Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gave Capital One a taste of their own medicine

tag
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

Gave Capital One a taste of their own medicine

By now I`m sure everyone knows how little I really care for Crap One. Ive had some credit issues - but the reasons for those credit issues finally met overdue  justice and I got paid.

But back to Cap -1. Everyone knows how they DONT like to increase lines and are willing to leave you at low lines for decades - never unsecure a secured card even when it has become rather evident that cardholder isnt going to default. Meanwhile.... Someone just simply posts on Facebook or emails the EO with a made up reason -- and they ususally cave and give away the bank.

Early last week I go into my local branch to "close" by banking accounts with them. Usually the lobby person closes the account for you while pretending to act like they care. This time, they pulled up the accounts, their eyes did a double take, and made an excuse that they needed to go "talk to someone". Less than 2 minutes later the Branch Manager is out in the lobby inviting me into her office and asking what can she do to keep me there.... I explained I didnt like the way I was being treated by their credit card division... The low limits, and how the bank allows people to game their system while those of us who go by the book get the shaft. She said she would look into it.

2 days later.......

The branch manager calls me and tells me there is nothing she can do as the card division sets its own rules and must follow them. Ok fine, I`ll be there to withdraw my money. I leave the bank with a cashiers check with many, many, many, many zeros and crooked numbers to the left of the decimal. The branch manager is left fuming --realising that her next bonus probably just went away.

The next day....

A VP from Capital One calls me and apologises for any " misunderstandings or inconviences" the bank might have cause me, and offers to personally fix any issues.

Thanks, but NO THANKS.... me and my money are going somewhere else that doesnt play by 2 sets of rules - and denys that the second one even exists.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
acb5456
Regular Contributor

Re: Gave Capital One a taste of their own medicine

That's a great story!! I've never used capital one, but have read several negative stories about them (though I guess every person has a different experience!) Anyway, how did the VP respond? That must have felt great Smiley Happy
Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 2 of 56
Eightiron
Contributor

I'm sorry you feel like its playing the system to call EO. Seems like that would have fixed issues long long ago. They have a phone number for a reason. They help you for a reason. If you have an issue at a department store or restaurant, do you ever have to ask to speak to a manager in order to make things right?

Congrats on all the zeros on your check, and I do hope Cap One feels the pain of you leaving. But you had a telephone number on this forum that could have fixed your headache.

No need to complain because others get what they want by call a different phone number, one that you won't call.

Gardening now for that spring harvest Entered 9/4/13 leaving 4/14
Message 3 of 56
bradpitt
Valued Member

@Eightiron wrote:
I'm sorry you feel like its playing the system to call EO. Seems like that would have fixed issues long long ago. They have a phone number for a reason. They help you for a reason. If you have an issue at a department store or restaurant, do you ever have to ask to speak to a manager in order to make things right?

Congrats on all the zeros on your check, and I do hope Cap One feels the pain of you leaving. But you had a telephone number on this forum that could have fixed your headache.

No need to complain because others get what they want by call a different phone number, one that you won't call.
Your analogy makes no sense.
He did speak to the manager.
What your asking him to do is call the president of the company's office. 
Which if you ask me is a bit extreme to get good service.

Message 4 of 56
subsnao
Regular Contributor

@bradpitt wrote:

@Eightiron wrote:

Your analogy makes no sense.
He did speak to the manager.
What your asking him to do is call the president of the company's office. 
Which if you ask me is a bit extreme to get good service.

People aren't underdtanding what the Cap1 EO really is... You aren;t calling the office of the President or the VP. You are more or less calling a Tier 2 CSR who has more pull in the decision making process than the frontline CSRs do. Its just the same as being escalated to a higher up CSR at any other company.

In the garden as of 2/22/2015
Scores:
TU: 753 (Discover FICO 7/2014) EQ: 721 (FICO 4/2014) EX: 723 (FICO 3/2014)
Message 5 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I'm just somewhat surprised that someone who hates Capital One  (and calling it Crap One!  That is so funny and never gets old.   Except after the first time if not before)

would keep a banking relationship with them with many, many, many zeros for this long.   Why, unless their banking has some features I'm not aware of!

Message 6 of 56
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@lajntx wrote:

But back to Cap -1. Everyone knows how they DONT like to increase lines and are willing to leave you at low lines for decades - never unsecure a secured card even when it has become rather evident that cardholder isnt going to default.

No, everyone does not.  You're assuming based on your experience.  CO unsecured my card when I was rebuilding.

Message 7 of 56
bradpitt
Valued Member

@subsnao wrote:
People aren't underdtanding what the Cap1 EO really is... You aren;t calling the office of the President or the VP. You are more or less calling a Tier 2 CSR who has more pull in the decision making process than the frontline CSRs do. Its just the same as being escalated to a higher up CSR at any other company.

Is the  EO info on there website?  I highly doubt it. 
Can a 80 year old lady that has only the yellow pages in front of her find this number?

Running a business that only takes care of those that complain is bad business.   
Message 8 of 56
subsnao
Regular Contributor

@bradpitt wrote:

@subsnao wrote:

Is the  EO info on there website?  I highly doubt it. 
Can a 80 year old lady that has only the yellow pages in front of her find this number?

Running a business that only takes care of those that complain is bad business.   

Is a direct phone number to Tier 2 or even Tier 3 CS listed on any company website?

No, no it is not. The fact that you disagree with Cap1's business practices, or lack there of, is ancillary to what this discussion is about. OP is angry that they have been with Cap1 for a long time and had a ton of money in their bank and was not receiving the service they deserved. However, the credit division and banking division are almost always two separate entities. Credit is a whole different beast than simple CDs, checking and savings accounts. So what if they have a different set of SOP? 

In the garden as of 2/22/2015
Scores:
TU: 753 (Discover FICO 7/2014) EQ: 721 (FICO 4/2014) EX: 723 (FICO 3/2014)
Message 9 of 56
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'm with the OP on this one.
I had a 1300 C1 card for 6+ years. No defaults of any kind, EVER. After monthly clis requests and denials, I took it to the EO and got a partial cli.
Seems to me it's more profitable to deny every cli, except the dismal amount that gets approved through the EO.
Stupid crapital one
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.