Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - July 2012

tag
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - July 2012

@webhopper wrote:

One more day and then my funds will be available to pay off my balances Smiley Happy

That is just awesome. It is such a great feeling when everything is PIF!

Congrats -

For some reason I don't feel so great about it... I'm basically just borrowing money from my savings to pay it off, and I'll have to replace that money. but basically, by doing this instead of waiting, I save two months worth of interest on the house that I want to refinance, two months worth of interest at the lower rate equals about $850 in interest savings on the mortgage.  I couldn't have gotten that good of a return if I had left the money invested....  that's over a 10% return on investment from the money I borrowed from my savings.   Also, when the DJIA spiked around July 4, I felt as though I would be getting out on a high note, and that when I reinvested the money, I'd be buying in at a lower price per share than I took out.  

I'd feel better about paying off the balances if I hadn't raided my investments, but ultimately I crunched the numbers its the smarter path to take.   I'm really very emotionally attached to my investments, especially after being so poor for so long and barely having enough to feed me and my daughter.   I wish I could be detached and just look at it from the $$ sign perspective.   It makes me sad to cash out, even though I know I'll be cashing back in shortly.

Wrong perspective...think about where you are now in contrast to those days when you could barely feed yourself or your daughter. Today you have options! And your options are allowing you to make decisions that serve your best needs long term! Trust me, I understand how you feel, but don't stay in that place, be thankful for how far you've come!

*steps down from soapbox*

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 251 of 450
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wrong perspective...think about where you are now in contrast to those days when you could barely feed yourself or your daughter. Today you have options! And your options are allowing you to make decisions that serve your best needs long term! Trust me, I understand how you feel, but don't stay in that place, be thankful for how far you've come!

Maybe I'm just feeling a little insecure because there have been so many changes this year...  I now have 4 major CCs instead of 1.  I have two mortgages instead of 1. I'm married now, so there are two incomes instead of one...  Life just goes by so fast and I feel like my mind is still catching up.  On the one hand I'm in awe of how far I've come and how much this board has helped me, but on the other hand, all of the change is a little scary and a little much to take in. Change is a part of life and I know that.  I'm thankful for all of the many blessings that have happened in my life.  I know everything is going to be great, but my mind is telling me to be very cautiously optomistic and to prepare for things not to work out the way I want them.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 252 of 450
journey258
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Maybe I'm just feeling a little insecure because there have been so many changes this year...  I now have 4 major CCs instead of 1.  I have two mortgages instead of 1. I'm married now, so there are two incomes instead of one...  Life just goes by so fast and I feel like my mind is still catching up.  On the one hand I'm in awe of how far I've come and how much this board has helped me, but on the other hand, all of the change is a little scary and a little much to take in. Change is a part of life and I know that.  I'm thankful for all of the many blessings that have happened in my life.  I know everything is going to be great, but my mind is telling me to be very cautiously optomistic and to prepare for things not to work out the way I want them.

Yes, change is scary. Especially lots of change in a short time. But you're doing great. Big cyber hug!!!! 

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 253 of 450
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks I needed that!

FICO 9:

Message 254 of 450
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@journey258 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Yes, change is scary. Especially lots of change in a short time. But you're doing great. Big cyber hug!!!! 

+1 !!!

You've made a lot of changes recently, but they all seem to be moving you in a positive direction. It can, indeed, be difficult moving into unfamiliar territory, even if looks promising, so your feelings are understandable. But enjoy all of the good things that have been coming your way, and know that you can face whatever it is that the future holds for you. Best wishes!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 255 of 450
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

A big thanks Smiley Happy  I really needed the encouragement, I was feeling a little teary eyed and emo.. You guys are great at providing the encouragement and support I need.  I'm really glad I'm involved here on this forum and I hope to pay it forward

FICO 9:

Message 256 of 450
Excelsior

Happy with the great progress I have been able to make building my credit thanks to these boards and checking in for a stint in the garden. I discovered the boards earlier this year with only a single 6 month old CC to my credit history (BOA Platinum Plus Student). After many hours of perusing the boards, I was able to bat 4/4 (with effective recons) on my apps this year and add the following cards: 

Discover More Student (4/12)

Citi Forward Student (4/12)

Amex BSP (6/12)

Chase Freedom (6/12)

Since my primary goals were to establish a solid foundation for future credit, and obtain a set of cards that would let me maximize rewards/cash back, I am very happy with where I am now and have no immediate need for any more apps Smiley Happy. I may try to PC the BOA student card and ultimately will PC the BSP to a no AF card (applied for the BSP since it was the only Amex revolver I have received a pre-selection for) and at some point try for an Amex CLI. 

While I have spent most of my time browsing the boards and only recently registered, I wanted to thank everyone again for all the helpful threads and advice!

741 TU08 (4/13) 690EQ (3/13)724 EX(3/13)
Goal: 750

Amex BSP - 6k, Amex BCE - 2k, Amex Delta Skymiles Gold - 2k, Amex Hilton - 2k, Amex PRG - NPSL, Barclays NFL Extra Points - 0.5k, Barclays US Air - 1k, Chase MileagePlus Explorer - 5k, Chase Airtran A+ - 5.2k, Chase British Airways - 5.7k, Chase Freedom - 1.3k, Citi Forward Student - 3.5k, Citi Hilton - 4k, Discover More Student - 2.25k, BOA Travel Rewards - 1k
Message 257 of 450
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Excelsior wrote:

Happy with the great progress I have been able to make building my credit thanks to these boards and checking in for a stint in the garden. I discovered the boards earlier this year with only a single 6 month old CC to my credit history (BOA Platinum Plus Student). After many hours of perusing the boards, I was able to bat 4/4 (with effective recons) on my apps this year and add the following cards: 

Discover More Student (4/12)

Citi Forward Student (4/12)

Amex BSP (6/12)

Chase Freedom (6/12)

Since my primary goals were to establish a solid foundation for future credit, and obtain a set of cards that would let me maximize rewards/cash back, I am very happy with where I am now and have no immediate need for any more apps Smiley Happy. I may try to PC the BOA student card and ultimately will PC the BSP to a no AF card (applied for the BSP since it was the only Amex revolver I have received a pre-selection for) and at some point try for an Amex CLI. 

While I have spent most of my time browsing the boards and only recently registered, I wanted to thank everyone again for all the helpful threads and advice!

Congrats on your recent card approvals...  Good luck on wisely managing your new cards....  !!    Welcome to the Garden!

FICO 9:

Message 258 of 450
FrugalRican
Blogger

@webhopper wrote:

A big thanks Smiley Happy  I really needed the encouragement, I was feeling a little teary eyed and emo..

Easy there, MySpace.

You know you've done a great job in such a short time Smiley Happy

Keep up the good work!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 259 of 450
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

A big thanks Smiley Happy  I really needed the encouragement, I was feeling a little teary eyed and emo..

Easy there, MySpace.

You know you've done a great job in such a short time Smiley Happy

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!!!   Well, I paid off balances to 0 today Smiley Happy  I was online at 7 am checking to see if funds were available... by 7:20 AM everything was PIF except Amex Zync, which will be PIF before the statement closes next month

FICO 9:

Message 260 of 450
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.