Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden?

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Garden?

I am trying to build my husbands score, he's at a 612 FICO, up from 511 march 3Rd. He got approved for fingerhut fresh start $230 XL $30 deposit, and capital one secured $99 deposit. he needs a 640 to qualify for the home loan we want to get, with these two accounts will that be enough to take his score to where it needs to be? We plan to apply for the home loan in November if his score is where it should be. I'm worried about how these two new accounts are going to hurt his AAoA and score initially. Will his score bounce back plus some if we keep both of these accounts at around 5% util over the next 6 months? Should we garden these two, or try to get an unsecured card after a few months of these reporting? Thanks in advance!!!
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: Garden?

XL should be CL!! On phone! Lol
Message 2 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

your cutting it close with the 6 month rule IMO I would garden

edit 6 month rule= no apps within 6 months of a mortgage

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You should add him as an AU to one of your cards if possible... that will also give him a boost. Ideally he would have 2 major bank issued credit cards reporting.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 27
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

I don't have cards, my credit is far worse than his!
Message 5 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:
I am trying to build my husbands score, he's at a 612 FICO, up from 511 march 3Rd. He got approved for fingerhut fresh start $230 XL $30 deposit, and capital one secured $99 deposit. he needs a 640 to qualify for the home loan we want to get, with these two accounts will that be enough to take his score to where it needs to be? We plan to apply for the home loan in November if his score is where it should be. I'm worried about how these two new accounts are going to hurt his AAoA and score initially. Will his score bounce back plus some if we keep both of these accounts at around 5% util over the next 6 months? Should we garden these two, or try to get an unsecured card after a few months of these reporting? Thanks in advance!!!

IMO I would make a large deposit on that Cap1 secured card and get 1 more secured card then Garden. BofA has a decent deal for one. I dont wanna say go for a Cap1 unsecured cause that is 3 HP's for 1 card.

Have you checked into the local CU thing??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 27
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

We are members of a CU, their secured requires a $250 minimum deposit, was hoping to get him the unsecured, we have two collections to pay off his report, plus saving for the house, the purse strings are tight right now so we don't want to be paying a lot in deposits for secured cards, which is why I applied for the fingerhut, I knew it'd be $30 deposit, which actually goes towards the first purchase, or no deposit.
Message 7 of 27
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Keep cap one secure, and open up a boa secure. They help me get 200 points in a year from 500 to 700 ish, so if in a half a year you get 100 points you guys should be good for the mortgage
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 8 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:
We are members of a CU, their secured requires a $250 minimum deposit, was hoping to get him the unsecured, we have two collections to pay off his report, plus saving for the house, the purse strings are tight right now so we don't want to be paying a lot in deposits for secured cards, which is why I applied for the fingerhut, I knew it'd be $30 deposit, which actually goes towards the first purchase, or no deposit.

Credit One might be a good look too. Fees suck but there is your 2nd Bankcard you need.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 27
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Twin, how rapid were the points?
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.