Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club - February 2016

tag
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Garden Club - February 2016

Now here is a thread I haven't visited in a long time! Glad to see it is going on strong!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 301 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just realized that in two days I will have been in the garden for 9 months! No app urges. Still working on keeping spend low and increasing my savings. Preparing to buy a house in the next few years, and unlike Dave Ramsey, I want a TOP score for the mortgage app!

Message 302 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

david ramsey is a joke.
Message 303 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
david ramsey is a joke.

I think so, too... to a certain extent. I guess he is ok for those who absolutely cannot control their spending if they have a credit card. But every time I hear him say that you should never have a card and that credit cards are "horrible products," I get angry.

Message 304 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

exactly. and he is contradictory too. he says that using plastic you spend 20% more on average (which is true) but then he says he just uses his debit card for everything..... umm ok. lol

and people ask him why not use a credit card for the free money and he says "is $400-$600 a year really worth the hassle?"
um what is the hassle lol. weirdo
Message 305 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
exactly. and he is contradictory too. he says that using plastic you spend 20% more on average (which is true) but then he says he just uses his debit card for everything..... umm ok. lol

and people ask him why not use a credit card for the free money and he says "is $400-$600 a year really worth the hassle?"
um what is the hassle lol. weirdo

Right. It is totally worth it to me.

My brother's neighbor works for Ramsey. They have a very nice home and really believe the Ramsey stuff. They held off getting married until they were individually debt free because they didn't want to enter a marriage in debt.

Message 306 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's great for learning how to budget. but you don't need to baby step your whole life. once you learn to walk you can learn to run...
Message 307 of 1,009
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Like most things, you can find some bits of good advice in his philosophies, but overall I disagree with his attitude toward credit cards. I love rewards (just bought myself $170 golf shoes with some of the rewards from my PRG) and ignoring them completely seems foolish and shortsighted. What's weird about it is how his "disciples" act like zealots about it.

Wandered into the approvals section for the first time in awhile (not recommended!) and felt a tiny bit of temptation. But still firmly tilling the soil. Got +2 on EQ today.

Message 308 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol the approvals thread is like the pastry bar to chubby people just starting a diet. you can't go in there without a small purchase or tempting it haha
Message 309 of 1,009
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed Dave R's advice when I was getting out of debt and for a few years after. I have to say  my moral was in the dumps so trying to pay off my highest interest debt, which happned to be my largest debt  seemed insermountable. Paying off my first small debt and snowballing into the next one and so on and so forth was ground breaking. Having said that, I had two problems with Dave's methods. He seems to blaim the credit cards for my issue and did not force me to educate and or take responsiblity.  His answer is simply to abstain like a drug rather than learning moderation like one has to do with food.  2nd nearly 6 years later, although I had clean reports once everything fell off, I had the credit file of an 18 year old. It is nearly impossible for me to buy a home in  the area I live and work in without credit.  So, I agree what everyone has already said. His ideas are good to learn, but I don't believe it's at all sustainable. 

Message 310 of 1,009
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.