Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas/Restaurant category cards??

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas/Restaurant category cards??

SSFCU Power Travel Rewards 3.3% of travel, dining & gas.  Geography limited.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The $200 in fast food is largely due to lunches at work. Since we don't do a lot of groceries, there usually isn't much for leftovers. I work at a credit union (so M-F 9-5) and there are usually about 20-22 work days in a given month. My lunch spend is generally about $5-8/day, kinda crazy but we just aren't avid cookers unfortunately. We'd like to start cooking but we just aren't comfortable eating food that we may or may not be able to successfully cook. Maybe we just make it harder than it is haha.

And the costco is a definite no-go. The only costco in Oklahoma to my knowledge is in Tulsa, which is about 2-3 hours from where I'm located (Northwestern OKC). I wanted that card and was fine with the annual payout as those rewards are nice. But the fee for me would be more of an annual card fee than a fee to shop, as I probably wouldn't drive 3 hours for groceries. Any potential savings would most likely be eaten in gas haha.

I mean. Bank of the West seems like my best bet. But I'd read that they don't have a payment option on their side of your card login, which results in requiring you to push the payment from your bank account via billpay. Idk that just seems odd to me, not to have a way to make a payment from your card login on their side? Unless those are very old dp's and this is now an option through their cards? The only reason I prefer doing it from the issuers side is so that in the event that there happens to be an error with payment delivery, they can see that I legitimately did schedule a payment for that date and am not just blowing smoke, ya know? But maybe they allow payments from their side now idk..... if anybody has updated info that'd be nice

Themanwhocan hit most of the main points already, but Bank of the West has an option on their website where you can pull payments from your bank account through Western Union. You can only pull a max of $1,000 within 25 days though, so if you think you'll need to pay more than that, then you may need to push payments.

If you're an autopay kind of person, you can also call in and ask for their autopay form. They'll ask you info like your credit card #, your bank account #, and whether you want to pay the minimum amount or full balance.

Message 12 of 20
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PNC just came out with a card last month that to my limited knowledge is the best single gas and food card I could find. 4% back on gas, 3% back on restuarants, and 2% back on groceries. Check it out here.

I read on another site that's it's limited to certain states:Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Washington D.C.

I swear I was ready to leave the garden again!

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 13 of 20
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PNC just came out with a card last month that to my limited knowledge is the best single gas and food card I could find. 4% back on gas, 3% back on restuarants, and 2% back on groceries. Check it out here.

I read on another site that's it's limited to certain states:Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Washington D.C.

I swear I was ready to leave the garden again!

That PNC card has an annual cap of $8k across all categories, which is not much.

Message 14 of 20
digitek
Established Contributor

If you have a grocery card or normal 2% card you could use that for groceries instead and it would be tough for most to hit $8k in just dining/gas I think.  Thats $667 a month on just dining/gas, which probably fits into most peoples spending habits.  If you add groceries, though, I think most people would end up over.

Message 15 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

$200 on fast food a month? Darn, that's a lot. Sorry I couldn't help.

Its not really. Depending on where you live fast food isn't super cheap. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
First off, buy more groceries and less fast food. Your body will thank you later on in life. I'm 30 and already suffering from the same exact mistake. Next just get a rewards card from Penfed for gas 4.25% and maybe one or two revolving 5% category cards. Boom easy.

I eat way too much food but I was in SE Asia for a bit over 3 weeks and eating vietnamese/thai/chinese/japanese food I lost like 17 lbs in that period of time. The food in the US is real crap. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 20
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

$200 on fast food a month? Darn, that's a lot. Sorry I couldn't help.

Its not really. Depending on where you live fast food isn't super cheap. 

I suppose but I'd still opt to make myself a grilled cheese sandwich or pack a lunch.. But I'm probably not the right focus group as I eat out at most twice a year.. and no fast foods. Save so much money and just as convenient. And better for ya.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 20
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
First off, buy more groceries and less fast food. Your body will thank you later on in life. I'm 30 and already suffering from the same exact mistake. Next just get a rewards card from Penfed for gas 4.25% and maybe one or two revolving 5% category cards. Boom easy.

I eat way too much food but I was in SE Asia for a bit over 3 weeks and eating vietnamese/thai/chinese/japanese food I lost like 17 lbs in that period of time. The food in the US is real crap. 

17 pounds in 3 weeks is not helthy. Can't be losing that kind of weight.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 19 of 20
JamP
Valued Contributor

Sams club Mastercard is what gets my spend when I am traveling or eating out alot.

5% gas, 3% restaurants, it only pays out once a year and you have to cash it at a Sams club. 

This might exclude it from your list. 

I use AARP also to keep my relationship open with Chase.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.