Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Thread - September 2016

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Garden Club Thread - September 2016

Good morning, everyone! Have a little under an hour left at work, then I can go home and relax with the DBF to watch the Eagles *sigh*. I grew up 3 miles outside of the old Giants Stadium/now called MetLife, so it's a struggle to root for a Philly team. But hey, we all hate the Cowboys, so it ain't so bad Smiley Wink

Speaking of which, really loving my Reserve card so far. Already used it towards the Global Entry (living in the borderline NYC/Philly metro, my options were limited to EWR, Philly, LGA, JFK, and a custom's building in NYC which didn't have appointments until January. I'd rather not deal with the stress of driving to any of those airports and their associated toll roads, and might as well make a day out of going into the city when I have my appointment, so custom's it is!) and a hotel stay. Few months ago got some pretty good seats for the NYD Eagles/Cowboys game for about $450 for DBF birthday/Christmas present. DBF has a list of things he wants to do in Philly, but with an afternoon game and having work at 4a the next day (potentially 2 or 3a depending on the weather...) I figured we'd do NYE in Philly with a hotel stay. Saw the Courtyard Marriott in the shipyard was within walking distance, but the Marriott.com website didn't have any availability and the only booking site that did was booking.com at $299. For a Saturday night on a holiday before a football game, I understood why it was so high and almost sucked it up...until Chase came to the rescue! They had the same room for $137.50, and I turned about $16 worth of points into $24 travel credit, bringing it down to $113 Smiley Happy Then as soon as it posted, got the travel credit. Wins all around!

I never had much luck with the Chase travel portal before in getting good rates for the hotels I was looking at (other sites oftentimes were much cheaper), but this was an utter steal. Not sure if the Reserve made a difference or if I just lucked out at the time because Chase had just enough rooms that Marriott reserved for them that weren't selling. Either way, I'll take it. Happy gardening, everyone.

Message 461 of 507
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

15 more days and I will complete my one year of not apping at all. Hopefully I get AmEx CLI at that point and then who knows where I might be. Havent been tempted to apply for anything so far even though that CSR looks so delicious

Message 462 of 507
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Good morning, everyone! Have a little under an hour left at work, then I can go home and relax with the DBF to watch the Eagles *sigh*. I grew up 3 miles outside of the old Giants Stadium/now called MetLife, so it's a struggle to root for a Philly team. But hey, we all hate the Cowboys, so it ain't so bad Smiley Wink

Speaking of which, really loving my Reserve card so far. Already used it towards the Global Entry (living in the borderline NYC/Philly metro, my options were limited to EWR, Philly, LGA, JFK, and a custom's building in NYC which didn't have appointments until January. I'd rather not deal with the stress of driving to any of those airports and their associated toll roads, and might as well make a day out of going into the city when I have my appointment, so custom's it is!) and a hotel stay. Few months ago got some pretty good seats for the NYD Eagles/Cowboys game for about $450 for DBF birthday/Christmas present. DBF has a list of things he wants to do in Philly, but with an afternoon game and having work at 4a the next day (potentially 2 or 3a depending on the weather...) I figured we'd do NYE in Philly with a hotel stay. Saw the Courtyard Marriott in the shipyard was within walking distance, but the Marriott.com website didn't have any availability and the only booking site that did was booking.com at $299. For a Saturday night on a holiday before a football game, I understood why it was so high and almost sucked it up...until Chase came to the rescue! They had the same room for $137.50, and I turned about $16 worth of points into $24 travel credit, bringing it down to $113 Smiley Happy Then as soon as it posted, got the travel credit. Wins all around!

I never had much luck with the Chase travel portal before in getting good rates for the hotels I was looking at (other sites oftentimes were much cheaper), but this was an utter steal. Not sure if the Reserve made a difference or if I just lucked out at the time because Chase had just enough rooms that Marriott reserved for them that weren't selling. Either way, I'll take it. Happy gardening, everyone.

Thanks for posting that - especially the Chase Portal part.  I saw in another thread where someone used the concierge service on their card (not even a Chase branded card) to get an excellent rate on a Marriott/Ritz property - I need to remember when the website says there isn't any available or if it is high to try another route.

Message 463 of 507
its_mona
New Contributor

So today I decided to close my Kay account since I never actually used it, am considering closing the Buckle as well for the same reason. I figured I will go ahead and take the hit now since A) im in the garden and B) I added those two AMEX cards.  Hell, surely It will bounce back by the time I leave the garden. Smiley Happy

scores as of 9/5/16| EX 676| EQ 622| TU 649

Message 464 of 507
Anonymous
Not applicable

@its_mona wrote:

So today I decided to close my Kay account since I never actually used it, am considering closing the Buckle as well for the same reason. I figured I will go ahead and take the hit now since A) im in the garden and B) I added those two AMEX cards.  Hell, surely It will bounce back by the time I leave the garden. Smiley Happy

The only negative effect that will have is if you are relying on the CLs for your UTI. Close away, you'll be fine. Smiley Happy

Message 465 of 507
its_mona
New Contributor

Well i kept the Jared so instead of it being split, its just $1500 total now.  I hated how they both went up and down whenever I made a payment.  Its paid off now but still...and the Buckle is only $250 and I added $6000 from AMEX so i think im good. Smiley Happy

scores as of 9/5/16| EX 676| EQ 622| TU 649

Message 466 of 507
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Question of the day when booking your hotel stay what room type do you choose? 

Message 467 of 507
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

Usually the cheapest King-sized room they have, unless there's some type of incentive for me to upgrade (free breakfast, extra points, etc.). Occasionally I'll find hotels that don't do the Kings and only have single Queens, and once I booked a single double along with a single king since it was surprisingly cheaper for 3 people than getting one room with two queen.

Message 468 of 507
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the location. I usually try for a king bed, because DH thinks his side is the middle side. Smiley Wink

Aside from that I will usually spring for an upgrade like a balcony or a better view if it isn't too much more. All depends on what they are offering and what it is worth to me.

Message 469 of 507
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

The answer is that it depends. King bed is pretty much the only requirement I have. 

Otherwise, if it's a trip where we anticipate being out doing excursions and such, a view means little to me. If it's a trip where we have a fair amount of down time, then maybe I'd see if I could get a better view. 

I went to a conference recently where I stayed at an AC by Marriott Hotel. I got a room with a King Bed. I typically like being on a high floor, but they upgraded me to a room with a lovely view of a harbor. But, it was all for naught when it was on the noisiest side of the building. Smiley Sad 

Message 470 of 507
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.