Did you mean: 

Garden Club - October 2015

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Garden Club - October 2015

@Anonymous wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

I think being incompatible with finances can become a serious problem especially when times get hard. If a spouse is willing to change their money habits then I'm sure the marriage will be okay. However, this usually is not the norm. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.. Also, I think it is important to know someone's spending habits before the ahemmm.. "coupling"..

Definitely!

SN: I want to clarify my earlier post. I'm not saying two people need to make similar/same salaries just that they both need to know how to live within their means.

Message 551 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Having been married and sadly divorced twice I know from experience anything that adds to the stress of marriage can be very problematic. Money and credit issues should be thoroughly discussed before marriage so hopefully whatever issues there are can be remedied before tying the knot.  While those weren't the main causes of my divorces, they certainly didn't help and added unneeded problems because we didn't address the issues beforehand. Even worse are the almost cataclysmic credit problems that can happen during a divorce. :-/

Good advice Irish!Smiley Happy

Message 552 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tiger_uppercut wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as money and marriage, we tend to do better when things are a struggle.  We work well as a team.  I won't get into the part where the rest of the marriage kind of sucks.  But, we're on the same boat financially.  Married 21 years.

Smiley Sad

Between you and Irish, I'm that much more afraid to get married! Celebrating one year with my girlfriend in 2 weeks, and so far we're of the same mind credit-wise. I helped her get her first credit card (Discover) and have probably been a little....zealous in my stressing the importance of good credit to her. Smiley Happy

If she's not complaining then I wouldn't worry about it. It's sad but money and credit were not discussed in my household growing up. Now, I talk to my son about it all the time. I don't want him to to struggle the way I did. He has made some stupid mistakes and has seen the effects it can have on his credit scores. Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

Message 553 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having been married and sadly divorced twice I know from experience anything that adds to the stress of marriage can be very problematic. Money and credit issues should be thoroughly discussed before marriage so hopefully whatever issues there are can be remedied before tying the knot.  While those weren't the main causes of my divorces, they certainly didn't help and added unneeded problems because we didn't address the issues beforehand. Even worse are the almost cataclysmic credit problems that can happen during a divorce. :-/

I definately agree.. That is the one thing I refuse to budge on.  I don't care if I am called a jerk for wanting transparency lolSmiley Happy.  It is a MUST HAVE  conversation for me.

And can even cause consternation among family.  Even my clients, whom need my help in this area, are reticent to bring up numbers.  I remember YIM having family issues around this in a previous topic.  Divorce coupled with an unscrupulous credit spouse (new term, aka greedy person) can make things ugly.

Who is YIM? 

You?

That is why I asked.  You must have me confused with someoneSmiley Happy..  Nope, never been married.  One partner my entire life and have been together for  8 yearsSmiley Happy

And if you know me, I hardly post personal stuff /threads.  The only thing I mention briefly is my other half is an attorney and we keep things seperate.

Sorry, thought it was you that mentioned loaning money.  Slinks off in corner, have to go back to work soon.  Smiley Sad

It is ok.. I have made such mistakes like this myself you know.  No biggie...  He has 800 scores and have learn to respect each other so it works well for now.  That is why I agreed to the inital washington post.

If I can get him on here, that will be nice but he has refused and thinks I am obsessed with credit lolSmiley Happy 

Lol! My DH accused me of the same thing 2 nights ago. Smiley Happy You should see his eyes glaze over as I start rambling on and on about credit and maximizing our cash back rewards through regular monthly spend. It's hilarious!Smiley Happy

Message 554 of 1,271
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@bbp....as I don't know your age, and am assuming you are black, as I am black also. I'm 41 years old, my parents didn't discuss money, let alone credit when I was growing up. I PREACH to my 17, 18 year old soon about both. He has his first job and is paid EVERY week. He's been promoted to manager and soon he'll be getting a raise. I let him enjoy his money ONLY because he needs to learn EARLY. He got his first over draft fee the other day because he used his debit card as credit instead of debit. He was heartbroken about his fee!

I say all of that to say, our culture need to discuss finances more. SHOW our children financial responsibility. If he's prepared and responsible, I can be proud. I DO NOT WANT HIM TO "FIGURE" IT OUT LIKE I HAD TO.

Message 555 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BBP  Just got off the phone with DBF.  In one fall swoop he says tonight to get off the "credit card research thing" and go play some video games or watch a movie. Smiley LOL

Edit:  Family vent.  My Mom. My mentor. My frustration.  I had to figure it all out myself.  I gave her my weekly update on rebuilding and she praises me. At the same time, I wish I had the cojones to tell my maker that if I had been taught that getting a credit card would have helped me, using only 30%, how to buy a car and refinance it, how to shop for low fee bank accounts...I try and I get, "Well, you just need to learn on your own." Smiley Indifferent She still praises me for what I've done so far. 

Message 556 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@peaved_about_credit wrote:
@bbp....as I don't know your age, and am assuming you are black, as I am black also. I'm 41 years old, my parents didn't discuss money, let alone credit when I was growing up. I PREACH to my 17, 18 year old soon about both. He has his first job and is paid EVERY week. He's been promoted to manager and soon he'll be getting a raise. I let him enjoy his money ONLY because he needs to learn EARLY. He got his first over draft fee the other day because he used his debit card as credit instead of debit. He was heartbroken about his fee!

I say all of that to say, our culture need to discuss finances more. SHOW our children financial responsibility. If he's prepared and responsible, I can be proud. I DO NOT WANT HIM TO "FIGURE" IT OUT LIKE I HAD TO.

I agree it's important to teach our children to be fiscally responsible.

Message 557 of 1,271
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

My parents are the same way. Even in business, I am a natural nail therapist building my own business, that could be HUGE, with no support from them in no way shape or form. Mind you, my parents have been retired about 20 years. My Father is 67, my Mother, 65. Both retired from GM. My dad built the cars, my mom financed them (GMAC). Their pensions together are about 100,000 a year combined.

I asked my daddy the other day, "Dad, you want to invest?" His answer, no questions....."No" me: sad face, stupid face, mad face AND angry face!

We need to support AND teach each other.....ijs

Ok. I'm done. Back to the original topic...hahahaha

Message 558 of 1,271
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Oh yeah! They are high achievers with their credit.

Message 559 of 1,271
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@BBP  Just got off the phone with DBF.  In one fall swoop he says tonight to get off the "credit card research thing" and go play some video games or watch a movie. Smiley LOL

Edit:  Family vent.  My Mom. My mentor. My frustration.  I had to figure it all out myself.  I gave her my weekly update on rebuilding and she praises me. At the same time, I wish I had the cojones to tell my maker that if I had been taught that getting a credit card would have helped me, using only 30%, how to buy a car and refinance it, how to shop for low fee bank accounts...I try and I get, "Well, you just need to learn on your own." Smiley Indifferent She still praises me for what I've done so far. 

Make sure you talk to your children about it because you know what can happen when you don't.

With regards to telling your Mom, you should tell her. Just make sure you are respectful. If you feel you can't do it face to face then write her a letter. I feel we do our children a BIG disservice when we don't discuss topics like money and credit.

Congrats on your rebuild!Smiley Happy

Message 560 of 1,271
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.