Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - November 2013

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Garden Club Meeting - November 2013

@yudeology101 wrote:

@ Rev-  understood, i just can't seem to catch any break from staying out of trouble.  My apologies

Ain't no big thing; no crash all good.  We once had a truly absurd thread where it was so requoted there was barely a single word per line Smiley Happy.  This one was nowhere close, it was simply an opportunity for a reminder.

        
Message 1851 of 5,680
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 1852 of 5,680
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 1853 of 5,680
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Rev

Didn't you see the thread about the $20k purchase price of a home? That 's just unreal here in So Ca!
Message 1854 of 5,680
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lexie

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 1855 of 5,680
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lexie!

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 1856 of 5,680
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

Didn't you see the thread about the $20k purchase price of a home? That just unreal here in So Ca!

I missed it.  Right now I'm seeing places I'm interested in (3/2, 1600ish square feet, yard, Redondo Beach, no water view nor near beach access, decent school district) moving north of 800k in some cases: 20K is around 1/8th of the downpayment in a 80/20 mortgage at those prices Smiley Sad.

It's starting to dig into my psyche: I have a decent job which right now I'm in a lull in without massive requirements (unlike before) with a management staff that desperately wants to keep me engaged and it plays well socially... and I'm debating just walking because I can't qualify for that mortgage on what I make here and in theory I'm in the top 14% of household incomes according to some random calculator I was playing with on CNN the other day.

It's either that or starting dating with a minimum income requirement (which is likely going to be 50k by the time I actually get my poop in a group, prices just keep moving further out of my current individual reach), or packing up and starting over somewhere else, again.  The first doesn't make me happy in terms of approaching a relationship with that sort of qualification mandated, and I'm getting too old for the second and my financial future is best here, just question is whether I get to that future at any point crossing the housing price line.  

May make sense to try to get a fixer-upper house and then trying to finance home improvements or rebuilding the whole thing later when the equity or my income has shifted.

Don't know, just seems like a problem when even the places down several tiers from the top in Los Angeles county mandate a top 10% HHI.

        
Message 1857 of 5,680
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Rev

It might be a difficult bringing up your 'dating' requirement ESP on a first date and at the rate the market is going you wouldn't have time to be picky. Smiley LOL
If you found something in Redondo Beach at that price, I would be shocked.

I always find it amusing when those income calculators tell me what I can afford. I'm sure you and I live in the real world and those figures must be for those in FantasyLand.

I remember when I was first looking for a home and a friend of mine (broker) told me to find the ugliest house in the best neighborhood. Advice, I have used often.
Message 1858 of 5,680
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

It might be a difficult bringing up your 'dating' requirement ESP on a first date and at the rate the market is going you wouldn't have time to be picky. Smiley LOL
If you found something in Redondo Beach at that price, I would be shocked.

I always find it amusing when those income calculators tell me what I can afford. I'm sure you and I live in the real world and those figures must be for those in a FantasyLand.

I remember when I was first looking for a home and a friend of mine (broker) told me to find the ugliest house in the best neighborhood. Advice, I have used often.

Yeah, though on my current expenses and income I could afford a 41% backend ratio; now that jumbo lending is making a resurgence I might be able to pull it together as neither my downpayment nor my assets are in question even if I don't want to sacrifice the market assets if I don't have to in order to come up with a loopy stupid downpayment.  Should be able to do better than that. 

I think there's a lot of wisdom in what you suggest regarding picking the worst house in the best neighborhood, and there's a lot of sense to just scraping together every penny you can and buying the best house you can get into by your fingernails.

Thinking at this point I just need to convert my current gig to a contract job and go get another one... or go get another one and not inform my current one since I can do a majority of the work from anywhere on the planet and meetings can be easily condensed into a few days a week giving the vagaries of my current employer's scheduling fo employees around our live events.

All of this at a time when the environmentalists are finally coming around to nuclear energy and I'm half tempted to re-apply for Berkeley, go finish my degree, and go do that... but that means no house, no dating, no kids: seems like failure and I should have time to do that later or during the next economic downturn... but the money is running now, guess need to go get me some.

        
Message 1859 of 5,680
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Lexie, you're in socal?  O my...if you are, you're awefully close to me! I'm in Newport area....not a good thing that if you're too close you might chase me around!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 1860 of 5,680
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.