Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - January 2012

tag
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - January 2012

I have been camping outside the garden compounds for 2 days, hoping to get in as early as possible.  i traveled 200 miles with my plants, and i brought some extra mulch as i usually do.  im glad to finally be in, early, for the 2012 January meeting.

I looked at my journal and out at my garden and my plants are doing quite well.  new to the garden is my USAA plant, acquired in November that has been reacting positively to credit reporting the past two months.  November and December are coming back strong, low utilization,and ready for what the next year has to offer.  will be a heatlhy plant, with $11,000 maximum growth allowed.

As usual, my other plants are growing slow, but steady.  although they may not offer maximum growth like my usaa plant, they offer age and wisdom to the garden.  My orchard and BestBuy mastercards are close to 2 years, and they are the seniors of my garden.  they max out at $700 and $400 repectivly.  i dont think i can get more out of them, but they are my oldest so i keep them around to share that age old experience.

2012, will be great.

At some point i have to leave the garden, unfortunately,  and go on vacation.  While on vacation my goal is to finally get the Amex Gold plant into my garden.  i will be out of the garden for a month until i make that move.  i might also bring back other hybrid plants such as the Penfed Amex, BofA Amex or the Chase Freedom.

all in all looking forward to 2012, i know it will be wonderful.  i have my gloves, my seeds and tons of patience.

by the way if anyone sees LS, please be sure to take all those applications hidden under the jacket.  yes dont be fooled, LS sneaks off into the dungeon every so often and comes back with secret applications under the jacket, boots, and hidden in his backpack.  LS wants an amex plant too, but we need to stick together and party in the garden until the right time.

happy new year!!

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 11 of 1,065
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I fell off the gardening wagon hard this past year. I added a lot of cards. I was hoping to get a Penfed card but denied. That was the last card I had interest in. But on the other side I have the USAA Cash Reward AMEX that I got approved for.

I was pretty disappointed by PSECU but I will try them again in late 2013. BOA for me is in two years.

I was looking at lowes but after doing some reading online about this card, it made me shy away from it. The outrageous APR's 24.99% i beleive and how people get CLD or even their accounts closed for less than a year of inactviity, I will stay away from it.

I think 2012 for me will be about CLI's specially those companies that do soft pulls; AMEX, GE. I have to apply for a mortgage in 2013 so I will stay away from any app in 2012; I have gotten the cards that I wanted. Now if I can get my AMEX BCE at 10k or more, I'd be more than happy. I will rotate my card usage evey 2 months so as to prevent possible CLD's. So I went from 3 cards (2 cap ones and 1 BBRZMC) to 8 ( I closed one of the Cap one that was stuck at $500 with a $60 AF). I will also close the BBRZMC before the AF hits (stuck at $300 with AF of $59 since 2008).

congrats on the usaa cash rewards amex.  i steal some of the leaves and sprinkle it all over my garden hoping for good luck.  LMAO, shame i know.  cant help myself

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 12 of 1,065
lithium78
Established Contributor

I have successfully remained in the garden since July.  In December, Walmart increased the limit on my store card from $875 to $1500 with a soft pull.  I successfully resisted the urge to app for an Amex green card when a prescreening came in the mail.  My goal is to remain app-less at least until the Spring.  I want to get my scores up higher to apply for a mortgage in 2013.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 1,065
Smug
Established Contributor

Starting a day early. No apps for a year... And only soft CLI's!
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 14 of 1,065
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'm committed to gardening a while. Looking for a mortgage pre-approval and don't need any new inquiries.

I want the Amex BCP, though. Timing and utilization aren't right.Smiley Frustrated

Current cards: Amex Delta, Chase Freedom, Citi Cash Rewards, Citi Diamond Preferred, USAA Cash Returns Amex, & USAA Platinum Mastercard.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 1,065
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Greetings fellow gardeners.   It just occurred to me that I have actually been in “garden mode” for the past year since I have not applied for any new credit since I opened a Bill Me Later account in December 2010.  Prior to that, my last “app” was for an installment loan in December 2009 with Alaska USA CU to buy my son a new dirt bike for xmas.

Ah, I’m starting to see a pattern here – app’ing once a year in December.  However, it seems I have broken that pattern since it is the last day of December 2011 and I am not going to apply for any new credit today (fingers crossed!). 

Not that there isn’t something that I would like to apply for – oh there most certainly is.  I have been pondering the AmEx BCP.  Am also contemplating a new auto loan this spring.  My son will be turning 16 next fall and will surely want a car.  My car (2000 Toyota Avalon XLS) is paid for and was thinking of buying a new car and passing the Avalon to him (or selling it and using the money to buy a car for my son).

