@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Welcome To The Gardens Friday Night Social Event

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Respect Everyone's Opinion

Drink responsibly in the virtual world as well as in the real world

Have fun

Any Friday is : Open Forum ....answer a question or ask a question.

If you're new to the garden and would like to know something about the garden or have questions please ask.

If we can't answer it we will point you in the right direction.

The forum has made all of us aware of cards, how and when to use to maximize benefits or just to build credit. So my question is.

How do you know when it's time to stop using cards and use cash and debit instead?

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

Non alcoholic drinks available

Don't see what you want ask your server

That is a really  good question. I never had a rewards card until I found this forum and got my Cap One card converted. I tend to now use it for everything and I hate when I have a bill or something where I have to pay with my checking account only. This month, as I've mentioned, I've over spent on my credit cards in a big and sort of un-anticipated way.

At this point, it is probably best for me to use my debit card because I can not pif my cash back card this month and probably not next month either... so now I'm carrying a balance on high interest cards.... so that is my reason for why it's best for all of my further purchases to go on my debit card. I'm not "making" money for the  next 2-3 months but losing it to interest... and any thing that I add to it is only going to make the situation worse.

You made my day this is a very good answer

I made your day by saying that I spent more than I can possibly PIF in a month or two, and perhaps will take THREE whole months? lol?

No because you when to stop and regroup and I'm proud of that Smiley Wink

lol Sadly I learned the hard way.,

I'm not one to suggest that a lot should be taught in school. I firmly believe that many, many things should be learned at home. Kids are only in school for so many hours a day and yet parents have their kids much more than a teacher does.

That being said- I seriously and whole heartedly wish that finances were taught in school. Not economics and stock markets but real world finance. Credit, checking, savings,  etc. Many families have no clue, or teach bad habits.. or live in poverty... many many things.. but why are these things not included in education frequently, prominently and early? How many times are kids encouraged to go to college, but even something such as student loans are never discussed?

I wish I had just a day to spend with myself 20 years ago.

I so agree with you start kids off in the right direction

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Have fun

If you're new to the garden and would like to know something about the garden or have questions please ask.

The forum has made all of us aware of cards, how and when to use to maximize benefits or just to build credit. So my question is.

How do you know when it's time to stop using cards and use cash and debit instead?

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

That is a really  good question. I never had a rewards card until I found this forum and got my Cap One card converted. I tend to now use it for everything and I hate when I have a bill or something where I have to pay with my checking account only. This month, as I've mentioned, I've over spent on my credit cards in a big and sort of un-anticipated way.

At this point, it is probably best for me to use my debit card because I can not pif my cash back card this month and probably not next month either... so now I'm carrying a balance on high interest cards.... so that is my reason for why it's best for all of my further purchases to go on my debit card. I'm not "making" money for the  next 2-3 months but losing it to interest... and any thing that I add to it is only going to make the situation worse.

I made your day by saying that I spent more than I can possibly PIF in a month or two, and perhaps will take THREE whole months? lol?

I'm not one to suggest that a lot should be taught in school. I firmly believe that many, many things should be learned at home. Kids are only in school for so many hours a day and yet parents have their kids much more than a teacher does.

That being said- I seriously and whole heartedly wish that finances were taught in school. Not economics and stock markets but real world finance. Credit, checking, savings,  etc. Many families have no clue, or teach bad habits.. or live in poverty... many many things.. but why are these things not included in education frequently, prominently and early? How many times are kids encouraged to go to college, but even something such as student loans are never discussed?

In my district personal finance/money management is a required for high school graduation.  It was added a few years back.

Message 7931 of 8,129
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - January 2014

@DaniBananiie wrote:

Smiley Happy Hey all!

Hey Dani---

How are you, and how is MJ's client?

Message 7932 of 8,129
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

I'll change it once my toddler finishes watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my MacBook Pro
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 7933 of 8,129
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Have fun

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

Hi Everyone!

