Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Cash Back. Rewards

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Gas Cash Back. Rewards

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

I'm assuming kroger doesn't classify itself as gas pump when your there, or do they not take Amex? Which is why you have to use QS instead? 

But yeah, Blue Cash, prefered or regular, isn't the best option out there for gas, several 5%'s out there. And QS is your default fallback card for all purchases.

True, but the actual Blue Cash is fine, 5% on gas (and groceries and drug stores).   It does have one strange rule for gas, it is only 5% on the first $400 per TRANSACTION, rest is 1%.   Not quite sure why!

Message 11 of 26
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

I'm assuming kroger doesn't classify itself as gas pump when your there, or do they not take Amex? Which is why you have to use QS instead? 

But yeah, Blue Cash, prefered or regular, isn't the best option out there for gas, several 5%'s out there. And QS is your default fallback card for all purchases.

True, but the actual Blue Cash is fine, 5% on gas (and groceries and drug stores).   It does have one strange rule for gas, it is only 5% on the first $400 per TRANSACTION, rest is 1%.   Not quite sure why!

Wait, the regular Blue Cash gets 5% on gas?

Message 12 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

The Amex Blue Cash card does, yes.  This is not the Blue Cash Preferred or the Blue Cash Everyday, it's the older version that is still available.  5% off gas, supermarkets and drug stores after a spend of $6,500 a year.

Message 13 of 26
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

Yeah he's right, forgot about Blue Cash.

I should of typed Blue cash preferred or everyday, which is what i meant comparing to OPs cards. 

Message 14 of 26
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

The Amex Blue Cash card does, yes.  This is not the Blue Cash Preferred or the Blue Cash Everyday, it's the older version that is still available.  5% off gas, supermarkets and drug stores after a spend of $6,500 a year.

That's sounds like a good card...wonder why it's not talked about very often.  Very interesting!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 15 of 26
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Let's talk gas saving.

I usually purchase my gas at Kroger or Giant Eagle, but decided to stop at Shell's to take advantage of the 2% gas reward on my Amex BCE.

@I got 13.171 gallons @3.699 which amount to $48.72. This would be a cash back reward of .97

If I got my gas at Kroger I would have received the gas at 3.669 at 13.171. This would have been an been an instant saving of .40 then to add my QS 1.5 saving I would have earned another .72 cash back.

That's a grand total 1.12 vs .97 on the Amex BCE.

I think I will continue getting my gas at Kroger until I incorporated the Chase and Discover 5%. Is this right???? I don't see where using my BCE is benefiting me for gas.

This is why I am yearning for the BCP.  I already get my gas at Kroger because each week I get 10-20 cents off per gallon due to grocery shopping there.  So in the perfect scenerio, I will use the BCP to get 6% grocery shopping.  Then hit the pumps for the 10-20 cents off per gallon, using a 5% gas card.  Minus the $1 fee for using a card at the pump, the total cash back will be pretty decent.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 16 of 26
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Let's talk gas saving.

I usually purchase my gas at Kroger or Giant Eagle, but decided to stop at Shell's to take advantage of the 2% gas reward on my Amex BCE.

@I got 13.171 gallons @3.699 which amount to $48.72. This would be a cash back reward of .97

If I got my gas at Kroger I would have received the gas at 3.669 at 13.171. This would have been an been an instant saving of .40 then to add my QS 1.5 saving I would have earned another .72 cash back.

That's a grand total 1.12 vs .97 on the Amex BCE.

I think I will continue getting my gas at Kroger until I incorporated the Chase and Discover 5%. Is this right???? I don't see where using my BCE is benefiting me for gas.

This is why I am yearning for the BCP.  I already get my gas at Kroger because each week I get 10-20 cents off per gallon due to grocery shopping there.  So in the perfect scenerio, I will use the BCP to get 6% grocery shopping.  Then hit the pumps for the 10-20 cents off per gallon, using a 5% gas card.  Minus the $1 fee for using a card at the pump, the total cash back will be pretty decent.

What kind of gas card do you have?

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 17 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

That's sounds like a good card...wonder why it's not talked about very often.  Very interesting!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

A few reasons:  Firstly most people who knew of it assumed it was no longer available.  A post here by Timmy_Hardwell in Dec explained how to get it.

Then you need to spend $6,500 EACH year before the 5% kicks in.   This spend gets either 0.5% or 1% and this lower rate is a cost.  It's more than made up if you spend a lot of course.

Message 18 of 26
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Thanks for the info!!!

A few reasons:  Firstly most people who knew of it assumed it was no longer available.  A post here by Timmy_Hardwell in Dec explained how to get it.

Then you need to spend $6,500 EACH year before the 5% kicks in.   This spend gets either 0.5% or 1% and this lower rate is a cost.  It's more than made up if you spend a lot of course.

Thanks for the additional information.  

Message 19 of 26
mattmix36
Contributor

Just got this email...seems like USAA is getting on the 5% cash back at the pump deal.

You've been pre-selected to get:
0% intro APR on balance
transfers for 18 months
5% cash back on gas¹
up to $3,000 on gas purchases annually.
2% cash back on groceries¹
up to $3,000 on grocery purchases annually.
1% cash back on other purchases
with no limit.
Plus, no annual fee.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.