Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Thread - February 2015

tag
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

Re: Garden Thread - February 2015

It will take time for folks to get back into the habit.. Besides, Feb has been a rough month pretty much every time I have checked it for Socials... Lets hope March is better!!

To answer your questions:

I had a very tough medical situation, and had to borrow $5,000 from a family member to pay my bills and eat for a few months while recovering.  I had already used the 5 months of savings I had in a liquid account, but needed the extra 5k..  I decided to find out why my credit score had not increased, and after doing some digging, found this site, and the wonderful advice available.

My scores went from 514 to 690 in 9 months, as I paid off debt, and kept UTI down, paied things off, and did not app. 

I went from 3.1k on store cards to 61k in bank and store cards worth of available credit, with a 70k a year job within 6 months of that highpoint of score.

Chalk up a few more medical mishaps, and while I am still recovering, I have not had to borrow money from family anymore.  I have a 2 year plan to work down my debts again. 

The education of this site has been insightful, as well as beneficial to me. 

Thank you Myfico for all of your support and teachings..

MJ.. I miss you.. I hope you are doing well with your other commitments.

Pup.

OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 1681 of 1,721
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ljthomas wrote:

Hey everyone! I finally picked up my bronze spade yesterday! Woohoo! 

I also just got some auto luv on my VS card, which made my night so much better!

My scores have taken a hit, but the balance on my Amazon card hit the reports, so it was to be expected. My laptop, which was literally falling apart, sorely needed to be replaced. I'm taking advantage of the 0% financing and should be able to pay off the balance within the next few months. I have a year, but would like to get it paid off sooner rather than later.

Congrats on the new spade. Well done and enjoy the new laptop

Message 1682 of 1,721
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

Good evening, GC.

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party.

1. I honestly don't recall what brought me here.  Probably a random Google search for something and appreciated the knowledge gained so decided to join?

2. Achieved a few goals.  Didn't get balances down as far as I would have liked though.  Putting more into that goal this year though.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 1683 of 1,721
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@JayPaulM29 wrote:

Drinks sound good!!

I'm actually going out for martinis to celebrate this 29pt boost I received via TU. woo hoo! Oh and I'm patiently waiting on my BOA card to come so I can watch all my buds grow. Also getting rid of a few weeds (VERVE & Credit One). 

Congrats, I'm weeding Legacy next month ('bout a week and half). Smiley Happy

Signature needs updating
Message 1684 of 1,721
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Time to get this show on the road.

Welcome to the Garden Club's Friday Night Social.  For the immediate future I will be hosting as MyJourney focuses on outside reponsibilities.

Please don't throw empties at the new guy as I bring food and beverages.  Always remember to drink responsibily.  We encourage everyone to participate, especially those of you new to MyFico and the Garden Club.  Don't hesitate to ask questions.  We don't bite just nibble a bit.

Food as promised:

shrimp.jpg

The beverages are fully stocked and ready

liquor.jpg

While any topic is open for discussion I'd like to focus on two questions:

1.  What brought you to MyFico and these forums in the first place?

2.  How has your credit portfolio changed in the past year and did you achieve the goals you wanted to in 2014?

Let the fun begin!

1.) I just wanted to be well informed about credit and finance in general but the goal is to to prepare myself on buying my own place and car. 

2.) I'd say it didn't really change much, except for scores plumetting.. I was also MIA most of 2014 because I was busy with school and relationship. Now happily single; significantly less expenses! haha

I would like to add though that my goal for 2015 is get back up, and pay off most of my CC debt. For 2016, I want to reach the 800 club.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1685 of 1,721
Firefly_1984
Regular Contributor

Hmmm, what brought me here? Well, I had been wanting to start developing my credit profile beyond a closed auto-loan, and two "store" cards, Care Credit and FireStone... so I started doing my research and found this place back in 2014 and signed up with ScoreWatch. In November 2013 I had just gotten my first REAL credit card from Delta Community Credit Union. I was (and still am, proud of that card, even though its in the middle on CL's).  