Happy Friday!

It's been another long hard week at work but now I am ready to kick back and relax!

It's day 23 in the garden for me and I am holding on!

The wings look DA-LISH!  I think I will have a few of those with some ranch dressing and wash them down with an ice cold Yuengling Light!

To answer tonight's question, I guess you should use cash and debit cards if there is no reward and/or benefit to you for using your credit card.  You should also use cash and debit cards if using a credit card causes you to pay interest on a purchase.

Looking forward to a lovely evening in the garden tonight!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7934 of 8,129
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

Focused: Hey! We're doing fine. Thanks for asking!
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 7935 of 8,129
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Have fun

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Have fun

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

In my district personal finance/money management is a required for high school graduation.  It was added a few years back.

Wow. Not here, but I wish it were. Again, I hate throwing more on over worked teachers and curriculums but when it comes to credit / finance... I feel differently. Some parents just CAN'T teach this.

When I graduated, and I believe this is still the case, students HAD to take a half year of economics which included the stock markets and other things like that... nothing practical for the real world. (I realize stock markets are practical and real world enough, but not like basic things such as savings, CDs, Checking, credit, etc)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7936 of 8,129
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

I'd like a nice smooth tequila.  And some passion fruit juice.   Mmmm.

I think in an ideal world, if you had cards with good rewards and good CLs, you'd always use a CC, as long as it is an accepted form of payment, but would always PIF.

As for me, I've recently retrained myself to a PIF model and it'll help out a lot!   I use debit frequently, as my only rewards card has a dinky $650 CL and I spend more than that in a month.  I have some recurring charges that go on the rewards card, but I have other cards that I like to keep used.  JCP might actually be my most used CC, mainly because I think it's novel I can use it at CVS and Rite Aid, and I shop at both of those stores a lot. 

I think if your CC debt becomes more than you could pay off in a reasonable amount of time, your spending is out of hand and CCs should't be used until they're paid off. 

You can always pay your CC a couple times a month to stay under the CL. This way you can put your purchases on it and earn those points.

Totally agree with your final point.

Message 7937 of 8,129
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

On behalf of the GC club

Garden rules apply

No Drapping Allowed

Have fun

Tonight's Menu

Buffalo wing platters 

Drink Menu

Wine and Beer

Hi Everyone!

Happy Friday!

It's been another long hard week at work but now I am ready to kick back and relax!

It's day 23 in the garden for me and I am holding on!

The wings look DA-LISH!  I think I will have a few of those with some ranch dressing and wash them down with an ice cold Yuengling Light!

To answer tonight's question, I guess you should use cash and debit cards if there is no reward and/or benefit to you for using your credit card.  You should also use cash and debit cards if using a credit card causes you to pay interest on a purchase.

Looking forward to a lovely evening in the garden tonight!

HI there!!! One week (or so) to go for that spade!!! Good work!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7938 of 8,129
myjourney
Super Contributor

@DaniBananiie wrote:
I'll change it once my toddler finishes watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my MacBook Pro

5-4-3-2-1-0 Liftoff to Bronze 

Congrats Dani 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7939 of 8,129
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@DaniBananiie wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@DaniBananiie wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@DaniBananiie wrote:

Smiley Happy Hey all!

Hey Dani 

Welcome to the Friday Night Social

Hey MJ.

I need you to answer tonight's question Smiley Wink

And how's my client? Lol

"How do you know when it's time to stop using cards and use cash and debit instead?"

Hmmm...my answer would be when you're over your head in credit or when you cannot controling your spending via credit cards. Like for example, I know if I bring my Discover card to The Limited, I won't spend what i budget myself to spend. If I only bring let's say $100, I'll only spend $100. I actually do stuff like this for Christmas if I hve to physically go to a store to buy gifts. In some cases when people cannot stick to a budget via credit, it's best to carry cash.  

It's good you know how to restrain yourself.  Do whatever works best for you.

Message 7940 of 8,129
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.