose their lives because they'll be sentenced to death, or their SO is a dangerous person who might hurt them and they might not have any protections under law.

I'm a real sunshine at parties, though! Totally not a downer.

When I'm wary of a website (I don't really do anything that might incriminate me in any way, except maybe weird out anyone going through my history--mum doesn't understand why I'm here so often for example, hahaha! But I suppose incriminating behaviour applies here), I will opt for a Visa GC, and if this was ever a recurring charge, you bet I'd be using prepaid. But, like other people said, that alone doesn't protect you.

Message 1279 of 1,370
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Chard drinks?   Oh...ok...read that too fast.

Do I think prepaid cards should have been used instead?   Absolutely not!   Given the sensitive nature of that type of site, security on CC info is actually much stronger than the personal data.   Even if that weren't the case, one of the best benefits of using credit is a sense of protection.  CCs typically have zero fraud liability.   If you put cash on a prepaid card, say goodbye to it if you lose the card.  If the card is compromised, it could take a while to fix.   When my Discover card was used fraudulently recently, i was out that amount on my CL.   It was an annoyance, but it didn't have a financial impact on me.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 1280 of 1,370
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.