But for now, I will continue to wear my gloves and polish my tools.  Smiley LOL

My Crop:

CREDIT CARD DESCRIPTIONCREDIT LINEACCT ESTABLISHED
AmEx GoldNPSL1989
AmEx Optima Platinum$4,100.001989
Chase Slate Visa$5,000.001990
Discover$5,000.001991
BofA Visa$10,100.001994
Sears$500.001994
Citi Visa$2,000.001994
Home Depot$2,000.001995
Capital One Platinum$1,300.002004
Bill Me Later$2,255.00

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 16 of 1,065
Anonymous
Not applicable

New member here! First month in the garden - hopefully I will become a seasoned and successful gardener Smiley Happy

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - $3000

Chase BP Visa - $4600

Citi Forward - $4000 (new approval)

Chase Freedom - $3000 (new approval)

Planted within a year of each other so they can grow together!

Message 17 of 1,065
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Hello, fellow credit gardeners! Even though the new month/year doesn't officially start until tomorrow, I'm honoring a request to begin convening January's meeting today. A lot of new members have joined us recently, so if this is your first time or you have not done so previously, please feel free to pick up your complimentary watering can and gardening gloves at the table by the front door -- you are even free to choose your favorite color! Also, in honor of the new year, there is a supply of complimentary champagne / sparkling grape juice / ginger ale available at the snack table. Let's all raise a toast to a successful year as we embark upon or continue  our gardening efforts!

So, what is gardening? In my view, it involves refraining from apping for any new credit or HPs for CLIs, with the goal being for existing accounts to age and gain history while waiting for the effects of inqs and possibly baddies to drop off. The act of gardening concerns itself with maintaining one's current crop of cards in good shape rather than seeking new ones. This does not, however, mean that one will never apply for additional cards. But, instead of jumping on the card offer du jour, one plans on apps mindfully and awaits the time when it is most favorable to add new cards. This keeps an individual from being stuck in a perpetual state of credit limbo due to racking up an excessive number of inqs that never quite seems to diminish. Instead, new accounts are allowed to age, inqs drop off, possibly CLs are increased automatically or due to soft pulls, and thus the "soil" becomes more receptive to additional cards in the future.

So, why the Garden Club? Well, let's face it -- compared to being approved for new cards, gardening is kind of boring. No waiting and holding your breath when you hit the "Apply" button, no jumping up and down from the approval and possibly excitement at seeing the credit line offered, no checking the mail in anticipation of the new card's arrival. This thread is a place where those of us who are in the gardening phase can share our stories, post news about auto or soft CLIs, and in general encourage each other in our gardening efforts. If these statements resonate with you, then you are most welcome to join the club! And bear in mind that if you reach a point where it makes sense for you to add a new card, you are always welcome to come back into the garden and focus on allowing the new account -- your "seedling" -- to age.

I've been doing a good job of holding off on any apping. I've had Wells Fargo tempting me by dangling a prequalification offer for a cash back card in front of me. Since I bank with them, it's there on the web portal every time I log in to check on my checking/savings accounts. This card happens to be on my wish list; I'd like to use it for overdraft protection instead of my savings. But, I'm still waiting for a couple of baddies to drop off, and I believe that even though I've been a very good customer for many years (Wachovia before they were WF, SouthTrust before that, and even further back), I think that the soil in my garden will be more "fertile" if I hold off a few more months. The offer is good through Jan 3, so the temptation should fade. Of course, they may make me a new offer shortly after that, but I'll simply take it as a good sign that I'm becoming more and more creditworthy over time! Smiley Wink

For those who are new, please allow me to share my current crop of cards:

Cap1 Visa Platinum - 6400 CL

Cap1 NHCR MC - 750 CL

Dillard's Amex - 4200 CL

JC Penney - 1800 CL

Kay Jewelers - 5100 CL

Amex Green - NPSL

So, how is everyone else doing? Please feel free to grab some refreshment, pull up a chair, and share your experiences!

I'm here until July when I'm off my Barclay's probation and can get my new shiny AMEX!!

