cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - May 2013

tag
Brenex
Valued Member

Re: Im happy to report I am still in the garden. Ive been act...

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to stop by and say how happy I am to be entering the garden finally. Received a CLI from 3500 to 4600 on my Citi Forward which I have had for almost 4 years now (first credit card!) and converted my Discover More to IT on Monday. 

I was sitting on a credit karma score of 680 and was planning in letting it improve with the my new drop in utilization (it's below 25% now) but decided I would be ballsy and see what happens. I tried and was approved for Chase Freedom! 

I figure, if I could get Freedom, my chances for the others I have wanted should be pretty good. I ended up being approved for Amex BCE and Citi Dividend Platinum Select too! Citi also notified me my EXP score was 71. That was a relief compared to the 680 I thought I had. I literally can't wait to nurture these babies and let them grow. 

With the revolving categories of Discover, Citi, and Freedom, I should be set for a long time. I plan to use BCE when the others aren't "in season" and my original Citi Forward for eating out and amazon purchases. The reason being, I have student loans I need to pay back and the 5% forward gives with foods + loan rebates is pretty nice when I can't get straight cash back.

I was also thinking of adding myself as an AU to my father's AMEX he has had for 30 years. Would that be the cherry on the top of just overkill? I'm currently sitting on an average credit history length of just under 3 years.

Message 911 of 2,553
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Im happy to report I am still in the garden. Ive been act...

@DFLeiva wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to stop by and say how happy I am to be entering the garden finally. Received a CLI from 3500 to 4600 on my Citi Forward which I have had for almost 4 years now (first credit card!) and converted my Discover More to IT on Monday. 

I was sitting on a credit karma score of 680 and was planning in letting it improve with the my new drop in utilization (it's below 25% now) but decided I would be ballsy and see what happens. I tried and was approved for Chase Freedom! 

I figure, if I could get Freedom, my chances for the others I have wanted should be pretty good. I ended up being approved for Amex BCE and Citi Dividend Platinum Select too! Citi also notified me my EXP score was 71. That was a relief compared to the 680 I thought I had. I literally can't wait to nurture these babies and let them grow. 

With the revolving categories of Discover, Citi, and Freedom, I should be set for a long time. I plan to use BCE when the others aren't "in season" and my original Citi Forward for eating out and amazon purchases. The reason being, I have student loans I need to pay back and the 5% forward gives with foods + loan rebates is pretty nice when I can't get straight cash back.

I was also thinking of adding myself as an AU to my father's AMEX he has had for 30 years. Would that be the cherry on the top of just overkill? I'm currently sitting on an average credit history length of just under 3 years.

congrats and welcome to the garden.

you can join me on my journey to at least a platinum spade! 

as far as i know, if you are added as an au on an amex, your dads history wouldnt report. or is that only if you had an account and then opened a new one? (someone chime in?) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 912 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - May 2013

@6speed wrote:
Got a new TL with USAA 4/30. Gonna be gardening to let old inqs fall and hopefully watch my score go up to at least 650 by 6/1/14. ~12.5 more months in the garden; this is going to be tough!

Welcome to the garden

Gardening isn't tough you just have to spend the time and make an commitment. You can do it.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 913 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@silverzgirl wrote:

Yesterday marked my last HP for a spell, refi'ed my car for 3 percent less.

Alas, since the cards show no love, I am relegating myself to gardening until I go over 700. Of course I wonder at this stage if that will ever happen. One settled baddie, two who 1099ed me but insist on reporting the entire balance due. Paying down high ute.

I may be wearing these wellies a long time...anyone have baby powder? Smiley Frustrated

Welcome to the garden

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 914 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sarkell wrote:
I'm fighting the app urg ugh. 2 weeks awat from 60 days but seriously just need to focus on paying down cc. Ugh ill stay strong.

You can do it!

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 915 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@annebythesea wrote:

Wow. I just spent like 20 minutes last night talking about credit cards and the importance of not spending more then you can afford on a card because it will come back to bite you in the ass with my dad, who is in cc debt like crazy and has told me and my four siblings over and over again not to make the same mistakes he has made these last ten years re: credit debt because he doesn't want to see us struggling like he is.

Knowledge is power. I'm realizing that the more time I spent on these forums and the more time I talk to people about finances.

Stay strong and pass the knowledge forward

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 916 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JustJen wrote:

@JustJen wrote:

Sorry...guess I should have said those were both FICO scores; EQ from myFico and EX from AMEX.

Hi JustJen

That is interesting my EQ score for some reason has always been lower than the other 2 agencies throught history, can't explain that eitherSmiley Sad

Is it possible that your last app pulled EQ? If not I would get a copy of EQ just to be safe there's nothing else going on with that report...Just to be safe 

Second to last app pulled EQ, once the last new account showed up is when it really dropped. My EQ does have the most inquiries overall, but only 2 this year (1 from CU and 1 for new account). I don't know! I've got score watch though so I don't think anything derogatory has shown up for some reason, and actually earlier this year the last negative thing on my reports fell off of all of them. No lates since probably 2008 or 2009.

It will recover that explains the high differences in scores. Time will heal that pesty EQ score just keep gardening

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 917 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tattooedhusker wrote:

Holding strong here, i did get a $400 bump up on my Gordman's card, so that has soothed the itch a little bit

Congrats on the CLI and stay strong

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 918 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Work has been busy this week!!! I'm finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with a project I'm working on, and things are progressing well, so this is a good thing. I'm done for today, so I'd love to settle back with a glass of red rose wine.

I got my CreditSeame update today, and my EX went up a whole point, LOL!!! I know it's a FAKO, but since we can't get our EX FICOs on demand I'm happy for anything that gives me an indication of how I'm doing. And I'll take the point -- progress is progress, after all.

Still enjoying the wonderful, peaceful feel of the garden...

I too had CS update today a whole point Ha Ha Ha

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 919 of 2,553
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I'm baaaaccckkk! Feeling a lot better and I missed you guys!

Thank you for all the good wishes, ESP from myjourney, LS, parakleet, memorysketch, phillyguy12 and tinuviel .,

Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do and so proud of all who are continuing with their gardening goals/ reached their milestones!

Hey she's back welcome welcome welcome

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 920 of 2,553
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.