-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Garden Club Meeting - August 2014

@coldnmn wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I am curious about Discover's checking account? Does anybody have one? Might get one since I got an mailer about it and says I can get $50 for opening it. Since I do earn interest on it is it worth it just to open leave like $25 and leave it alone ?

Well getting interest on 25 dollars is very minimal so i don't know. Why wouldn't you want to use it as your main checking account. 

Well You need $25 to open and then you'll get $50 in CB. It is Free with no fees and interest where I got 0% interest on my chase checking account. I might just dump some money in it and let it grow 

Do you know how ATM withdrawls work?

Free withdrawals through ATMs through Allpoint and MoneyPass networks with the debit card.

Are those widespread networks? I'm not familiar...

Message 2151 of 2,931
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I am curious about Discover's checking account? Does anybody have one? Might get one since I got an mailer about it and says I can get $50 for opening it. Since I do earn interest on it is it worth it just to open leave like $25 and leave it alone ?

Well getting interest on 25 dollars is very minimal so i don't know. Why wouldn't you want to use it as your main checking account. 

Well You need $25 to open and then you'll get $50 in CB. It is Free with no fees and interest where I got 0% interest on my chase checking account. I might just dump some money in it and let it grow 

Those ATM network you find in Mcdonalds and such. Personally Idc since this money would be just sitting there since I will be doing my banking with Chase still. I was just curious if people use it though at all. Easy way for me to earn interest even if it is a little 

I think its the same atm network that CU use ? They are the ones in all the cvs and walgreens 

IDk but the CVS near me all use Standar or whatever it is called 

oh really the closest atm for me is walgreens and cvs they are an lot closer then chase or citi are lol

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2152 of 2,931
JoMellow
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

who do you have your roth with ? I am the most plain and vanilla guy when it comes to funds for my roth IRA, I actually have mine iwth vanguard now, and its just plain vanilla VTTSX. I was contemplating this week buying some apple stock since its split 7 times earlier in the year. Its reasonably priced now. I decided to just put more into roth ira and some into my taxable brokerage account. 

reply: my Roth is currently with my Credit Union - but, once our refi is done I am moving over to that bank; the banker we have their has been so awesome to work with and there really is no reason for us to stay at the Credit Union, we have no credit products through them and it would be easier to have everything at one bank.  I have to max my Roth out in the next few months, but most of the inheritance money I'm getting will drop into it.

well yes maxing out roth is an very good idea, you have to think about what you want to use roth ira for , you want mutual funds, etfs, cds, savings account or stocks. I like vanguard personally because they are cheapest and have lowest fees. I think fidelity vanguard or charles schwab are all decent. 

Honestly - my only goal is to pay off my house (10 years) and retire to the Caribbean (20 years). 

well you need money to retire in carribbean, even if the cost of living is less down there. I would at least try to max roth every year, and contribute to 401k up to employer match. If you aren't doing the employer match its almost like throwing money away imo. 

Jo are you an expert on the carribbean? i was thinking of doing an trip down there in maybe feb with some of these points i accumulated. Wondering any places you would suggest? I was leaning toward Grand Cayman or Us virgin islands thoughts?

No, not an expert in the Caribbean.  We have travelled some down there (hubby way more than I have) and we actually met in the Bahamas.  I'm not a huge fan of Grand Cayman (for living) but they do have some really super resorts (the all inclusive deals can be really amazing).  Love the Virgin Islands - I'm more fond of St Maarten - hubby is in loveeeee with St. Thomas.  Almost any island you go to can be a lovely, relaxing, and sight-worthy vacation.  It mostly depends on what you like to do. Activities vs sightseeing vs vegging... you can't really go wrong though,.

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 2153 of 2,931
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Free withdrawals through ATMs through Allpoint and MoneyPass networks with the debit card.

i believe there are an total of 50,000 of those atms in the US. 

Message 2154 of 2,931
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

who do you have your roth with ? I am the most plain and vanilla guy when it comes to funds for my roth IRA, I actually have mine iwth vanguard now, and its just plain vanilla VTTSX. I was contemplating this week buying some apple stock since its split 7 times earlier in the year. Its reasonably priced now. I decided to just put more into roth ira and some into my taxable brokerage account. 

reply: my Roth is currently with my Credit Union - but, once our refi is done I am moving over to that bank; the banker we have their has been so awesome to work with and there really is no reason for us to stay at the Credit Union, we have no credit products through them and it would be easier to have everything at one bank.  I have to max my Roth out in the next few months, but most of the inheritance money I'm getting will drop into it.

well yes maxing out roth is an very good idea, you have to think about what you want to use roth ira for , you want mutual funds, etfs, cds, savings account or stocks. I like vanguard personally because they are cheapest and have lowest fees. I think fidelity vanguard or charles schwab are all decent. 

Honestly - my only goal is to pay off my house (10 years) and retire to the Caribbean (20 years). 

well you need money to retire in carribbean, even if the cost of living is less down there. I would at least try to max roth every year, and contribute to 401k up to employer match. If you aren't doing the employer match its almost like throwing money away imo. 

Jo are you an expert on the carribbean? i was thinking of doing an trip down there in maybe feb with some of these points i accumulated. Wondering any places you would suggest? I was leaning toward Grand Cayman or Us virgin islands thoughts?

No, not an expert in the Caribbean.  We have travelled some down there (hubby way more than I have) and we actually met in the Bahamas.  I'm not a huge fan of Grand Cayman (for living) but they do have some really super resorts (the all inclusive deals can be really amazing).  Love the Virgin Islands - I'm more fond of St Maarten - hubby is in loveeeee with St. Thomas.  Almost any island you go to can be a lovely, relaxing, and sight-worthy vacation.  It mostly depends on what you like to do. Activities vs sightseeing vs vegging... you can't really go wrong though,.

Well the problem I have found with carribbean is that they don't seem to have any hyatts down there, so i can't convert my UR points for hotel stays thats quite the bummer. I just want to hang out at the beach get an tan, maybe play some golf but thats about it 

Message 2155 of 2,931
JoMellow
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

Well the problem I have found with carribbean is that they don't seem to have any hyatts down there, so i can't convert my UR points for hotel stays thats quite the bummer. I just want to hang out at the beach get an tan, maybe play some golf but thats about it 

Well - then, book a free flight or package deal with UR points.... easy schmeasy. Smiley Happy

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 2156 of 2,931
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:

Well - then, book a free flight or package deal with UR points.... easy schmeasy. Smiley Happy

I need to stay somwhere tho i don't think they owuld just let me sleep on the beach lol. doing package deal i think would not be effecient use of my points :-)

Message 2157 of 2,931
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I don't know. I usually get cash over at Walmart or Sam's club. It says 60k ATMs a $50 bonus and 10 cent per transaction ,bonus on up to 100 debit purchases per month.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2158 of 2,931
zan987
New Contributor

I am getting shakes but I am hanging in there! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2159 of 2,931
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@zan987 wrote:

I am getting shakes but I am hanging in there! Smiley Happy

Smiley Wink Hang in there you can do it!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2160 of 2,931
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.