Current Cards:

Barclay's Apple Financing Visa $1,000CL

Cap1 NHC $750CL

CreditOne $400CL (Axe on 6/1/12)

1st Premier $300CL (Axe on 4/1/12)

HH Bank $300CL

GEMB JCP $150CL (On ice til some luv is given)

GEMB Old Navy $300CL

GEMB Walmart $600CL

GEMB CareCredit $500CL

Best Buy Store $750CL

Firestone $1,200CL

Fingerhut $650CL (Axe on 4/1/12)

Looking forward on pruning some of these deadweight cards by July. I got my tools and my booze and my cot, i'm chillin' next to my garden!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 1,065
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Hello, fellow credit gardeners! Even though the new month/year doesn't officially start until tomorrow, I'm honoring a request to begin convening January's meeting today. A lot of new members have joined us recently, so if this is your first time or you have not done so previously, please feel free to pick up your complimentary watering can and gardening gloves at the table by the front door -- you are even free to choose your favorite color! Also, in honor of the new year, there is a supply of complimentary champagne / sparkling grape juice / ginger ale available at the snack table. Let's all raise a toast to a successful year as we embark upon or continue  our gardening efforts!

So, what is gardening? In my view, it involves refraining from apping for any new credit or HPs for CLIs, with the goal being for existing accounts to age and gain history while waiting for the effects of inqs and possibly baddies to drop off. The act of gardening concerns itself with maintaining one's current crop of cards in good shape rather than seeking new ones. This does not, however, mean that one will never apply for additional cards. But, instead of jumping on the card offer du jour, one plans on apps mindfully and awaits the time when it is most favorable to add new cards. This keeps an individual from being stuck in a perpetual state of credit limbo due to racking up an excessive number of inqs that never quite seems to diminish. Instead, new accounts are allowed to age, inqs drop off, possibly CLs are increased automatically or due to soft pulls, and thus the "soil" becomes more receptive to additional cards in the future.

So, why the Garden Club? Well, let's face it -- compared to being approved for new cards, gardening is kind of boring. No waiting and holding your breath when you hit the "Apply" button, no jumping up and down from the approval and possibly excitement at seeing the credit line offered, no checking the mail in anticipation of the new card's arrival. This thread is a place where those of us who are in the gardening phase can share our stories, post news about auto or soft CLIs, and in general encourage each other in our gardening efforts. If these statements resonate with you, then you are most welcome to join the club! And bear in mind that if you reach a point where it makes sense for you to add a new card, you are always welcome to come back into the garden and focus on allowing the new account -- your "seedling" -- to age.

I've been doing a good job of holding off on any apping. I've had Wells Fargo tempting me by dangling a prequalification offer for a cash back card in front of me. Since I bank with them, it's there on the web portal every time I log in to check on my checking/savings accounts. This card happens to be on my wish list; I'd like to use it for overdraft protection instead of my savings. But, I'm still waiting for a couple of baddies to drop off, and I believe that even though I've been a very good customer for many years (Wachovia before they were WF, SouthTrust before that, and even further back), I think that the soil in my garden will be more "fertile" if I hold off a few more months. The offer is good through Jan 3, so the temptation should fade. Of course, they may make me a new offer shortly after that, but I'll simply take it as a good sign that I'm becoming more and more creditworthy over time! Smiley Wink

Cap1 NHCR MC - 750 CL

Dillard's Amex - 4200 CL

JC Penney - 1800 CL

Kay Jewelers - 5100 CL

Amex Green - NPSL

So, how is everyone else doing? Please feel free to grab some refreshment, pull up a chair, and share your experiences!

I'm here until July when I'm off my Barclay's probation and can get my new shiny AMEX!!

Current Cards:

Cap1 NHC $750CL

HH Bank $300CL

GEMB Old Navy $300CL

GEMB Walmart $600CL

GEMB CareCredit $500CL

Best Buy Store $750CL

Firestone $1,200CL

Looking forward on pruning some of these deadweight cards by July. I got my tools and my booze and my cot, i'm chillin' next to my garden!

Nice set of cards, GEMB love you long time Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 1,065
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Cap1 NHCR MC - 750 CL

Dillard's Amex - 4200 CL

JC Penney - 1800 CL

Kay Jewelers - 5100 CL

Amex Green - NPSL

Current Cards:

Cap1 NHC $750CL

HH Bank $300CL

GEMB Old Navy $300CL

GEMB Walmart $600CL

GEMB CareCredit $500CL

Best Buy Store $750CL

Firestone $1,200CL

Nice set of cards, GEMB love you long time Smiley Happy

Well the JCP card is frozen solid in my freezer until I get some luv! I'm not gonna hit the luv button on the others until my util& is down and I age my INQ's a little.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 1,065
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.