Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - September 2012

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - September 2012

I like the spade on the left look that gardeners are starting to do.  I'm thinking about it, but would have to get rid of my EMV chip...  and I do like my chip.

About the garden though, I don't need NavCheck either, nor would I use an Amex.  I have thought about applying for a ZYNC this year just for backdating purposes later, but whats the point if I don't really plan on using the card?  I think I will do my best to pass on both... indefinately.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 61 of 398
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I put my spade on the left because when I put it on the right it was skewing the text of my signature line... and since the fico fitness challenge is kind of pointless to me at this time; my gardening goals are more important so I just replaced the fico fitness logo with my spade. I very much like how it looks. The way I see it is that if I'm a good gardener my fico goals will eventually be met or exceeded.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 62 of 398
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Dave... Why not put your chip on the right and your spade in the left. Your html coding stays the same but you swap the img src web addresses

FICO 9:

Message 63 of 398
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

I like the spade on the left look that gardeners are starting to do.  I'm thinking about it, but would have to get rid of my EMV chip...  and I do like my chip.

About the garden though, I don't need NavCheck either, nor would I use an Amex.  I have thought about applying for a ZYNC this year just for backdating purposes later, but whats the point if I don't really plan on using the card?  I think I will do my best to pass on both... indefinately.

You're way further ahead than many of the rebuilding folks who are hanging out here; as such, I think you're correct that backdating isn't quite the same benefit.  Also being stationed overseas if I recall your other posts correctly, it's really hard to do better than the BOFA and SDFCU cards you have; maybe either the JPM Palladium or Select but that's about it.  I'd be a lot happier about an upcoming likely overseas tour to the UK in my case if I'd started this journey a year earlier and had an additional positive year on my credit reports which I suspect is the likely minimum standard for the BOFA card.  I'm down to seeing if the SDFCU secured card has the same benefits as their mainline Visa with regards to no forex and the EMV/Chip combo, and there just isn't another option.

Between both future backdating in my book (may cut half a year or more out of my credit building strategy, I'm a big fan of product changing / relationship building) and the fact that the Zync is actually a pretty good card for my individual needs, I'm starting to scratch other cards off my list.  That said, life changes, and from a lender relationship perspective, it's worthwhile to get things established as soon as possible with a given lender.

Beyond that though I completely agree with you.  There's an obvious USAA approval I think in my case if I were to take it, but unless I need to float a balance again, I just can't see using it much... and that's made me get cold feet when looking at applying for it or other cards (Chase Amazon, hey there's a Zync pack for that).  Tradelines that aren't necessary from a use or a aggregate utilization or tradeline count perspective, just aren't really worthwhile and there's only so many cards I conceivably could put any reasonable level of spending through anyway.

        
Message 64 of 398
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

You're way further ahead than many of the rebuilding folks who are hanging out here; as such, I think you're correct that backdating isn't quite the same benefit.  Also being stationed overseas if I recall your other posts correctly, it's really hard to do better than the BOFA and SDFCU cards you have; maybe either the JPM Palladium or Select but that's about it.  I'd be a lot happier about an upcoming likely overseas tour to the UK in my case if I'd started this journey a year earlier and had an additional positive year on my credit reports which I suspect is the likely minimum standard for the BOFA card.  I'm down to seeing if the SDFCU secured card has the same benefits as their mainline Visa with regards to no forex and the EMV/Chip combo, and there just isn't another option.

Between both future backdating in my book (may cut half a year or more out of my credit building strategy, I'm a big fan of product changing / relationship building) and the fact that the Zync is actually a pretty good card for my individual needs, I'm starting to scratch other cards off my list.  That said, life changes, and from a lender relationship perspective, it's worthwhile to get things established as soon as possible with a given lender.

Beyond that though I completely agree with you.  There's an obvious USAA approval I think in my case if I were to take it, but unless I need to float a balance again, I just can't see using it much... and that's made me get cold feet when looking at applying for it or other cards (Chase Amazon, hey there's a Zync pack for that).  Tradelines that aren't necessary from a use or a aggregate utilization or tradeline count perspective, just aren't really worthwhile and there's only so many cards I conceivably could put any reasonable level of spending through anyway.

Agree completely. It took my husbands very dry explanation of the fact that I really don't need additional tradelines to make me realize that he is absolutely correct. I don't need more available credit. I don't need new tradelines. What I have.right now fits my needs to the tee and I explored my nfcu card and figured out that I could transfer funds from the card to my account very easily. This will take care of the bathroom work I wanted done on my rental property in the 2012 tax year. I didn't want my contractor to have to eat the cost of swipe fees. As it stands I'm building relationships with lenders who I want to continue to do business with; which will help me out in the long run Smiley Happy all is well and my mind is back to zen with my garden. Some people plant tomatoes and such. Ive always thought of my garden as a zen garden where the rake and the sand and the rocks calm your anxiety and remove your stress Smiley Happy
FICO 9:

Message 65 of 398
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

The SDFCU secured is not EMV.  DoD Community Bank offers a Sterling account, but no debit card unfortunately.  And it is a big deal to open a UK bank account off-post as a foreign national.  I tried to open an account at Royal Bank of Scotland and they told me with all the stuff that I needed (which included a letter from the commander) that I would be better off just sticking with the Community Bank on post.  Most places here will take a swipe card, but it will hold up a line of British people every time.  Most Americans here just carry cash.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 66 of 398
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

The SDFCU secured is not EMV.  DoD Community Bank offers a Sterling account, but no debit card unfortunately.  And it is a big deal to open a UK bank account off-post as a foreign national.  I tried to open an account at Royal Bank of Scotland and they told me with all the stuff that I needed (which included a letter from the commander) that I would be better off just sticking with the Community Bank on post.  Most places here will take a swipe card, but it will hold up a line of British people every time.  Most Americans here just carry cash.

Many thanks for the quality info senor.  Back to grovelling when my BOFA secured graduates.... a Hail Mary PC to go along with my Hail Mary Zync app, good times!

        
Message 67 of 398
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Anonymous... Why not put your chip on the right and your spade in the left. Your html coding stays the same but you swap the img src web addresses

Thanks, yes I know how to move the images, but the html offered for the sig blcok is limited.  I think I will try this new look for a little while though.  Thanks for the idea!

Message 68 of 398
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Agree completely. It took my husbands very dry explanation of the fact that I really don't need additional tradelines to make me realize that he is absolutely correct. I don't need more available credit. I don't need new tradelines. What I have.right now fits my needs to the tee and I explored my nfcu card and figured out that I could transfer funds from the card to my account very easily. This will take care of the bathroom work I wanted done on my rental property in the 2012 tax year. I didn't want my contractor to have to eat the cost of swipe fees. As it stands I'm building relationships with lenders who I want to continue to do business with; which will help me out in the long run Smiley Happy all is well and my mind is back to zen with my garden. Some people plant tomatoes and such. Ive always thought of my garden as a zen garden where the rake and the sand and the rocks calm your anxiety and remove your stress Smiley Happy

By the way, thank you for everyone's encouragement just to stay in the garden.  Makes me feel better about my decision not to go after anything else that I don't need.

Message 69 of 398
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I'll go for the hot dog and beer please.  It's still late summer and I am tending to the garden with ease.

No need for additional credit lines as I am truly satisfied.  I have a bit of outstanding debt, now below $7k from a high of $8500 that I want to pay off by end of winter.  My next credit request will be for an auto loan next summer so I will be tending and weeding out the miscellaneous.  I may request some additional headroom (CLIs) on a couple of cards in November.  It might be a stretch it get all my scores (including FAKO) above 800 but I will get it my best shot.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 70 of 398
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.