Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club - December 2015

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Garden Club - December 2015

@daihashi wrote:

I bought my house when I was 28, I'm 35 now. I hope you do a better job of researching and knowing what to look for in a house than I did. I found a billions gremlins after I bought this house, and have been in "home renovation" mode ever since... Ugh

One more thing pay for an inspector, preferably one who is also a structural engineer. If you can't find an inspector that is also a structural engineer then get a good quality  normal home inspector + see about having a foundation repair company come out to give their opinion.

Home shopping has a way of making flaws invisible to the buyer. Everything on the surface looks perfect, but its what's underneath that is most important. If the core of your house is rough, then recurring problems will soon follow.

I actually work for the city I live in, I plan on taking advantage of all of our city inspectors Smiley Tongue and following up with my own. The good thing about wanting to buy a home in the city I work for is I can see what permits have been pulled , average water bill, etc. You're absolutely right though. Here's hoping two years down the road I'm a smarter person than i am now. 

Message 591 of 799
daihashi
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually work for the city I live in, I plan on taking advantage of all of our city inspectors Smiley Tongue and following up with my own. The good thing about wanting to buy a home in the city I work for is I can see what permits have been pulled , average water bill, etc. You're absolutely right though. Here's hoping two years down the road I'm a smarter person than i am now. 

Thats awesome; I wish I was savvy enough to know to do these things at the time, or had direct exposure to it like you do working directly for the city. If only I had listened to my real estate agent... but nooooo, I was under pressure to find a home before my locked rate ended... and I was blinded by the giant back yard I have. 

Sounds like you will be in a much better position; in terms of strategy and overall knowledge, than I ever could have been when I purchased my home several years ago. Smiley Happy

In the garden since: 11/12/2015
Starting Scores (11/13/2015): EQ 665 | TU 671 | EX 663
Current Scores (06/25/2016): EQ 690 | TU 711 | EX 700
Goal Score:
720 across all 3 by 07/2016

>

Message 592 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

daihashi - the money pit ... understand. Structural is never cheap ... good luck on your reno!
Message 593 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:
daihashi - the money pit ... understand. Structural is never cheap ... good luck on your reno!

ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!
Apologies, I felt you needed to feel my excitment that someone else has seen this movie. LOL 

Message 594 of 799
daihashi
Valued Member

@Spider15 wrote:

lol; funny movie. 

And thanks.. I am finally almost done. Today I am installing new windows. I'm the kind of person who is really curious about how everything around them works; and because of this I've done all of my own home renovation. Figured that if I screwed up then I'll think about paying someone to come in and clean my mess... or at least get an estimate/opinion on what it would cost to clean up my mess, and then calculate whether or not I could still do it cheaper (and use it as a reason to buy more tools). 

I'm glad to say that I've run into relatively minor hiccups. I encourage others to try their hand at major renovations if they have the time to do it; which is really the key... anything is possible if a person has enough time on their hands. I treated the renovations the same way I learned how to work on cars and build engines; just tear it all apart and soon the logic/understanding on how to tackle the job will follow. 

After I finish with the windows I think I will revisit my attic. I recently did the insulation on my exterior walls and I realized that the insulation job I did in the attic is not really as good as I would have liked it to be. I also want to explore knocking out some walls where I found some hidden space and turn them into rooms for additional storage, or maybe a small study... maybe I'll get really fancy and "hide" them by building out a pocket door in front of them. Smiley Happy

In the garden since: 11/12/2015
Starting Scores (11/13/2015): EQ 665 | TU 671 | EX 663
Current Scores (06/25/2016): EQ 690 | TU 711 | EX 700
Goal Score:
720 across all 3 by 07/2016

>

Message 595 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello GC! On a mission to pack everything into a single carry on for this Montego Bay trip. 8 days left. Still not too excited but all my VS stuff finally arrived and the bikinis fit perfect. Smiley Very Happy In credit news I've still got nothing except AARP is by far the prettiest card I now possess. 😍
Message 596 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daihashi wrote:

I bought my house when I was 28, I'm 35 now. I hope you do a better job of researching and knowing what to look for in a house than I did. I found a billions gremlins after I bought this house, and have been in "home renovation" mode ever since... Ugh

One more thing pay for an inspector, preferably one who is also a structural engineer. If you can't find an inspector that is also a structural engineer then get a good quality  normal home inspector + see about having a foundation repair company come out to give their opinion.

Home shopping has a way of making flaws invisible to the buyer. Everything on the surface looks perfect, but its what's underneath that is most important. If the core of your house is rough, then recurring problems will soon follow.

I think that's just what happens when you're a first time buyer. You don't really know what you're getting into and even the "move-in ready" homes actually requires some work. I discovered that the contractor who had worked on my home didn't do the electrical properly. I had to rerun two rooms to get it to code. There are also things like the kitchen and bathroom, where you don't know what will actually be good.

Message 597 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@ljthomas wrote:
Yikes Fingerhut is NOT worth leaving the garden for. Glad you didn't pull the trigger.

I'm just so desperate to try and build / fix my credit so I can buy a home. I've set a goal of being ready by December 2017, and buying in Late Winter/Early Spring of 2018.. Here's hoping.. I'll be 28... ugh.. I'm gettin old. 

I think that if you are diligent and work hard on correcting any baddies, you could be ready to buy by the end of 2016.

Message 598 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

Evening GCrs!!  Chillin like Frosty.  Smiley LOL

Message 599 of 799
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merry Christmas, garden friends. My daughter is still doing well and we are headed to Maui in the morning for a wonderful eleven days. May the Season bring you happiness and love and financial well-being.

Message 600 of 799
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.