Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas and Grocery Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas and Grocery Card

@LShawn08 wrote:

I prefer to shop at Schnucks anyway but i should keep that in mind. 

As long as it's considered to be a grocery store than you will be fine with either the Amex BCE or BoA CR.

Message 31 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

While I'm not advocating the practice, a person can simply purchase some bulk GCs at a supermarket with the BCP or EDP (or, at an office store with the Inks), and use the GCs for Walmart, Costco, and wherever.  I realize this isn't nearly as efficient as the pure 5% dedicated earnings, but it may be a viable option for some.

Message 32 of 40
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I use my Amex at the Wal Mart I usually shop at, it comes up as a Discount Store. But when I use my Sallie Mae mastercard at that same Wal Mart, it shows up as groceries. 

Unfortunately, Amex doesn't count stores like Walmart and Target as grocery stores. It's in their fine print. They don't say Walmart & Target specifically but they do say "superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets" which is why my BCE gets very little action.

It will be interesting to see if they change their wording now since the cards are now accepted at Sam's.

Good eye on you! I really wanted to start shopping at my local Sams Club more often (which I think is considered a warehouse club). 

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 33 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Do keep in mind that sometimes foregoing the special "grocery " rewards and getting things at walmart and target still comes out cheaper.
Message 34 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Do keep in mind that sometimes foregoing the special "grocery " rewards and getting things atwalmart and target still comes out cheaper.

This is very true. 

The only 'true' grocery stores where my parents live aren't very competitive, so for my folks it's cheaper to shop at Wal-Mart and not bother with cash back rewards.  For me, I have a couple of grocery stores nearby that are very competitive, specifically with Wal-Mart, so I do OK. 

In my case I shop Kroger often, and generally get back an additional $18 to $20 a month on my gas using their fuel points, so for even the few times when they are slightly higher than Wal-Mart (which isn't too often) I still come out ahead.

Message 35 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

While I'm not advocating the practice, a person can simply purchase some bulk GCs at a supermarket with the BCP or EDP (or, at an office store with the Inks), and use the GCs for Walmart, Costco, and wherever.  I realize this isn't nearly as efficient as the pure 5% dedicated earnings, but it may be a viable option for some.

I always get cards for my Hulu and Netflix subscriptions, in addition to cards for the fast-food places I frequent.  For now I'm passing on the Amazon cards since using Discover is a better deal (through the end of December) but when it's time to buy something on eBay, I make a Kroger run every time. 

And to be clear, I absolutely am advocating it... it's foolish to pass up 6% savings on stuff you'd be buying anyway.  I'm not talking about 'thousands' of dollars a month here or 'churning', I'm talking about just buying cards for stuff I'd be using a credit card for each month.  For me, it's never any more than $250 a month... which is lower than a single grocery transaction for many folks.

There's nothing wrong with it, Amex doesn't mind (nor can they even tell), and Kroger even encourages it with their Fuel Point promotions, which right now is 4x points on GC purchases.  I certainly understand folks have different opinions, but this is mine.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I always get cards for my Hulu and Netflix subscriptions, in addition to cards for the fast-food places I frequent.  For now I'm passing on the Amazon cards since using Discover is a better deal (through the end of December) but when it's time to buy something on eBay, I make a Kroger run every time. 

And to be clear, I absolutely am advocating it... it's foolish to pass up 6% savings on stuff you'd be buying anyway.  I'm not talking about 'thousands' of dollars a month here or 'churning', I'm talking about just buying cards for stuff I'd be using a credit card for each month.  For me, it's never any more than $250 a month... which is lower than a single grocery transaction for many folks.

There's nothing wrong with it, Amex doesn't mind (nor can they even tell), and Kroger even encourages it with their Fuel Point promotions, which right now is 4x points on GC purchases.  I certainly understand folks have different opinions, but this is mine.  Smiley Very Happy

Open123 is "not advocating" purchasing cash-equivalent cards, you are talking about store cards which are probably OK to advocate here!

Message 37 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I also see no issue with buying store specific GCs with a grocery reward card.
Message 38 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Do keep in mind that sometimes foregoing the special "grocery " rewards and getting things at walmart and target still comes out cheaper.

Yes, especially as at Target you can use one of their cards to get 5% off, rivalling anything except BCP (which has an AF and cap).

And if you have a 2% card, you are probably going to do better using it at Walmart than using say a BCE at a non-discount store

So you don't have to forego cash rewards either!

Message 39 of 40
hot4u
Established Contributor

Seen good ideas on here ....

Gas theres a good 5% all the time card.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® Card

All you have to do to qualify is

One time Minimum deposit of $20.00 to a money market gives you <Thats what I did

Automatic 5% off your credit card bill each time for gas.

No waiting at end of year etc...

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.