Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - December 2012

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Garden Club Meeting - December 2012

@flowfaster. What are your high spend catagories? Where do you shop?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 201 of 297
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

See that's the thing I have all my major categories covered I think.

Grocery=BCP

Gas=Freedom/Discover/BCP

Restaurant=Cash+/Discover/Freedom

everything else=BoA TR 1.5/Cap one 1.5 cash rewards

No FTF/chip=BoA TR

Bill pay=CASH+ Smiley Happy

So I really don't think an Amex would help me in that respect.   I would just get it for the Sync deals, sign up bonus and to calm the itch.  lol, first world problems I guess.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 202 of 297
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What is your original member since date? Would you be backdated?
FICO 9:

Message 203 of 297
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

See that's the thing I have all my major categories covered I think.

Grocery=BCP

Gas=Freedom/Discover/BCP

Restaurant=Cash+/Discover/Freedom

everything else=BoA TR 1.5/Cap one 1.5 cash rewards

No FTF/chip=BoA TR

Bill pay=CASH+ Smiley Happy

So I really don't think an Amex would help me in that respect.   I would just get it for the Sync deals, sign up bonus and to calm the itch.  lol, first world problems I guess.

Apologies for butting in, but I'm also in a situation where most of my categories are covered.

Do you spend very much time in hotels? I'm looking at the AMEX Hilton HHonors. There is no AF, and it gives bonuses for Hilton stays, groceries (when you reach $6,000 on the BCP), drugstores (which I like), gas (when you reach your cap on other cards), and phone bills. There is also the SPG if you think you can make up the annual fee.

Also, if you got a devoted restaurant card (Citi Forward, CSP (bonuses for already having Freedom), etc.), you could switch that Cash+ category to something else (assuming you would use one of the other categories).

I'm definitely of the mindset that if you are in a position to apply for things and have the desire, you might as well do so responsibly.  Happy apping!

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 204 of 297
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Hey Thanks for your reply both of you!  Member since date is only Jan 2012.

Unfortunately I do not travel that much(family of 4+young kids) .  We travel maybe twice a year and only stay in a hotel about once a year.  We usually just stay with family.  But I if can earn reward hotel points I would definitely use hotels more.  I just was always looking for cash back.  I will have to look into if a hotel card would work for me.  I am going to Mexico for two weeks in May but again, I am staying at a family members time share for free.  Yes, I know I am cheap. 

So what do you suggest for a cheap/no AF hotel Amex card that I start looking at to get out of the house more? lol  Also if I get the citi Forward card I could switch the Cash+ to hotel or airfair.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 205 of 297
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

Hey Thanks for your reply both of you!  Member since date is only Jan 2012.

Unfortunately I do not travel that much(family of 4+young kids) .  We travel maybe twice a year and only stay in a hotel about once a year.  We usually just stay with family.  But I if can earn reward hotel points I would definitely use hotels more.  I just was always looking for cash back.  I will have to look into if a hotel card would work for me.  I am going to Mexico for two weeks in May but again, I am staying at a family members time share for free.  Yes, I know I am cheap. 

So what do you suggest for a cheap/no AF hotel Amex card that I start looking at to get out of the house more? lol  Also if I get the citi Forward card I could switch the Cash+ to hotel or airfair.

For cards issued by AMEX, it looks like you have a few options:

No AF

• Blue Sky- 1.33% cash back on all purchases, redeem for credits on travel expenses (including hotels and airfaire), not too exciting
  • Hilton HHonors- 6 points/$ for previously mentioned bonus categories and 3 point for everything else (points valued at $0.005 each), complimentary Sliver status, redeem for stays at Hilton hotels
  • Costco TrueEarnings (no AF with Costco membership)- 3% cash back on gas, 2% on travel expenses (including hotels and airfaire) and 1% on everything else, rewards in the form of a Costco reward coupon

AF

• Blue Sky Preferred ($75)- 2.66% cash back on airfare and hotels and 1.33% on everthing else. $100 yearly airline allowance (for checked luggage, airplane food, etc.), redeem for statement credits
  • Hilton HHonors Reserve ($75)- 12 points/$ on Hilton purchases, 6 pts/$ on other bonus categories, 3 pts. on everything else, complimentary Gold status, redeem for Hilton stays
  • Starwood Preferred Guest ($0 first year, then $65)- 5 Starpoints for Starwood purchases and 1 Starpoint on everything else (Starpoints valued at $0.023 each), Preferred Guest program membership, redeem for Starwood stays or flights on partner airlines.

There are also various sign-up bonuses I didn't mention. If you don't travel too often and want no AF, I would recommend either the Costco TE or the HHonors. The TE is good if you already have a Costco membership, would use the Costco reward cash (probably not usable at other places), and want the freedom to book anywhere. The Hilton is good if you want extra points on everyday purchases and know you will stay at (usually more expensive, higher quality) Hilton brand hotels.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 206 of 297
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for Hilton hhonors. Oh well... still gardening until then. Amex softed me on 11/28. Should I go back and see what my report looked like back then? My util% has been wacky due to some large charges and large payoffs.
FICO 9:

Message 207 of 297
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

even though i wasnt really gardening, 

auto cli from freedom 500 to 1k, today 

same day my 5k card reported. 

i think this is a good chance ill get my cli next time i ask them after a year with the card. as long as everything stays copasetic lol

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 208 of 297
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Hi everyone,

The Zen Gardener is back! Was out of the garden for a long time, but always for good reasons -- refinanced home mortgage from 4.5 down to 3.1%, got CLI from Chase. Life is good, and am ready to get back to the garden. May try Capital One Venture at some point, but not before next fall.

Happy gardening, everyone!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 209 of 297
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Its so easy to stay in the garden when you keep your mind off of it!  Had 2 personal goals this week.  All time bowling score high of 197... And ran my first 5k today with a time of 34:49.  Not too bad without any real training!

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 210 of 297
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.