As far as my profile goes, I am letting it grow as my income does.  I am being very modest with the cards I am going for. Going for every card known to mankind is NOT my thing (Sorry, CreditAddict, though I do love to read your posts anyway. LOL ) Ones that I will definitely make use of. Went for a prequal Citi Diamond Preferred next, in June 2014, got 3200 to start. I was thrilled at the time, but now, not so much. HAHA (I will probably PC this one to DoubleCash in June).  Shortly after that, got a CL on the CU card.  Waited 6 months and tended to my scores in the garden.  Got the Amex ED in Nov 2014. LOVE this card. Amex and I are going to be bff's! Smiley Tongue  And less than a week ago, my fingers got the itch and I applied/reconned the Chase Freedom for 4500.  I am done and have cemented myself in the garden for a LONG time. Smiley Happy 

Age of Credit: 7 years; AAOA: 2 years 6 months
AMEX ED: $9600 Chase Freedom 4500 Discover It 4500 Citi Diamond Preferred: 3200 Care Credit: 3100 DeltaCCU: 6000 Firestone: 1600

Chained in the garden for a LONG TIME!
Message 1686 of 1,721
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'll bite.

I came to myFICO in March 2014 (I lurked for half a year before actually joining) looking to see what I could do about cleaning up my profile and getting past the 3 card monte game i'd been playing since 2011.

I wasn't completely hopeless as I've had an AMEX in my wallet since 2008 which thankfully never abandoned me, which was joined by a Platinum Prestige and a Journey (Both PC to no-AF QS) in 2011. along with a few joint auto loans with the wife that put some good history on my profile. I'd always pulled up my CR's with the free annual option and occasionally got FICO's from SP denials like LC and such, Didn't know just how much a few crappy little medical collections and some ancient C/O's were hurting my scores in addition to the fairly high utilization (35-40% overall on average)

I started to work on getting my medicals removed by either telling them to lean harder on my insurance for payment or PFD and my FICO's rose from the low 600's to mid 600's and high 600's. I then decided to try applying for a few new cards and that just got the ball rolling to where I am today.

Message 1687 of 1,721
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Thanks Irish, the Social was a big hit!

I came to MyFICO after realizing that most of my credit was dropping off. I had paid off a home, a few cars, HE loan but kept a few credit cards.  It was time to replenish my 'stock' and wanted to get some advice from the experts. 

My  profile hasn't changed much since 2014.  I have added a few gems and don't have any plans to add more in the future. 

Message 1688 of 1,721
Anonymous
Not applicable

Switched to MyFICO monitoring last July upon realizing Identity Guard's scores weren't real FICO scores. At the time we were just beginning our home search. The goal for 14 was home ownership which technically wasn't achieved until a week ago but we got there. Frankly even though I call myself finallypayingattention I wouldn't say I really was until mid January when our offer on a house was accepted. The last month has really opened my eyes to how fortunate I was to be able to buy this house with my UTIL as high as it is. I'm gardening until at least the end of the year in an effort to get my 53 percent overall UTIL in check.
Message 1689 of 1,721
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Time to get this show on the road.

Welcome to the Garden Club's Friday Night Social.  For the immediate future I will be hosting as MyJourney focuses on outside reponsibilities.

Please don't throw empties at the new guy as I bring food and beverages.  Always remember to drink responsibily.  We encourage everyone to participate, especially those of you new to MyFico and the Garden Club.  Don't hesitate to ask questions.  We don't bite just nibble a bit.

Food as promised:

shrimp.jpg

The beverages are fully stocked and ready

liquor.jpg

While any topic is open for discussion I'd like to focus on two questions:

1.  What brought you to MyFico and these forums in the first place?

2.  How has your credit portfolio changed in the past year and did you achieve the goals you wanted to in 2014?

Let the fun begin!

I'm sorry, but throwing empties at the new guy, coupled with dousing in liquored ice water, is part of the initiation rites for Friday social management. Smiley Tongue  oh, there were questions?

My very first post, quiness and others were the frequent responders at the time, was about an illegal repo via cap one auto finance, circa 1/2008.  Got responses that mirrored my research results.  Didn't becomee more frequent until later in 2014.

my credit portfolio changed from dirty to clean reports, with a lot of study and research to remove collections remaining.  TU medical collections were the worst, because a CA wasn't complying with the multi debt rules.  Which forced me to prove I didn't owe any of the debts (they got one pay for delete). Smiley Tongue  I actually obtained one card more than I planned, and I didn't plan on apping for Amex, but glad I did.  So, yes, I met my goals + for 2014.

PS, late to the table here, long chat with sis tonight.  But Irish, great layout. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 1690 of 1,721
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.