Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Card Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas Card Questions

If one applies for a gas card, and obtains it (like I have a chance anyway) do they usually start with tiny limits like store cards? If so do they grow?

I know I take a hit for the INQ, and the AAoA goes down. (In my case not very much since all of my credit is newer anyway.)  When does the point loss rebound?

Say it dips 5 or even 10 points for the INQ and AAoA, how many months of on-time paying and keeping the balance under 10% until I can get those 5-10 points back and then some?

Also, which is easier to get out of Exxon/Mobile, or Shell?  Even though both are Citi backed I heard it is harder to get Shell for some reason.

To clarify I mean a straight up gas card not a MC or Visa.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Gas Card Questions

Shell started out at $250 and went to $350 at the six month mark.  It's a regular ol gas card, but has a $70 cash withdrawal limit on it.

If you have a lot of inquiries (like over 5) forget applying for Shell or Sunoco.  After two went away on TU and I got down around 4 I was approved. 

I don't believe I lost many points for this one, maybe 1 or 2.  I use it like crazy & pif right away, no problem.

Message 2 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

if exxon is backed by Chase....ewwwww.  It's like pulling teeth & offering your first born up as a sacrifice.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for a Shell & a Citgo gas card back in September of 08. Both cards are backed by Citi an i was approved instantly for both cards. Both cards pulled EX. My score at the time was like 645 the only baddie i had showing on my CR was one paid collection an i also had about 28 inquries on my CR 15 of those inquries where new. I also had a few new accounts on my CR i guess i was lucky an just got in lol.

Shell CL $500

Citgo CL $750

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-04-2009 05:55 PM
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved for a Shell & a Citgo gas card back in September of 08. Both cards are backed by Citi an i was approved instantly for both cards. Both cards pulled EX. My score at the time was like 645 the only baddie i had showing on my CR was one paid collection an i also had about 28 inquries on my CR 15 of those inquries where new. I also had a few new accounts on my CR i guess i was lucky an just got in lol.

Shell CL $500

Citgo CL $750

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-04-2009 05:55 PM

True, granted September was only 6 months ago, but the poo poo has hit the fan since then. How are your scores now? Did it take long to recover from two new cards? What about increases? 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

True, granted September was only 6 months ago, but the poo poo has hit the fan since then. How are your scores now? Did it take long to recover from two new cards? What about increases? 

Not sure what my EX score is haven't pulled it in months now i can't pull it anymore since Myfico don't offer it anymore but i'm sure it has improved somewhat. I did pull my TU score recently it's 724 i have no baddies showing on that report. A year ago my TU was like 550 i did some good cleaning up this past year with my CR an it paid off. I'm thinking a year from now i can get my TU score in the 800's hopefully.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-04-2009 06:29 PM
Message 6 of 8
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

I have a speedway (Super America) started out with a $400 limit, it is the gas store card, not a visa or MC, and I am not sure with bureau they pulled me score from.
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a BP gas card (backed by Chase) last July and my CL is $1200. I'm in MN and they pulled EQ. As you can see below, my scores been fluctuating a bit but I added on 5 new CC TLs from June to December. I don't have any experience with Exxon or Shell - sorry.
Message Edited by pez478 on 03-05-2009 04:17 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.