Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden party ruined by mistake :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden party ruined by mistake :(

Opened up a USAA checking/savings account. Didn't realize they were going to pull my credit. Made sure I didn't apply for over the limit or anything like that. Just plain ol' checking/cashing. They pulled my equifax Smiley Sad ... should have read more thoroughly :/ Can't they use that inquiry/report to see if I qualify for any of their products? (my equifax was 100% clean since midland finally deleted)

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Garden party ruined by mistake :(

Call and see what they can do for you, their csr responses can vary widely, so may want to try a couple of times to see if can elicit an affirmative response.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Opened up a USAA checking/savings account. Didn't realize they were going to pull my credit. Made sure I didn't apply for over the limit or anything like that. Just plain ol' checking/cashing. They pulled my equifax Smiley Sad ... should have read more thoroughly :/ Can't they use that inquiry/report to see if I qualify for any of their products? (my equifax was 100% clean since midland finally deleted)

Awww... Sorry about the unpleasant surprise. USAA does, indeed, pull a hard when you open a checking account. It seems that most banks and CUs are these days. When did you open the account? I'd hasten a guess that you stand no chance of getting them to recode it as a soft, BUT, I think they'll use the same pull in some circumstances. I know that I refinanced a car and opened a USAA Amex on the same day, with one pull.

BUT, if you're firmly in the garden, I'd consider letting it go. It seems to be an INQ well spent... it's the price of a checking account these days, anyway. Opening new credit will lower your AAoA, give you a hit for new credit, etc... having one new INQ for a checking account has a negligible impact on your scores.

Message 3 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Consider it a good pull...

USAA is an excellent bank to be with!

Ray

USAA - 26 year member...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I called to ask if they do a hard or soft pull when you open a checking acct, and their rep told me that they don't check credit at all to open an account. She said that all you need to do is make a $25 deposit over the internet. I said that they must check people's credit, that they don't just open an account for anyone. And, she replied, "Yes, anybody can open an account at USAA."

This was from someone in their banking dept.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

When I joined USAA in 2009 they did not check my credit.  But that could be because I'm not a full member. 

Message 6 of 21
ontop
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear that Smiley Mad

They must have changed the rules or something because I just opened a month ago both checking/saving and have no pull on the 3 CB. I can confirmed this. I'm not a full member BTW.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 7 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

Does anyone know how I can become a full USAA member? 

Message 8 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Military service, you or an immediate family member must currently be serving or have served.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

Military service, you or an immediate family member must currently be serving or have served.

Ray

Ok.  I'll have to ask my dad if he's a member of USAA already.  He's a veteran.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.