tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Garden Club - October 2014

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@ReIelate wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Hey Rev,

Which forum is the Garden Club going to be stickied in?

Applications.

Two main reasons for this:

1) The goal of GC when it was founded by Tinuviel: to be an oasis in the glittering sea of applications (my poorly paraphrased interpretation).  That hasn't changed, we're moving everything application-related out: GC rightly belongs with those to offer the voice of sanity; also we want to promote the goal of responsible credit management and the GC helps accomplish that so stickying it will be nothing but goodness for eyeballs: more gardeners, more better is my thinking at any rate.

2) Credit Cards over time is going to be a very different forum: namely an informational one and most of the social aspects of the community (of which GC is one) will be in Applications.  The problem is new users who get caught up in the Applications social side will never find the GC if we leave it in CC, and as such the current Garden is as good as it gets, and as the membership moves on (happens with everyone on this forum eventually) the number of members will dwindle leaving it a shell of what it is today.

I know this is a pretty substantial change, and it's pretty much human nature to be skeptical (at best) of any change; however, it needs to happen for both the good of the community and the good of the Garden Club as well when we look at it over the next year or two.

Hey I applaud you guys for trying something new. I think it's a pretty awesome idea really. Having it stickied will let users pop right in, and having it in Applications will provide the benefits you described.

I think this (the whole change, not just GC being stickied) will increase the usage of the Approvals (Applications) forums. It seemed previously that the same 20 or so people always posted in Approvals and many CC forum followers did not even enter. Sounds like this will change that in a good way.

Bravo. My .02.

The problem I see Is the reason approvals were moved to start with other things were getting lost in the pages before being viewed or getting a responds because of congratulations. Just my .02

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 1221 of 1,810
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Hello club, 

I hope all is well in the garden. Nothing new to report, I'm just stopping by to check in. Plus I wanted to get the scoop on the forum changes.  Smiley Happy 

Message 1222 of 1,810
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@coldnmn wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@ReIelate wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Hey Rev,

Which forum is the Garden Club going to be stickied in?

Applications.

Two main reasons for this:

1) The goal of GC when it was founded by Tinuviel: to be an oasis in the glittering sea of applications (my poorly paraphrased interpretation).  That hasn't changed, we're moving everything application-related out: GC rightly belongs with those to offer the voice of sanity; also we want to promote the goal of responsible credit management and the GC helps accomplish that so stickying it will be nothing but goodness for eyeballs: more gardeners, more better is my thinking at any rate.

2) Credit Cards over time is going to be a very different forum: namely an informational one and most of the social aspects of the community (of which GC is one) will be in Applications.  The problem is new users who get caught up in the Applications social side will never find the GC if we leave it in CC, and as such the current Garden is as good as it gets, and as the membership moves on (happens with everyone on this forum eventually) the number of members will dwindle leaving it a shell of what it is today.

I know this is a pretty substantial change, and it's pretty much human nature to be skeptical (at best) of any change; however, it needs to happen for both the good of the community and the good of the Garden Club as well when we look at it over the next year or two.

Hey I applaud you guys for trying something new. I think it's a pretty awesome idea really. Having it stickied will let users pop right in, and having it in Applications will provide the benefits you described.

I think this (the whole change, not just GC being stickied) will increase the usage of the Approvals (Applications) forums. It seemed previously that the same 20 or so people always posted in Approvals and many CC forum followers did not even enter. Sounds like this will change that in a good way.

Bravo. My .02.

The problem I see Is the reason approvals were moved to start with other things were getting lost in the pages before being viewed or getting a responds because of congratulations. Just my .02

Correct: and the same is still true in CC's with the rest of the application-related stuff which was one of the driving factors for this change.

That's not a bad idea to keep an eye on though in the Applications forum: actually it would be simplicity itself to create an "I got APPROVED!" thread and sticky it in that board for most of the regular approvals and congrats.  Likely should try that anyway but let's see how this change works out for two weeks or so?

        
Message 1223 of 1,810
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I agree. I really don't get why, but some members seem to hate those Approval/Congratulations posts. 

Also, while I like the idea of stickying the GC thread, what about the gardeners that avoid the approval threads to avoid temptation? It seems like it will be difficult to avoid such threads if they are all under Applications. I remember complaints about the GC being in CC forum, not sure combining everything again will address those issues. 

Message 1224 of 1,810
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

Hello club, 

I hope all is well in the garden. Nothing new to report, I'm just stopping by to check in. Plus I wanted to get the scoop on the forum changes.  Smiley Happy 

Smiley Happy Hi Irisa same garden different folks! 

Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Message 1225 of 1,810
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Irisa wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

I agree. I really don't get why, but some members seem to hate those Approval/Congratulations posts. 

Also, while I like the idea of stickying the GC thread, what about the gardeners that avoid the approval threads to avoid temptation? It seems like it will be difficult to avoid such threads if they are all under Applications. I remember complaints about the GC being in CC forum, not sure combining everything again will address those issues. 

You have to scroll past the Garden thread if it's stickied.  That's impossible to skip especially on the Mobile UI which more and more people will be using over time.  

People do have to take some personal responsibility even if we're trying to make it as easy as possible Smiley Happy.

We're trying a new subset of the posts which were in the old Credit Card forum, and there I agree it was a problem; however, and I'm guilty of pushing both ideas unfortunately, the fact is Approvals wasn't as well thought out as it could have been.

Possibly the case here too, but known issues can be worked on, it's the silly things like board descriptions being awkward and enough of us didn't sanity check it past the first few and therefore it wasn't noticed, those are the bigger problem from a forum management perspective.

        
Message 1226 of 1,810
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@Irisa wrote:

Hello club, 

Hi Cold. Smiley Happy I don't know, something about the garden seems different as well. 

Message 1227 of 1,810
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Irisa wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@Irisa wrote:

Hello club, 

Hi Cold. Smiley Happy I don't know, something about the garden seems different as well. 

Like format kind of stuff, or people?

Oh, and hi Irisa Smiley Happy

Message 1228 of 1,810
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checking in.  My score had taken a big hit from inquiries and new accounts, plus I had to have surgery so my utilization went up from under 10% to 13%.  The scores are coming back up now, bit by bit.  This year is the first year that I've ever had credit cards and I'm amazed at how addicting they can be.  I got a pre-approved letter for a low end band card and you would have thought I won the lottery!

Message 1229 of 1,810
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just checking in.  My score had taken a big hit from inquiries and new accounts, plus I had to have surgery so my utilization went up from under 10% to 13%.  The scores are coming back up now, bit by bit.  This year is the first year that I've ever had credit cards and I'm amazed at how addicting they can be.  I got a pre-approved letter for a low end band card and you would have thought I won the lottery!

Smiley Happy You came to the right place! Welcome to the GC!

Message 1230 of 1,810
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.