Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening is HARD!! Citi Pre-qual

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Gardening is HARD!! Citi Pre-qual

Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 5.04.37 PM.png

I would go for it if the apr was lower, 23% is just way to high to start off with another CC, and if my INQ were a lot down, would hate to app and get denied for INQ. And I don't want to deal with citi, because of what ive heard, but nice to see they kinda of like me I guess..

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Gardening is HARD!! Citi Pre-qual

Well its actually like quit smoking. Get past the first month then it will be downhill. You can do it. Get away from approvals and leave the forum for a while then you can garden in peace. Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

You're current scores are higher than mine and i still bet they would offer a low starting limit. I bit on a Simplicity offer last week and was showed a $1K but the APR was magnificient for me 13.99%. It seems that it's always one or the other with Citi, good SL bad APR or else Low SL and good APR.

I give up on them until they prove some stability.

Message 3 of 14
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I would strongly advise you to pass on such an offer at this time. That interest rate is indicative of more than just the "price you pay." It will likely lead to an unsatisfactory credit limit if you are ultimately approved. The offers will improve over time and the card isn't going anywhere. I'm not an advocate for "gardening," but I'd have to resist the urge to apply in this case.

Message 4 of 14
elim
Senior Contributor

I have worked my way up to (and currently have) 5 solid APR card offers on Citi's prequal...  Due to the junk SL's some posters have recieved lately...  I'm not bighting yet either.

Message 5 of 14
willwar14
Valued Contributor

I was actually in the garden for about 3 months, then I left to get my Macys Amex, then re-entered the garden, then left again once comenity started giving me SCT popups, left for 2 V/M cards.. now back in the garden, and don't feel the need to leave tbh..

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got one and BAM!!!! DENIED!!!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find that the more often u check for prequals, even when none show up online, they mail you more and more offers. I started out getting 0 for 9 months then 22.9% on DP, then 0 for 12, then 19%. Then started getting 0 for 21 then 12.99% on simplicity. Then one day presto chango 0 for 18 months then 13.99%. Just hang out for now, keep checking back.

Message 8 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

I would go for it if the apr was lower, 23% is just way to high to start off with another CC, and if my INQ were a lot down, would hate to app and get denied for INQ. And I don't want to deal with citi, because of what ive heard, but nice to see they kinda of like me I guess..

Well, the nice thing about the Citi prequalification, it is clear feedback as to how your credit is doing.

Earlier in 2015, I went from ranges of prequal APR (not good) to the lowest APR on the cards, across the board.

And then the Citi prequals went back to ranges for a while, when I wasn't really quite ready anyway, but that kept me from apping.

Then in July, the prequalification went to lowest APR across the board again, so I went for the AAdvantage card and got a $13k CL and lowest APR, plus the 50,000 miles offer, which I heard was expiring soon. After that though, the 50k miles offer continued to show for me, along with lowest APR, and 25,000 points for TY Preferred.

My suggestion for your gardening project is, once a month, go to the Citi prequalification page, and check to see how you are doing. If the APR gets a lot lower, then you know your chances are probably much improved. I agree, for now, 23% is probably a marginal approval, but you'll have good feedback as your file improves, from this tool.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 14
daihashi
Valued Member

Gardening is easy when you don't look for new loans or credit lines. Just sit back and forget that apps, pre-quals, etc even exist... unless you find yourself in a situation where you absolutely need a loan. Such as your car caught on fire and now you need a new one... or the foundation to your house if falling apart and its going to cost $20k to repair.. etc.

In the garden since: 11/12/2015
Starting Scores (11/13/2015): EQ 665 | TU 671 | EX 663
Current Scores (06/25/2016): EQ 690 | TU 711 | EX 700
Goal Score:
720 across all 3 by 07/2016

>

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.