Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas and Grocery Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas and Grocery Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I used my new Sallie Mae card that everybody says doesn't exist anymore for the first time on Thursday. 5% rewards on both my gas and walmart purchases posted today. But by all means, let's not let that data point get in the way of the nerfing hysteria.

Nobody has said it doesn't not exist anymore, only that they are no longer accepting apps for new accounts. That fact happens to be very relevant to a thread where a member is asking about getting a grocery and gas card.

Message 21 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And depending on your spend and style, there is also the old blue cash from Amex.   After spending $6.5K each year (on anything) you get 5% on drug stores, groceries and gas up to an annual limit of $50K

Message 22 of 40
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

There are some really good suggestion here.  Smiley Happy

I'll just add that I also really don't care for annual fees... that being said, if your grocery spend is high enough the BCP could be a better deal than the BCE, even after you subtract the annual fee.  That's actually the case for me. 

The cut-off for which one to choose (if you're only talking about groceries) is approx. $210/month.  If you spend less, stick with the BCE.  If you spend more, even after the AF the BCP will still get you more cash back.  This doesn't take department store purchases or gas into account, which you'll also want to consider.

Here's the 'back of the envelope' math (keep in mind this only takes grocery purchases into consideration):

• BCP   $210/month * 12 = $2520 * 6% = $151.20 - ($75 AF) = $76.20 annual cash back
  • BCE   $210/month * 12 = $2520 * 3% = $75.60 annual cash back

That's great. Always wanted hard numbers like that.. Thank you.

And if you have a significant other who loves department stores, like my wife,  even better on the BCP.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

And if you have a significant other who loves department stores, like my wife,  even better on the BCP.

Better now on Discover if you can. ESPECIALLY if you can with Apple Pay! 

Message 24 of 40
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used my new Sallie Mae card that everybody says doesn't exist anymore for the first time on Thursday. 5% rewards on both my gas and walmart purchases posted today. But by all means, let's not let that data point get in the way of the nerfing hysteria.

Nobody has said it doesn't not exist anymore, only that they are no longer accepting apps for new accounts. That fact happens to be very relevant to a thread where a member is asking about getting a grocery and gas card.

Agreed.  It will be strange not seeing posters listing the Sallie Mae MC as an option when someone is asking about a good no fee grocery and gas card.  Seeing the recommendations for the BCE and BofA Cash Rewards seems so 2012!  Smiley Tongue

Good luck to the OP in finding a new useful card though.

Message 25 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Better now on Discover if you can. ESPECIALLY if you can with Apple Pay! 

Very true... right now when I go the mall it's my Discover card that gets used.

Come January, I'll go back to the trusty 'ole BCP!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LShawn08 wrote:

Plotting out for a future app next year and only planning to app once for the right card. Can anyone steer me in the right direction of a great gas and grocery card? 

If you shop at actual supermarkets and not Walmart or Target, than I would go with the Amex BCE. The regular BCE does not have an annual fee. If you grocey shop at Walmart or Target than I'm going to suggest BoA Cash Rewards. I have them both, but I shop for groceries at Target & Walmart so I use my BoA CR.

With BoA CR, you have to make sure your Target and/or Walmart codes for groceries to be eligible to receive bonus cash back. Mine do, so I haven't had any problems. I also enjoy the extra 10% cash back when you redeem your rewards into a BoA account. Every little bit helps!

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have BCP for my gas and grocery. Lately I've been putting everything on my EDP though as a thanks for giving me a CLI on that one!

Someone said Discover, shouldn't be forgotten with the double cash back deal. 

Message 28 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right, it's a fairly useless recommendation as OP can't get the card anymore so there's not much point in mentioning it.

Message 29 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I use my Amex at the Wal Mart I usually shop at, it comes up as a Discount Store. But when I use my Sallie Mae mastercard at that same Wal Mart, it shows up as groceries. 

Unfortunately, Amex doesn't count stores like Walmart and Target as grocery stores. It's in their fine print. They don't say Walmart & Target specifically but they do say "superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets" which is why my BCE gets very little action.

It will be interesting to see if they change their wording now since the cards are now accepted at Sam's.

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.