Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening sure can be tough...

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Gardening sure can be tough...

Can't stay away from forums. Smiley Wink

But it's easier to garden when you have sufficient credit, and a plan. Want guaranteed approvals, so no apping. However, like yesterday, sometimes need a bit of a break from the forums.
Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 35
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Some good advice herein so Im going to piggyback with a few addtl thoughts. First... dont let pre-quals, pre-screens, pre-approvals or PRE-anything-else for that matter factor n2 your equation. This is a common misconception I see being made here and elsewhere on a daily basis. Being PRE something has little impact on whether you'll ultimately be approved for a product with the exception perhaps being if you already hav a relationship with the lenderr in question (which in this case it seems U do). Besides its so easy to misled by other ppls approvals & cli's.

Nonetheless ppl often mistakenly conclude being prequal'ed for a card means they've essentially been approved. For the sake of brevity I wont break down the finite details but suffice to say its not true and essentially comes down to understanding exactly what being prequal'ed means. Once U understand that then it puts your app strategy n2 perspective.... which is the second point I want to make.

The reason gardening is so tough for most is bcuz they dont hav a strategy in place when it comes to credit management. Dont get me wrong its still challenging. But the difference between succumbing to temptation or not.... is having a strategy in place on how you intend to attain your goals. Most of us hav been there and I'd 'venture' say (notice the pun I just threw in) that many are STILL there.

One final caveat... I disagree philosophically with the manner in which I observe most ppl employ gardening (not saying this applies to U specifically just me generalizing). For example when ppl go on app spreees then use gardening as a means to lay low until their next app spree, to me this is basically a counterproductive measure. To me it signals undisciplined behavior (though Im sure some may disagree). I've seen quite a few examples of folks using gardening in a manner that I find to be questionable @ best. I realize thats getting n2 subjective territory but being able to attain many lines of credit doesnt necessarily equate responsible behavior bcuz many are simply addicted to amassing as much credit as they can (with some 'so-called' gardening in between). Some may counter that it works despite appearances - well I recall Wall Street making the same claim re: the markets managing themselves b4 the economy almost tanked n2 oblivion. Just sayin... appearances can be deceiving.

Not going to belabour that point here though... just trying to say ultimately your strategy is going to be your best friend when it comes down to it. Dont feel that U need to garden based on what others do. The whole point is making gardening work for U based on a strategy that you've developed on your own NOT on what someone else is doing. Cuz the beautiful thing about strategy (like chess or any other game) is that its unique and should be a reflection of how our individual mind preceives the goal we're trying to reach. Anyhoo... for the sake of argument Im going to assume U already know most of what I've stated herein so with that...

Best of luck Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.  'Gardening' every six months and then dropping 6-10 apps is irresponsible.  I'm sitting it out until my scores get better, then try to go for the 3-5 cards on my want list.  Once I have those I'm done with applying.  It helps to have a very specific criteria.  Majority of my spending is gas and groceries, so Sallie Mae and/or BCP would work in my case.  Along with the 5% cash back cards that have that as a category for a quarter., I may add Discover to maximize that since the categories sometimes differ.  I also like getting more than 1% for non-category spending (Citi Double Cash) plus having a companion to Chase Freedom (CSP) that also has dining and travel UR points that I can combine between the two.  

That's about 4-5 cards on top of the ones I have already (I'm not keeping Walmart, and I'm still debating on CareCredit). Once I get those I'm done with applying for more. 

Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Existentialist wrote:

]

@Anonymous final caveat... I disagree philosophically with the manner in which I observe most ppl employ gardening (not saying this applies to U specifically just me generalizing). For example when ppl go on app spreees then use gardening as a means to lay low until their next app spree, to me this is basically a counterproductive measure. To me it signals undisciplined behavior (though Im sure some may disagree). I've seen quite a few examples of folks using gardening in a manner that I find to be questionable @ best. I realize thats getting n2 subjective territory but being able to attain many lines of credit doesnt necessarily equate responsible behavior bcuz many are simply addicted to amassing as much credit as they can (with some 'so-called' gardening in between). 

I'm not singling you out in particular, just an interesting subject.

Sure I like to amass credit...simply because I like it.  I don't know if liking something is responsible or not.

As for app sprees, it's about the money for me.  For every "new account" that hits my credit card, my score drops for approximately 6 months.  If I app for 5 credit cards; 1 every month, by the 5th card, my score will be significantly lower than my 1st app.  

Responsible = Spreading out apps = progressively lower FICO score = higher APR and lower limits.  

Irresponsible = App Spree = Higher score = lower APR costs and higher limits

So if I am responsible and spread my apps across 5 months, I end up paying more APR and have lower limits.

If I am irresponsible and app for 5 cards at once, I pay a better APR and I have higher limits.

Saving money and getting higher limits, that's why I app spree... even though it may be irresponsible.

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a fine line between credit hoarding and rate shopping.
Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. Nothing wrong with wanting to save money
Message 16 of 35
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Appreciate the response. The only key point  Im going to offer on the matter is this: You're describing a personal preference based on your desire to app for credit bcuz U like amasssing credit/money. Well okay then... I can certainly respect that and even your justification for it. However as a matter of practicality no... I wouldnt recommend it to anyone else. If it works for U bcuz U understand how your mind works and what your threshold levels are then thats fine. Perhaps U hav an income that can suport how ever many cards U feel U want and desire and can reasonably attain. Dont know and it doesnt really matter.

That said its not a realistically sustainable scenario for most. Sans credit crisis it would seem that many erroneously believe the economy has stabilized when nothing could be further from the truth. See my viewpoint on matters credit related is much broader than the individual scenario U hav submittd herein (re: your approach to app'ing). This is about understanding the realities of how the credit game is played on a large scale and how our behavior fits n2 the mold. And not how we want it (the mold) to be mind U... rather how it is.

Knowing what I know about the fragility of our current economic state (despite appearances) it would be irresponsible to advise or encourage lucid behavior - its how we got n2 this mess in the first place. And contrary to popular belief its not done. So not only am I following your opinion with total clarity, truthfully Im a step beyond it bcuz @ the end of the day its much bigger than how many credit lines anyone can attain.

So back to my original line of thought... as previously stated gardening as a tool is subjective territory. And yes I find in your presented scenario some unaccounted for intangibles outside of your control which based on the manner in which U app could prove unfortunate in the long run given the possiblity of certain events transpiring economically speaking but hey... as U will. Thats my reasoning (and no Im not going to elaborate bcuz its your strategy and you're obviously comfortable with it so I'm not going to rock your boat) although I will state that most ppl think everything is going great.... until the day that it isnt. Perhaps your line of thought on the matter will prove to be the exception. Only time will tell.

Furthermore since its reasonable to conclude that we all want the same thing - to maximize our credit and make it work for us as efficiently as possible, then it summarily goes without saying that the manner in which we do so should also be of equal importance. Again, appreciate the response. Continue to do your thing... as will I.

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am personally a bonus and rewards chaser. It's nice to get big lines of credit as a kind of validation of your creditworthyness, but I will trade one card and it's limit for another when a juicy bonus is involved any day of the week.

I am completely comfortable with the current amount of credit I have been extended.

Message 18 of 35
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I don't have any trouble gardening.  Up until yesterday when I app'd for the Venture card it had been about a year since I got my Chase card.  And,  I thought about the Venture card for about 6 weeks before I decided to go for it.  I am not an impulsive shopper. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live by the motto "App now, think later"  This is why I have a Citi Diamond Preferred...

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.